Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My only fear with the 2.7 is that I have had horrible luck with them. I was an early adopter in a 2016 F-150 sport. If I remember correctly, that one had the 6 speed auto 4x2. It starter smoking on startup with 3,00 miles on it. The dealership replaced the cylinder heads. At 9,000 miles it started spluttering an low speeds. Ford pulled the whole engine and replaced it. Everything was fine for another 7000 miles or so and then it sputtered and died at a stoplight never to run again as far as I am aware.

Ford did not fight me on buying it back, and I have had nothing but good experience with my other Ford vehicles including my prior F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, so I amwilling to keep buying their products.

That leaves we with this decision as I was worried about the 2.3 powerwise, but this review helped push me back to making it the leading option again.

Thank you for the through review, looks like I am going to the dealership this weekend.
I noticed the weight for the 4 door Bronco is about 1000 lbs heaver than the ranger. What is your thought on power for that additional weight?
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed the weight for the 4 door Bronco is about 1000 lbs heaver than the ranger. What is your thought on power for that additional weight?
depends which 4 door. The Ranger crew cab is about 4400 lbs and based on Fords specs, the 4 door Bronco ranges from 4500-5300 lbs. I’m assuming the Base 4 door 2.3 Manual is lightest. I would think there would be a noticeable difference with almost an extra 1000 pounds.

RadMan24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've mentioned this weight aspect in the 2.7L manual petition thread -- but you can't discount the effect has of 500 or more lbs on acceleration, and overall feel, particularly with the 4 cylinder. The ranger could smoke a 4-door wrangler, but can it smoke a 2-door wrangler v6?

You did the right thing test driving the ranger, to get a feel for the powertrain, which is one of the key aspects to having fun in a lifestyle vehicle.

The Jeep V6 manual is quite fun to drive. The Diesel Wrangler is even more of a beast off road than anything the Bronco can offer, at the expense of an auto transmission and price tag.

The 2.7L is by far a superior engine than the 2.3L in not only performance, but durability. If you don't mind Ford's 10-speed auto (not as smooth as Jeep's 8-speed), then the 2.7L can't do you wrong, especially if you crave that performance high speed aspect.

For those who like to shift your own gears, we're left pondering an unknown transmission coupled with a 4 cylinder with potential longevity issues (i.e. carbon build up on and its impact on performance). We also don't know the price gap between the two models based on engine option.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've mentioned this weight aspect in the 2.7L manual petition thread -- but you can't discount the effect has of 500 or more lbs on acceleration, and overall feel, particularly with the 4 cylinder. The ranger could smoke a 4-door wrangler, but can it smoke a 2-door wrangler v6?

You did the right thing test driving the ranger, to get a feel for the powertrain, which is one of the key aspects to having fun in a lifestyle vehicle.

The Jeep V6 manual is quite fun to drive. The Diesel Wrangler is even more of a beast off road than anything the Bronco can offer, at the expense of an auto transmission and price tag.

The 2.7L is by far a superior engine than the 2.3L in not only performance, but durability. If you don't mind Ford's 10-speed auto (not as smooth as Jeep's 8-speed), then the 2.7L can't do you wrong, especially if you crave that performance high speed aspect.

For those who like to shift your own gears, we're left pondering an unknown transmission coupled with a 4 cylinder with potential longevity issues (i.e. carbon build up on and its impact on performance). We also don't know the price gap between the two models based on engine option.
a lot of people claiming that the durability and longevity of the 4cyl is reduced without much data to back up the claims. Carbon build up with DI engines has been around for years on many cars and is manageable. If the 2.7 were available in manual, I would get it without question, not because it’s Perceived more durable or has port injection, but because it has .4 L more displacement, makes more power stock and will make more potentially when modified..

RadMan24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
a lot of people claiming that the durability and longevity of the 4cyl is reduced without much data to back up the claims. Carbon build up with DI engines has been around for years on many cars and is manageable. If the 2.7 were available in manual, I would get it without question, not because it’s Perceived more durable or has port injection, but because it has .4 L more displacement, makes more power stock and will make more potentially when modified..
Oh, the research is out there. A 2.3L will not have the same power at 50k, 75k, or 100k as it did new. The 2.7L will not have this problem, assuming you use premium fuel.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I guess Ford's designation for the 7 speed is MT-88. Getrag calls it the 7MTI550:
uld-come-with-7-speed-manual-transmission-129249_1.jpg
Even at the basic build, that 550 nm equates to about 400-430 ft tq. That's plenty of input-torque handling for the 2.3 and viable safety margin on top. I do wonder if they scaled it up reasonably for the application?

The output torque with the 95:1 crawl ratio will be something else! Betting this thing could easily get many, many, many tons rolling from a stop.

