First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had an '18 Focus ST, 2.0L manual 6 speed, 252 HP and that car was awesome with that little mill. Now granted the Bronco will weigh another 1000 lbs over that, the extra 20 hp will help offset that a little. I repeat what I posted earlier, The Bronco should be a hoot to drive with the 2.3 and 7spd and I have no doubt it will be able to get out of its own way and then some.
I have a 16 Focus SE with a 5 speed. I love that little car for its pep.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheGuyATX

TheGuyATX

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm interested in the manual with the 2.3 but I hope it's not a dog. My 1997 Wrangler is an old machine with a tractor engine that has only 180 HP (5 speed manual) and is such a slug for daily driving with the high HP even eco cars out there today. I get run over in it all the time But I do love the manual in it.

My 1970 Bronco with a modified 302 and only a 3 speed manual was fast machine though. If the 2.3 is somewhere in between (more towards the 302) the two it might be just fine. I'm still leaning on the 2.7 at this moment. Wish we could test drive to help us make the decision!
I really believe the 2.3 will be more than enough. If its a stop light racer you are looking for then no this will not be it. I personally drive a Kia Soul turbo daily for work, I think it weights around 3k and has 200hp turbo motor. The tuning is terrible and turbo lag is horrendous. But when it gets into boost it up and goes for whats needed on the highway. With that said if tuning is done right, you get to pick your shift points, it is going to be a blast.

OP
OP
TheGuyATX

TheGuyATX

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an 03 Z and have had 2 modified STis as well. My current is a 2011 with FBO E85 and I’ve been spending some time on the Mustang Ecoboost forums and already have a similar plan if the Bronco mods follow what is available for the Mustang. There are fuel kits for E85 and port injection, drop in turbos, built 2.3 and 2.0 motors, etc.

I will probably drive stock for a while but definitely Cobb Accesport if/when available, downpipe, intercooler, protune. Cobb stage 3 on Mustang makes another 80whp and torque. That’s all I would need

ACFB94F4-C83A-4B3F-87CE-9859CDCCCB11.jpeg
Very nice! I am a really big fan of Burger Motorsports, and have followed the work they have done on the F150. I am pretty confident they will provide the same on the Bronco. I used them on my 135i, loved switching maps with the steering wheel controls. I am sure I wont stay stock for long. The biggest thing I see from the Ranger would be upgrading the intercooler.

Txchewy

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am new to 4 cylinder turbos and have no options since I must have the manual. Can someone explain to me what the tune actually does? Is the tune sold by Ford? Why not just deliver the vehicle with the tune from the factory? I don't care at all about mpg just power.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm excited! The only reason that the Bronco is in my sights is because of the 2.3 7MT combo! I've never owned a vehicle with more that 4 cylinders so I'm looking to keep that trend going, and I miss shifting my own gears.

Definitely the first thing I'm doing is putting on an exhaust system.

Sponsored

Txchewy

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am new to 4 cylinder turbos and have no options since I must have the manual. Can someone explain to me what the tune actually does? Is the tune sold by Ford? Why not just deliver the vehicle with the tune from the factory? I don't care at all about mpg just power.

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I believe it adjusts boost, timing and other factors in a computer map.

Other tunes include an air intake, larger downpipe and larger exhaust in combination with a tune to push more air in and through the engine. You also have to add more fuel too.

I think I've seen large numbers like 500hp from this 2.3. Obviously this would be a huge hit in MPG.

Ford wants to balance reliability, economy and power together. You're sacrificing one or the other.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 mustangs on corn juice are making pretty good power. I can't stand automatics so good chance I'll go 2.3 and manual, I'll decide if I am going to mod it after I drive it for awhile. I have a project car , so any mods will probably be secondary to keeping that running and on the track.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree I think we get too hung on up the HP/TQ numbers. Pop those doors and roof off, hear that turbo spool. It will be all good.
Yeah the doors and top is worth 20 hp or so.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3500 ish. Kind of a pig

Sponsored

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My benchmark is my 2012 JK 2 door with the 6 speed. It wasn't "fast" or didn't handle extremely well but I feel that the manual definitely enhanced the driving experience. Pop the doors and top off, put some good music on and just enjoy it.

The NSG370 transmission was pretty agricultural but I liked the fact that the shifter shifted the transmission directly and not by cables or rods. From what I hear, the new Aisin 6 speed in the JL/JLU/JT sucks as far as shift feel as its a cable shifted transmission.

Since the MT88 will be cable shifted, I really hope it doesn't suck. That would seriously deter me from getting the 7 speed. And I absolutely dislike automatic transmissions.

What do you think the odds will be on a dealer actually stocking a base mansquatch so we can drive it before committing? I'm guessing just above zero :mad:.

OP
OP
TheGuyATX

TheGuyATX

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My benchmark is my 2012 JK 2 door with the 6 speed. It wasn't "fast" or didn't handle extremely well but I feel that the manual definitely enhanced the driving experience. Pop the doors and top off, put some good music on and just enjoy it.

The NSG370 transmission was pretty agricultural but I liked the fact that the shifter shifted the transmission directly and not by cables or rods. From what I hear, the new Aisin 6 speed in the JL/JLU/JT sucks as far as shift feel as its a cable shifted transmission.

Since the MT88 will be cable shifted, I really hope it doesn't suck. That would seriously deter me from getting the 7 speed. And I absolutely dislike automatic transmissions.

What do you think the odds will be on a dealer actually stocking a base mansquatch so we can drive it before committing? I'm guessing just above zero :mad:.
If you don’t mind waiting 4 more years for a test drive...considering they made a statement that manual squatch will be at the back of the production cycle we may not see that combination as a 2021 year model. Of course if demand is high enough that could shuffle things around.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford wants to balance reliability, economy and power together. You're sacrificing one or the other.
You're forgetting one of the biggest reasons: emissions.