Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Come on people!!! Don't talk me out of the 2 door...It's iconic, but maybe not as practical. Now I'm thinking and it's depressing.
Sponsored

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This thread is interesting because I’m the inverse. Due to kids, I just conceded 4 door to start. Now I’ve worked my way to 2 door.
I've got 2 little kids and have been 2 dr from the start. Everyone getting into my backseat would be less than 4 ft tall for the next 4+ years, they can climb in and buckle themselves up so no back problems for me, and if we decide to take it on a beach trip, a hitch mounted carrier + roof rack will let me carry anything we need to bring.

TD723

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500, 2017 Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ll hate to admit it, but the 4 doors are looking better every day. Love the classic look if the 2 door Bronco’s and besides, I already have a 4 door wrangler.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Madsjim

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 XLT 5. 0
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, first of all what I write below isn't a criticism of wanting a 4 door, which is all good. It's directed more towards swaying those who think they need a 4 door.

Bear in mind that Overlanding channels on Youtube, or social media influencers take it to the extreme. I mean that in regards to the vehicles and amount of equipment they pack. In my opinion it's outstandingly impractical in cost and need. I've seen some trip reports where they put themselves in just stupidly dangerous situations because of their overconfidence.

What they call 'overlanding' is another man's Sheep Wagon hauled up to a meadow with the ol' ranch pickup. You don't need much to get out and enjoy the outdoors while remaining nimble and maneuverable.

Overlanding channels make you feel like you need 'this' or need 'that'. Soon, the whole purpose of overlanding shifts from actually enjoying the outdoors, to a constant pursuit of acquiring all the crap you now have to haul all the way out there. If you use your Bronco as a DD, then you have to pack and unpack all that crap every time you head out. Now, estimate how many weekends you'll head out each year, accounting for the seasons and your personal preferences. What's the breakdown on cost per trip after you outfit that sucker? How many trips before it theoretically pays for itself? Starts to become obvious that these 'Overlanders' are folks with some sort of inexhaustible source of funds or YOLO attitudes with credit.

The best channels are the dirt baggers you make it work with a '99 Tacoma and plywood.

So, I see only three reason to own a 4 door:
1. Because you think it's cool.
2. You need a 5th seat
3. You want to sleep in the back of it.

A properly equipped 2 door will get you out enjoying the outdoors. Yakima/Thule roof rack with a Sky box can hold all your soft goods. You can fit a few other odds and ends up there as well. Become a minimalist with your cooking equipment so that it stores efficiently behind the second row with a decent cooler. Forget the roof top tent, and save some money with a hammock or good tent with thick pads or a cot.

I'm just surprised how many people outfit themselves like Safari guides to ramble about the western United States like it's the boonies of Africa or Siberia. It's just silly.

Sponsored

Broncie

Raptor
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I initially reserved a 4 door due to the extra space, but I've been team 2 door ever since. Will the 4 door have more space and practicality? Of course. But I love the look of the 2 door. It's a bit more unique and fun, I think it might have a more nimble driving experience, and a little easier to maneuver into smaller areas. I also have no spouse or kids, so that helps a lot im sure, lol.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude..... I could never, one keeps me busy enough.
Eh, it's not so bad. My legal wife and I have been together 20 years. Wifey 2 and her kids moved in over 4 years ago. It's hectic sometimes but we've got a pretty good groove going now.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eh, it's not so bad. My legal wife and I have been together 20 years. Wifey 2 and her kids moved in over 4 years ago. It's hectic sometimes but we've got a pretty good groove going now.

Madsjim

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 XLT 5. 0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right on man, you're post makes me laugh seeing you're from Independence.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Come on people!!! Don't talk me out of the 2 door...It's iconic, but maybe not as practical. Now I'm thinking and it's depressing.
I've been there. Told my wife my thoughts and she basically told me that I didn't seem very excited about the 4 door and mentioned how I've always hated 4 door Jeeps. She told me to get the 4 door and if there are ever kids involved, we still have a 4 door truck available

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, first of all what I write below isn't a criticism of wanting a 4 door, which is all good. It's directed more towards swaying those who think they need a 4 door.

