Sponsored

Help With Lockers, Bumpers and Stuff Requested (Base vs BD?)

30ips

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I am not a professional off road dude. I did grow up spending a lot of time driving jeeps and 4WD vehicles off road, on beaches etc. I’ve had a Wrangler or two and I’ve done a lot of deep sand and minor off-road things. I have zero experience rock crawling. Except on a motorcycle, and that’s not crawling, that’s a whole other thing.

I am trying to decide between the base and the Black Diamond. And I don’t know enough to make an informed decision, and I‘d appreciate guidance. One caveat: I’m not planning on building a crazy off-road rag. This will be my daily driver as well as something I can get out into the sticks in on weekends and vacations.

I completely understand what lockers do, and I understand the difference between that and an LSD, but never having driven a vehicle with a locker I’m not sure if it’s something that will make a difference in the sort of driving I’ll personally be doing. Which, as I said, probably involves few rocks, but a lot of sand and/or mud stuff. Think soft beach, think Everglades-type areas in Florida, think muddy woodsy areas, think snotty rooty woods, think sandy two-track. Are lockers a substantial advantage there? Conceptually I‘d think yes, but I don’t have the experience to know.

Often I think I might be better off buying the base and just getting some good tires for the sorts of areas I want to be driving. At the same time, lockers sound cool. The concepts sounds cool if you know what I mean.

And then there’s the whole bumper thing. I’ve never installed a winch, though a few times with my Wrangler I wished I’d had one. So, being a bit of a loner, I’m thinking I’ll probably want one on my bronco. Can I mount one on the base bumpers, or do I need to replace them with steel bumpers?

Between that, the tires, and the locker, If those are things that would better suit what I’m looking for, it probably makes sense to go Black Diamond even though it’s six or seven grand more expensive. And the bonus with the Black Diamond is the cool interior and the rubber floor stuff, and the auxiliary switches.

So a part of me just wants to go cool factor and grab the Black Diamond, but I want to be sensible as well. And if the money I’ll save by buying a base can be put into better choices as I roll my own, I’d rather do that. I know a lot of you know a lot more than I do about this sort of stuff, and I’m hoping you can help me out.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you go offroading even once a month to anything slick, steep, or soft, I would Sasquatch any trim level you can afford and add the modular bumper or whatever on that ford offers that mounts a winch, go to harbor freight and buy one for $300. Then you will be just fine. If you ever see any mud you will be glad you have lockers and 35s.

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll be buying a Base ManSquatch, and will get the modular bumper if Squatch doesn't jack the price too high. Otherwise, I'm sure the aftermarket will offer some really cool bumpers shortly after the things go on sale. I think I could always go back and get a better bumper later, without having to roll the bumper cost into my monthly payment.
Lockers are 100% worth having if you do any offroad driving at all. There is nothing more frustrating that having a tire in mud, and a tire on solid ground, and being stuck because the one with traction won't turn. Since I've started adding lockers or welding diffs on my offroad toys, I almost NEVER get stuck anymore, maybe once a year. I take my jeep out at least twice a month and put it through its paces. It is only on 33's. 35's are even better!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a rear locker is beneficial in many off road situations. I typically leave mine off unless I get slowed down by an obstacle and then engage it when needed. It’s sort of a safety net. I am sure a front locker would come in handy (especially for rocks) but I haven’t had one, so I won’t comment on them. As far as the modular bumper, the winch installed on one of the Broncos that has been at shows does not look great to me. It just kind of sticks out, like an add on. I may skip the factory modular and go aftermarket. I wish I could sit in a BD and drive one to see how the marine vinyl feels and how much louder (if any) the washout floor is. I have full rubber liners in my F150 now and they never come out when driving, so I don’t know why I need carpet other than sound deadening. I am in a lot of sand as well and carpet is a sand magnet.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I am not a professional off road dude. I did grow up spending a lot of time driving jeeps and 4WD vehicles off road, on beaches etc. I’ve had a Wrangler or two and I’ve done a lot of deep sand and minor off-road things. I have zero experience rock crawling. Except on a motorcycle, and that’s not crawling, that’s a whole other thing.

I am trying to decide between the base and the Black Diamond. And I don’t know enough to make an informed decision, and I‘d appreciate guidance. One caveat: I’m not planning on building a crazy off-road rag. This will be my daily driver as well as something I can get out into the sticks in on weekends and vacations.

I completely understand what lockers do, and I understand the difference between that and an LSD, but never having driven a vehicle with a locker I’m not sure if it’s something that will make a difference in the sort of driving I’ll personally be doing. Which, as I said, probably involves few rocks, but a lot of sand and/or mud stuff. Think soft beach, think Everglades-type areas in Florida, think muddy woodsy areas, think snotty rooty woods, think sandy two-track. Are lockers a substantial advantage there? Conceptually I‘d think yes, but I don’t have the experience to know.

