First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been pretty set on getting the Sasquatch, but as time goes on practicality is setting in. I was fine with having to deal having 2 inches of clearance on either side getting into my garage, but I really want a roof rack. As it stands, it appears I’ll have to take the crossbars off to get it in even without Sasquatch.
It all depends on your own situation. Hard to go wrong with any of them.
Sponsored

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That view at the top! Nice to see these clips of what's possible even without lockers and a winch.

If anyone needs footage of me hunting for a parking spot at the mall I got you. ?
We should be able to drive over the parking block to get out of our parking space in the OBX then. Cool.

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm most likely not going on any trails anytime soon that would require 35s...

However when the Sasquatch with 35s, lift, and wider fenders are next to a non-squatched Bronco, there's no comparison.

But when the non-squatched Bronco is by itself, it looks good.

Like everything else with this damn car, I can't make up my mind.

sbledsoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm most likely not going on any trails anytime soon that would require 35s...

However when the Sasquatch with 35s, lift, and wider fenders are next to a non-squatched Bronco, there's no comparison.

But when the non-squatched Bronco is by itself, it looks good.

Like everything else with this damn car, I can't make up my mind.

I know your pain! First I wanted the 2 door obx with high package and sasquatch. Then I thought I wanted the 4 door(bigger gas tank, more room), high package and since there's no Rock climbing here in Louisuana, that I'd just opt for the 33's. Then I watch videos like this and think, damn I'd be crazy to buy a Bronco without the sasquatch, so should I move from the obx to the bd or even the wt?? I'm resolved to the fact that my mind will eventually be decided by the B&P. ????

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Black bear Path scares the $&;/ out of me. Views are amazing but idk if I’d ever do it. Probably not. One wrong move and splat!

Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great tips and videos/photos, thank you!
Those trails are definitely on my must do list, never been to that gorgeous area of the US.

I just watched a couple Black Bear Pass videos and was also wondering how that trail turn assist might make those switchbacks easy, but would definitely practice elsewhere, those drops are no joke. The views of Telluride are incredible!

Thanks again!

PKE956

Wildtrak
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No. I would have tried it if I had automatic disconnect.
FYI... I added an aftermarket manual sway bar disconnect to my Jeep Sahara for cheap ( < $50). I read that the improvement in traction on uneven ground was substantial. A couple of snap pins and the disconnect is done! I would expect that you will be able get something similar for the Bronco. As often as I would use it, I wouldn't want to pay for an automatic one.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is a great overview! thanks

Maxw64

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. Absolutely beautiful country. I hope to make it there one day in the next few years. I will be retiring soon and plan on some exploring out west.

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I had the opportunity to do some really fun trails while in Colorado to see the Bronco. I thought that some of you may find video clips of the trails interesting to help you decide what model/options you want or need. If you are interested in going off road then some of the options may be important to you.

As background - my Wrangler is a 2015 Sahara. Basically the 2015 equivalent of an Outer Banks without Sasquatch. It has 3:21 gears (don’t try to compare numbers directly to the Bronco, but still the worst for off road). It has a 3” lift and 35” Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires. It doesn’t have an automatic sway bar disconnect. It has no lockers ie open differentials.

As far as tires go it’s my opinion that larger are better up to a point on trails. With that said, you can still do most things with 31s or 33s that you can with 35s. Here are my reasons to get the bigger tires:
  1. They look better! The first time you park next to a Bronco with 35s you are going to be wishing you had them.
  2. They can climb over more stuff.
  3. Aired down big tires give a smoother ride on rough roads and trails.
Here are the vid clips and comments on what I think they mean for options. We hit eight or nine main trails on the trip. We were able to do all of them in my Wrangler as equipped. I will be able to do all of them in the Bronco even more easily since I plan on getting a squached Badlands. They are:

Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Engineer’s Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Mineral Creek
Warden Gulch
Ruby Gulch
Leadville Trails

Let’s look at the hardest one that will require the most off-road capability, Poughkeepsie Gulch.

This first clip is me eventually climbing over a relatively small rock obstacle.

From this you can see that it would help to have trail cams or a good spotter. On the first attempt I was too far to the right but couldn’t tell. It almost caused me to flip on my side when the front right tire spun. Trail cams would have helped me pick a better line. It also shows the importance of rock rails. We banged on them several times. Lockers may have helped with the wheel spin and therefore the slipping, but basically I chose a line too far to the passenger side. Lockers were not required on a good line.

These clips are of the hardest obstacle on Poughkeepsie. It is called The Wall. It looks far more challenging in real life than in the vids. There is a warning sign on the way there that says you should have lockers. The drivers of the three vehicles that were there when we arrived said that we would most likely end up needing to winch up.

IMG_0595.JPG

The first clip is going up the first time. We had to do it twice! After I got up we thought that the camera had not worked. So I went back down and did it again! Turns out the camera had worked the first time. D’Oh!

As you can see, you can do a lot without lockers with a good line and proper use of the gas pedal. Lockers would have made it easier. If the rocks were wet I would have needed lockers. High clearance fender flares come into play here as well.

As you can see on the way down you will want the steel bumper if you are going to try things like this.

This clip is just going over some rocks. Mostly shows that big tires are nice to have.

This one is not really a clip. It’s over 5 minutes of unedited footage of Poughkeepsie. Mostly I hope it will inspire those that have not done this sort of thing before to make plans to do so.

And finally, the reward. A mountain lake called Lake Como.

119217996_10223192171942118_6487688852333189416_n.jpg

Here are some short clips of Black Bear Pass. This is not a technical trail. You can do it in a stock Bronco easily.

These are posted to show how cool the trail turn assist would be! I want to go back and use the turn assist on the switchbacks. And another beautiful lunch spot just for inspiration.

119147359_10222921492495495_8121748367163608279_n.jpg

Finally, here is an edited video of Warden Gulch. Any stock Bronco can make it here. If the Squatch is not in your set budget, no worries. You can still get most places. In this case we were completely alone for miles. I like the security of a winch when alone, but you can get to places like this easily with the capabilities of an unmodified base model.

My personal recommendation if you think there is any chance at all that you may get to go on some medium/hard trails is to have lockers, a winch, 35s, and sway bar disconnect. The sway bar disconnect hasn’t been as important in my experience so far. It may be on future trails. I would also like to have a bit more lift. The lower gears of the Squatch package would be nice as well. So basically, get the Sasquatch if you think there is any chance of getting on some decent trails. I have wished that I bought the Rubicon instead of my Sahara many times. I won’t make that mistake again. But if it’s not in your set budget, no worries. The base model is going to get you to most places.
Thank you and the wife for the Great videos, 3 things I took away from your videos, #1 trail turn assist is looking like a good option, #2 wish the rock rails on the New Bronco were out a little farther but I'm sure Ford or the aftermarket will have something coming out and #3 good thing nobody was coming the other direction on some of those trails, again great videos Thank you both?

BWONCOSWULE!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
nice vids! I just got back from Telluride, did the alpine loop and black bear pass in a stock jeep with highway tires. Aired down to 23psi tho. so much fun!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good times and thank you for sharing!

That pan in portrait mode hurt my soul, though, lol.