Bear in mind that Overlanding channels on Youtube, or social media influencers take it to the extreme. I mean that in regards to the vehicles and amount of equipment they pack. In my opinion it's outstandingly impractical in cost and need. I've seen some trip reports where they put themselves in just stupidly dangerous situations because of their overconfidence.

What they call 'overlanding' is another man's Sheep Wagon hauled up to a meadow with the ol' ranch pickup. You don't need much to get out and enjoy the outdoors while remaining nimble and maneuverable.

Overlanding channels make you feel like you need 'this' or need 'that'. Soon, the whole purpose of overlanding shifts from actually enjoying the outdoors, to a constant pursuit of acquiring all the crap you now have to haul all the way out there. If you use your Bronco as a DD, then you have to pack and unpack all that crap every time you head out. Now, estimate how many weekends you'll head out each year, accounting for the seasons and your personal preferences. What's the breakdown on cost per trip after you outfit that sucker? How many trips before it theoretically pays for itself? Starts to become obvious that these 'Overlanders' are folks with some sort of inexhaustible source of funds or YOLO attitudes with credit.

The best channels are the dirt baggers you make it work with a '99 Tacoma and plywood.

2. You need a 5th seat

A properly equipped 2 door will get you out enjoying the outdoors. Yakima/Thule roof rack with a Sky box can hold all your soft goods. You can fit a few other odds and ends up there as well. Become a minimalist with your cooking equipment so that it stores efficiently behind the second row with a decent cooler. Forget the roof top tent, and save some money with a hammock or good tent with thick pads or a cot.

I'm just surprised how many people outfit themselves like Safari guides to ramble about the western United States like it's the boonies of Africa or Siberia. It's just silly.
Very wise words to those who haven't done a lot of this type of thing.
It's is akin to the money-dropping paintball crowd who come out to a field dressed in head-to-toe swag and break out ghillie suits and optics.

My main sways for going 4 door (and I resisted it for quite a while, believe me) were convenient to my needs from now and for the next 4 or so years, longer if Grandkids come along.
We make it a point to have a meaningful vacation annually. Something I never did, something our family never got to until about 8 years ago.
The ability for the backseat teens to have and share in that free feeling of having the top AND doors off beside you weighed heavily on me.
I enjoyed my YJ when I was a lone ranger type, had one of those cool foot pegs on the door hinge pipe where I could rest my leg out. Short of being on a motorcycle, it's hard to describe how cool that experience is to those who never experienced it.
And I want them to enjoy the journey along with the destination. I just think it means more.
And on the plus side, they can get in and out at will and not have to squeeze in through the opening of a Squatched Bronc. I have no plans for steps or rails.
It just works for me and my situation better. But everyone is different.
It's like trying to convince a die-hard Area 51 guy that Race Red is better for him. We all have our individual needs/wants/tastes.

OP
OP
rgwinn

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

2. You need a 5th seat

I don’t disagree with you, you definitely have to look past the “sales pitch” and please visit our sponsor! My take is that if I want to weekend out off of a trail, without a trailer, then yes, you do need to carry a few things. Years ago I had a ‘72 Blazer (2-door) with the rear seat removed so had a ton of room for junk, ok built a small custom camp kitchen and had a cooler and a tent. Plus a couple chairs. Not a lot but I think more than would fit in a 2-door Bronco. . . . maybe? Really will be interesting to see what the 2-door looks like with the backseat removed.

Cheers and Happy Trails.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was originally 4-dr only to have the extra space. But in the 17 years of driving my 4-dr Jeep Liberty, I can count on one hand how many times people have rode in the back. My doggo will have the rear. I intend to rear-seat delete and go with a plate system like Goose Gear.

I'll keep my Liberty as a DD (It only has 85K miles on it) and the 2-dr Bronco will be a toy.

Obi-Wan Broncoby

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Somebody needs to change the title of this thread to "Rethinking the 2 wives"
Sponsored