Often I think I might be better off buying the base and just getting some good tires for the sorts of areas I want to be driving. At the same time, lockers sound cool. The concepts sounds cool if you know what I mean.

And then there’s the whole bumper thing. I’ve never installed a winch, though a few times with my Wrangler I wished I’d had one. So, being a bit of a loner, I’m thinking I’ll probably want one on my bronco. Can I mount one on the base bumpers, or do I need to replace them with steel bumpers?

Between that, the tires, and the locker, If those are things that would better suit what I’m looking for, it probably makes sense to go Black Diamond even though it’s six or seven grand more expensive. And the bonus with the Black Diamond is the cool interior and the rubber floor stuff, and the auxiliary switches.

So a part of me just wants to go cool factor and grab the Black Diamond, but I want to be sensible as well. And if the money I’ll save by buying a base can be put into better choices as I roll my own, I’d rather do that. I know a lot of you know a lot more than I do about this sort of stuff, and I’m hoping you can help me out.
You can get the rear locker on the Big Bend as an option (~$500). I was set on the BD until I realized this. Good was to save a couple grand! A winch is very expensive and no way you'll get you money's worth from it unless you are hard core. Suggestion: Buy a good tow strap for $25. I live in Miami Beach and won't get vinyl seats because they make you sweat your balls off.

1) Rear locker - A must
2) Winch - A waste
3) Metal front bumper - see #2

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can get the rear locker on the Big Bend as an option (~$500). I was set on the BD until I realized this.....
where is the info on a $500 for rear locker?

going price for a single selectable locker runs about a grand. $500 is a steal If true.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can get the rear locker on the Big Bend as an option (~$500). I was set on the BD until I realized this. Good was to save a couple grand! A winch is very expensive and no way you'll get you money's worth from it unless you are hard core. Suggestion: Buy a good tow strap for $25. I live in Miami Beach and won't get vinyl seats because they make you sweat your balls off.

1) Rear locker - A must
2) Winch - A waste
3) Metal front bumper - see #2
Winches are often more helpful for your friends that dont have lockers but the OP said he wheels alone a good bit. So at minimum 3 straps(2 long ones and a tree strap) and a hi-lift jack or come-along. And shackles. If you solo wheel near roots or rocks both a high lift and comealong can be very handy when you hook a tire. Ask the bent frame on my first CJ7 how I know. After cranking the come along on and not getting anywhere because of a hooked tire underwater. I hopped in to try and move but my shifter was jammed against my seat!

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
where is the info on a $500 for rear locker?

going price for a single selectable locker runs about a grand. $500 is a steal If true.
That's my assumption given that Sasquatch on the Black Diamond is discounted by $500 since it already comes with the rear locker.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A winch is very expensive and no way you'll get you money's worth from it unless you are hard core.
Until the day you venture off by yourself and get stuck. That winch just went from expensive to priceless in a blink of an eye. A good winch can be had for $500

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Factory lockers are way cheaper than doing it later. Bumpers can be done later. The aftermarket will go crazy with bumper and winch options. They are likely less expensive than the factory offerings and very easy to install. Tires, most of the time the factory tires are garbage. In the case of the Bronco the Wrangler "mud terrain" looks pretty good.

OP
OP
30ips

30ips

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks so much for all the info everyone - I really appreciate it. if the locker is available on BB then maybe I’ll look at that. Of course, I have had a hard time justifying the Big Bend other than the ability to get additional options. In and of itself it doesn’t seem like a great value, And as someone in another thread said it almost seems like it’s there to get people to upgrade to the Black diamond.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll offer the locker as an option on the base, too. I doubt it, but you never know.

OP
OP
30ips

30ips

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in Miami Beach and won't get vinyl seats because they make you sweat your balls off.
Really good point about vinyl seats. Wasn’t thinking about that. I’m in Palm Beach County and swore off leather, I dont know how I didn’t connect that thinking to vinyl.

I’m not convinced a winch is a waste, if only because if I’m alone a tow strap’s not gonna get me out anything. On the other hand, I have a literally never used a winch. I’ve always seemed to be able to figure something out.

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I live in Miami Beach and won't get vinyl seats because they make you sweat your balls off.
In Miami here ?

Same thinking on the vinyl. I'm leaning basesquatch with 2.7 and aux right now. Literally everything else can be done or at least mitigated by the aftermarket. Not convinced big bend plus mid is worth it at about 6.5k over base.
Sponsored