First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You could always rent a uhaul and test it just like the TFL guys do before you buy something. Throw some weight in it and run about, find some hills and see how it feels.
The biggest trailer UHaul rents is a 12ft long x 6ft wide x ~6ft tall with dual axles.

That will give you a very different set of dynamics, especially in windy conditions, when compared to an RV with much larger surface area, especially in windy conditions.

Even though it's been mentioned countless times, I'll restate, it's not the engine that is limiting the tow rating. The same engines in the Ranger and F-150 tow heavy loads up mountains ok.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The biggest trailer UHaul rents is a 12ft long x 6ft wide x ~6ft tall with dual axles.

That will give you a very different set of dynamics, especially in windy conditions, when compared to an RV with much larger surface area, especially in windy conditions.

Even though it's been mentioned countless times, I'll restate, it's not the engine that is limiting the tow rating. The same engines in the Ranger and F-150 tow heavy loads up mountains ok.
The only difference between the ranger and Bronco is leaf springs. So.... firestone bags and your good for whatever works behind a Ranger. By that logic. Also if you have high winds for high wind testing you can ratchet strap some plywood to the top of that uhaul and get your idea there after loading it up with some logs for weight. If your gonna spend 20,000 on a trailer why not spend a thousand on testing. Lots of ways to do it. Either solve the problems or just give up and stay home. Unless Im on a job, and getting paid do do things the easy way, I will always try to figure out a better way.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only difference between the ranger and Bronco is leaf springs.
I'm not sure yet if that is true.

Hitch?
Oil cooler?
Radiator / fan / air flow?
Transmission cooler?
Brakes?

There may be a few more differences than the rear springs.

I get it, if you start thinking logically, it seems like the Bronco should be able to tow more than 3,500 lb. At very worst, it should be able to tow an RV right up to the 3,500 limit.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not sure yet if that is true.

Hitch?
Oil cooler?
Radiator / fan / air flow?
Transmission cooler?
Brakes?

There may be a few more differences than the rear springs.

I get it, if you start thinking logically, it seems like the Bronco should be able to tow more than 3,500 lb. At very worst, it should be able to tow an RV right up to the 3,500 limit.
I did mention to address most of those items in my other post. I would personally be using the 7 speed so the trans cooler isnt needed for myself. I think the fact that it has a granny gear is perfect for towing. However adding a cooler is really quite simple getting the right flare on the lines is the hardest part. Oil cooler, I dont think is necessary till you start getting up to much larger trailers, however having oiled turbos does give you access to engine oil for plumbing if necessary. Hitch, absolutely but it sounds like the general concensus is that the tow package is not worth the cost for what you get. The brakes should be fine and anything over 4500 lb is supposed to have a controller anyways. The only real wild card is the air flow however the fact that they have active grill shutters leads me to believe that airflow is plentiful and even limited at times for some reason(winters?).

So if you are going to try to pull a 6000lb RV with your Bronco. You would do the world a favor to properly equip it for that.

Firestone Air bags $300-$500
Trans Cooler $200
Oil Cooler(if needed) $100
Brake controller and Light wiring $200
Hitch and weight distributor $500

So add $1300-$1500 to your trailer price. If one isnt capable of these modifications I wouldnt ever go to a average mechanic who would charge much more than $1000 for all that. A Uhaul dealer that has a shop should take car of most of it. Choosing a trailer with a decent aero profile would be wise aswell.

Just keep in mind that safe driving is the most important factor. Farmers and the like will often tow more than double what their equipment is rated for out of necessity. Thats why they going down a 55mph country road at 40mph downhill.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been trying to target a 2500-2600 lb dry trailer to leave about 900 extra for stuff. it adds up real quick.
Yep, my small offroad camper has a dry weight of just over 2100lbs but with all the gear, 40gal of fresh water, diesel, food/clothes for 2 people & 2 dogs etc. it weighs in at 3,390lbs.

Sponsored

TDub73

Badlands
First Name
Tariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With what we know now could I tow this? Iā€™m trying to find a travel trailer that my wife and I could use with a Bronco. She wants to go with me and she has settled on this lightweight trailer. Iā€™m no expert so Iā€™m asking the smarter people in the room
D6BB4402-AD4C-4255-A1F8-5CEDEC94AECE.png
This is what I am looking at because of the same concern you have. I wanted something small and compact, but can also go where the bronco can go.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Maybe if you take a second vehicle for people and gear.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By comparing to the Ranger alone, it looks like the 4-door 2.7L will comfortably tow 3500. I'm not getting a trailer until I see some real world results though.

My ideal trailer is the E-Pro E19BH. Bunks for my two kids, queen for my wife and I, shower, solar for extended getaways and pretty much all the bells and whistles one could want. It's borderline on weight though once loaded with water and all of our crap. At this point I'm hopeful but ready to look for lighter options.

OP
OP
gocats132

gocats132

Base
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
By comparing to the Ranger alone, it looks like the 4-door 2.7L will comfortably tow 3500. I'm not getting a trailer until I see some real world results though.

My ideal trailer is the E-Pro E19BH. Bunks for my two kids, queen for my wife and I, shower, solar for extended getaways and pretty much all the bells and whistles one could want. It's borderline on weight though once loaded with water and all of our crap. At this point I'm hopeful but ready to look for lighter options.
I like that, itā€™s just me and the wife and a dog so may be the 19fd

sbledsoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm looking at the E-pro 19fd because we love the Murphy bed. It's 2829lbs uvw, so it is close to the limit. I wouldn't tow it far with full tanks. The only reason would be if I was boondocking. Once we get the gvwr etc we'll be able to narrow down our options.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking at the E-pro 19fd because we love the Murphy bed. It's 2829lbs uvw, so it is close to the limit. I wouldn't tow it far with full tanks. The only reason would be if I was boondocking. Once we get the gvwr etc we'll be able to narrow down our options.
Yeah, that's a great choice if you don't have kids. Honestly, out of all the trailers I've researched, the E-Pro line is my favorite. Check out some walk-around videos on youtube if you haven't already.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes. Just make sure it has at least surge brakes and youā€™ll be ok. A load balancing hitch may help too, but you can add that later if you feel the rear end is dropping too much.

sbledsoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah, that's a great choice if you don't have kids. Honestly, out of all the trailers I've researched, the E-Pro line is my favorite. Check out some walk-around videos on youtube if you haven't already.
I agree completely! It checks all our boxes. The bhs is a great one for those with kids. Just the perfect little caller for most I would think. I've watched every video I could on them. And most of them multiple times lol

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

pretty much decided E-Pro is the ticket just waiting on final specs to dial it in, some models are lighter than others depending on layout. I only need for 2 people.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree completely! It checks all our boxes. The bhs is a great one for those with kids. Just the perfect little caller for most I would think. I've watched every video I could on them. And most of them multiple times lol
Yeah, if I could pull it, I would definitely go with the E20BHS. The slide really opens up the dining area.

It's a jump in weight though and unless the Bronco 2.7L 4-door gets an updated tow rating of 5000lb and a higher hitch rating, it's not going to work.

E19BH: Hitch Weight of 360lb and UVW of 3088lb.
E20BHS: Hitch Weight of 455 lb. and UVW of 3513 lb.

The E19BH will already be borderline once loaded.
Sponsored