First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love rowing gears as much as anyone, but I'm going with the 2.7tt/10a for the 2021 Bronco 2-door for these 3 reasons:
1) Towing. I want to pull a camper close to the 3,500 pound limit so I want the most power along with tow/haul mode. (I know I'll get flamed for this one... ?)

2) I want the 1 pedal low speed driving feature

3) That cool Trail turn feature

Bronco trail turn.gif
Th Mts have that feature but you do it with the throttle instead of the brakes. Still a cool and powerful feature for the uninitiated, but we are initiated, as members of the league of manuals.
Ford Bronco Ford explains why no manual with 2.7L Bronco images (11)

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Th Mts have that feature but you do it with the throttle instead of the brakes. Still a cool and powerful feature for the uninitiated, but we are initiated, as members of the league of manuals.
Ford Bronco Ford explains why no manual with 2.7L Bronco images (11)
I'm definitely a member: 71 Bronco, 85, 93, 2011 Mustangs ?

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

100% agree. Gearing is everything off road. This drives me crazy - People are under estimating the 2.3 MT combo and the 2.7 is going to be way too powerful to use in the rocks with a manual. Could be done but would cause the tires to slip more and just be more of a PITA. The only reason I can think of is to drive a 2.7 manual to work and drive it like a sports car? ?‍♂ I have a 2.7 in my F150 with 3.55 rear and it runs like a scalded dog, the bronco with a 2.7 auto would be good speeding through sand dunes or a 2.7 MT to speed to the mall ? I’m just saying the 2.3 MT or auto will be more than enough (with the gearing) to do what 95%+ are going to do with or without Sasquatch.
I agree the 2.3l is probably sufficient, but I don't think I could ever hear myself saying "Dang this 2.7l V6 has way too much power".

Sponsored
OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
According to consultancy AutoPacific, only about 5% of U.S. buyers opt for a manual transmission in new cars and trucks — though it can range up to 25% for performance cars such as the Ford Mustang.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to consultancy AutoPacific, only about 5% of U.S. buyers opt for a manual transmission in new cars and trucks — though it can range up to 25% for performance cars such as the Ford Mustang.
that’s what happens if they are available or order able. I’ve had to order my last two vehicles because of this

rand442002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 would be great, but I think most who actually do take the MT will be happy with the 2.3. I’m excited about the mansquatch and find little to complain about.

Lots of complainers, sure, but how many of them were really going to get the MT or even a Bronco at all? I’m all in because of the MT.
Your excited about the mansquatch and it sounds like many others are as well and that's great. If that's what you really wanted I'm happy for you. But would Ford have made that available without the "complainers"? If we don't make our issues known then they don't at least have the opportunity to fix the problem.
And the take rate argument never made sense to me either. What about the offer rate? A quick look at the Jeep dealers around me shows 4 manuals available. That's the 1 major Jeep dealer with 3 locations in Montana and also includes all Jeep dealers from Montana all the way thru North Idaho and to Spokane Washington. Considering most buy right off the lot, of course the take rate will be incredibly low if the offer rate is that low.

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because everything that is offered has to be designed, tooled up and tested. There's a lot of cost involved with doing that. If the take rate is too low, they don't make the money back to offset the investment. If they don't make the money back, they aren't going to make a profit on that part. If they don't make a profit, they do not offer the part in the future.

So, the "solution" to the take rate makes the issue worse.
But that cost wouldn't be as drastic as making a whole new transmission at the request of buyers, the transmission exists already it's going to be put into production, I don't think it would require such an enormous amount of money to bolt it to the 2.7 and send it out to the test track. If there really is a mechanical or engineering issue, like the clutch slips and gets roasted when it's in the crawl gear on the 35's because it's too much torque and would need a whole new clutch to work with the 2.7, than I would be at peace with that. But for the only reason they are stating themselves is that not enough people buy it is their reason than that's a bit annoying and sounds like the accountants are making the decision for the people. Once again maybe the take rate is so low because it's not offered or hard to come by. I wanted the manual but at the same time I know I would always desire the 2.7 so I'm going to get the 2.7 with the auto, not because I prefer the auto but because that's the only option I have to get the engine I want. What would impress me and make me more loyal of a customer is to see a company actually take a risk rather than let accounts and computer algorithms make the decisions for them. That's not pioneering or being a trailblazer, that's maintaining the status quo.