Oh, the research is out there. A 2.3L will not have the same power at 50k, 75k, or 100k as it did new. The 2.7L will not have this problem, assuming you use premium fuel.
I have not found supporting information to support your claim with dyno charts of a bone-stock engine at mileage intervals. I have found, however, plenty of people who are constantly modifying their Ecoboost Mustangs and tuning that get some inconsistent results. This is pretty standard with that type of car and owner (myself included back when I had the Evo set up for track duty).

Would you be so kind as to at least post some information to support your statement since you make it seem so tangible yet elusive.

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A whole lot of internet mechanics on here. "My friend who knows a guy who's mom's brother's realtor has a cousin who knew a mechanic said the 2.3 was badddd". Either engine will be great for the Bronco realistically.
I want a manual trans and I have no doubt the 2.3 will be excellent...

Last edited:

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a feeling if the 2.3 had major issues in the Ranger there would be a bunch of angry Aussies out there.
The rest of the world did not get the 2.3L Ecoboost engine as an option for the Ranger until the US model came out in 2019.

tb8983

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 1993 SSP mustang notchback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently DD a 18 f150 crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7( currently at 42,xxx miles) and it is great no issues and have done just the general maintenance. I test drove a ranger last weekend and it met about 90% of my needs and would suffice just fine as a DD in the bronco. After seeing the survey stuff about $2700 and if thats is gonna be the number I will be getting the 2.3 turbo.

I have had 2 2015 mustang ecoboost's in the past and once you tune the engine they are far from slouchy motor( yes I understand the car and truck will be different) and this is no means a race vehicle. My only concerns would be towing a couple thousand pounds and if the ranger can tow up to 7500 pounds i'm sure it wont be horrible at all the few times a year I would be towing.

The 2.7 has power for days and I commute 64 miles a day mainly highway and am averaging 19.7 mpg's on the lifetime of the truck. A freind has the same truck leveled on 33X12.5R20 and she is averaging about 16.5 mpgs

If ford is gonna be charging the $2700 for the V6+auto I will be going the turbo 4 cyl. route and paying the money for the auto transmission.

Hope this helps
I have a 2 door badlands reservation currently

Last edited:

Sponsored

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Earlier this year I had the opportunity on a business trip to drive the Ford Ranger. Im a big hater of a 4cyl, but I was actually impressed with the performance of this truck. So Im still not getting a 4cyl ;-) just because I hate them LOL!!

freeman84

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7L with more power and reliability and no issue with carbon build up to have to deal with, but you're stuck with an unreliable 10 speed auto that likes to hunt gears and lugs the engine for the sake of fuel efficiency.

Or a relatively unproven 2.3L with carbon build up to deal with, but with the option for a (hopefully) better gear box in the manual transmission.

Honestly I'm having a hard time deciding. I really wish Ford offered a manual option for the 2.7 so I can have the best of both worlds here. Maybe I should wait for the year when they offer the V8 Coyote as an option....

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7L with more power and reliability and no issue with carbon build up to have to deal with, but you're stuck with an unreliable 10 speed auto that likes to hunt gears and lugs the engine for the sake of fuel efficiency.

Or a relatively unproven 2.3L with carbon build up to deal with, but with the option for a (hopefully) better gear box in the manual transmission.

Honestly I'm having a hard time deciding. I really wish Ford offered a manual option for the 2.7 so I can have the best of both worlds here. Maybe I should wait for the year when they offer the V8 Coyote as an option....
These two motors have been around the same amount of time, how is the 2.3 unproven ?

A v8 with 7 speed manual would be a dream... As long as it's not based on the mt82

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those planning to get the 2.3, will you install a catch can?
How is this something, that as a known issue, not being addressed, with the most anticipated product in years? I find it ridiculous it that's the case on this engine.

Ciz_Bronc_23

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My only fear with the 2.7 is that I have had horrible luck with them. I was an early adopter in a 2016 F-150 sport. If I remember correctly, that one had the 6 speed auto 4x2. It starter smoking on startup with 3,00 miles on it. The dealership replaced the cylinder heads. At 9,000 miles it started spluttering an low speeds. Ford pulled the whole engine and replaced it. Everything was fine for another 7000 miles or so and then it sputtered and died at a stoplight never to run again as far as I am aware.

Ford did not fight me on buying it back, and I have had nothing but good experience with my other Ford vehicles including my prior F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, so I amwilling to keep buying their products.

That leaves we with this decision as I was worried about the 2.3 powerwise, but this review helped push me back to making it the leading option again.

Thank you for the through review, looks like I am going to the dealership this weekend.
Your experience with the 2.7 is why I'm okay with the 2.3. I've read good things on it and hopefully bolt ons and a tune can get me around the mid 300 wheel hp mark and I think that could be a reliable mark to hit and make a fun driving truck at the same time.
Sponsored