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TL;DR - It wasn't worth the cost to offer because "take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low"
So they choose not to develop a manual for the engine that will be more sought after because take rates are low. Maybe they would've been higher paired to the 2.7L. Or Maybe if more people get the manual currently offered, they'll add the manual to the 2.7L, but lets be real that probably won't happen.

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is the same stupid reasoning that makes every vehicle look practically identical across different brands. I don't even know how they got the Bronco approved with that kind of mentality.

If they are worried about demand, why don't they just offer a manual V6 exclusively with a reservation? Build to order. You can still pump out the endless parade of high end packages paired with automatic transmission for the dealerships to lap up and let them sit on their lots for the plebs.

If the Bronco is about OPTIONS like their marketing department has claimed, then why not give us OPTIONS? Especially, if it is built to order and reserved?

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But that cost wouldn't be as drastic as making a whole new transmission at the request of buyers, the transmission exists already it's going to be put into production, I don't think it would require such an enormous amount of money to bolt it to the 2.7 and send it out to the test track. If there really is a mechanical or engineering issue, like the clutch slips and gets roasted when it's in the crawl gear on the 35's because it's too much torque and would need a whole new clutch to work with the 2.7, than I would be at peace with that. But for the only reason they are stating themselves is that not enough people buy it is their reason than that's a bit annoying and sounds like the accountants are making the decision for the people. Once again maybe the take rate is so low because it's not offered or hard to come by. I wanted the manual but at the same time I know I would always desire the 2.7 so I'm going to get the 2.7 with the auto, not because I prefer the auto but because that's the only option I have to get the engine I want. What would impress me and make me more loyal of a customer is to see a company actually take a risk rather than let accounts and computer algorithms make the decisions for them. That's not pioneering or being a trailblazer, that's maintaining the status quo.
I'm hopeful that if enough people buy the manual in the Bronco, Ford will see that people will buy manuals and add a manual to the 2.7L or add some other V6 with a manual. But take rates for all manufacturing companies that offer a manual, the Hyundai Venue for the first year had a manual and they all ready announced it will no longer be offered. I know it's no sports car but it was a new vehicle with a manual. Even BMW is struggling to get people to by their cars with manuals.

-=[P@]=-

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger 4.0L, '18 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK. My thoughts are that the 2.3L has more than enough HP & Q to get it done, but the direct inject valves get dirty and did not start life as a boosted engine. The 2.7L has Port injectors that help keep valves cleaner longer. I also have always believed needing 70% of a bigger engines power makes it last longer than using 85-90% of a lesser engine. Without using wiz-bang techie stuff I can slide the rear around a corner rather than drag a wheel. Power, gearing and being in control are a lot more fun than having the Tech do all the thinking for you and isn't having fun and beating the challenge what off-roading is about?

I don't want an automatic or the 2.3L for My reasons!
Either way it's still a coin toss decision at this point!
If I take 2.3L+Manual, Tuning the engine, I'm sure to need engine work sooner than later...
If I take 2.7L+Auto, Tuning shift points, I'm sure to be in the same boat with Trans...

All the above being My truths and worries... I can also understand Cali's CARB rules helped make the sky in LA blue again and that is a big deal. If your not old enough to remember the 70's ask someone who is.

The rules of CARB are what drive all the testing and costs that an Auto-manufacturer must go through to put out different configurations and the expense/sales ratio being low does not keep any Auto-manufacturer in business.
Be happy we are still aloud a choice... both High HP and off-roading could be illegal! That would be much worse than still waiting on B&P and reading my whining about not having "My Bronco, My Way"!

PLEASE beat Me up, tell Me where I'm right or wrong. I need the help. BL decision was easy the engine / trans is killing me! Such a 1st world problem!
Sponsored