Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
4 door with a tailgate sounds more appealing to me :shrug:

Honestly, I doubt that. Manufacturers usually do that for 2 reasons
1. Because they're looking for justification to cut that option from the lineup by nerfing its sales capability (see: 2015-2017 V6 Mustang)
2. Sole engine options in higher trim packages are too powerful for the manual's rating

Seeing as the leaked Getrag trans is rated for 400ft-lbs, it should be able to handle any engine Ford intends to throw at the Bronco, and since it's a new model I doubt they'll be looking to kill the manual right off the jump. I'm fairly confident you'll be able to get the manual in most trims
This. I don't see them developing a whole new trans with Getrag JUST for the base model, that would be a weird use of money. That's the main reason I'm fairly hopeful we'll see the manual at least on all the non-hybrid versions.

Give me my 2.7TT Manual trans 2dr Bronco Raptor!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still deciding, but there is also a slim chance that I'll end up with one of each in a few years.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
4 door with a tailgate sounds more appealing to me :shrug:

Honestly, I doubt that. Manufacturers usually do that for 2 reasons
1. Because they're looking for justification to cut that option from the lineup by nerfing its sales capability (see: 2015-2017 V6 Mustang)
2. Sole engine options in higher trim packages are too powerful for the manual's rating

Seeing as the leaked Getrag trans is rated for 400ft-lbs, it should be able to handle any engine Ford intends to throw at the Bronco, and since it's a new model I doubt they'll be looking to kill the manual right off the jump. I'm fairly confident you'll be able to get the manual in most trims
Well look at the wrangler, basically only bottom and top trim. Sport Sahara and Rubicon. Nothing in between. 1 Main reason!
COST!
Base model for a CHEAP option. And loaded model for the enthusiast. That’s it.

and yes 400lbft
2.3 is 310lbft
2.7 is 400 lbft
3.0 diesel 400lbft
3.3 hybrid ~340lbft

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
This. I don't see them developing a whole new trans with Getrag JUST for the base model, that would be a weird use of money. That's the main reason I'm fairly hopeful we'll see the manual at least on all the non-hybrid versions.

Give me my 2.7TT Manual trans 2dr Bronco Raptor!

Honestly, I'm probably going with the base engine and the manual. I'd rather have the longevity.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly, I'm probably going with the base engine and the manual. I'd rather have the longevity.
the “base” engine 2.3 will probably be the engine on every single trim excluding hybrid, diesel and “raptor”

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well look at the wrangler, basically only bottom and top trim. Sport Sahara and Rubicon. Nothing in between. 1 Main reason!
COST!
Base model for a CHEAP option. And loaded model for the enthusiast. That’s it.
What? The Sport, Sport S, Sahara, and Rubicon all have available manuals. That's all the major trim levels.

and yes 400lbft
2.3 is 310lbft
2.7 is 400 lbft
3.0 diesel 400lbft
3.3 hybrid ~340lbft
Yep, so it can handle the torque of whatever engine Ford ends up using in the Bronco

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What? The Sport, Sport S, Sahara, and Rubicon all have available manuals. That's all the major trim levels.

Yep, so it can handle the torque of whatever engine Ford ends up using in the Bronco
If the Bronco has similar trims to the F-150
(XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Raptor, Platinum, Limited)
That means the Bronco “manual” will probably only be available on the XL, Raptor and MAYBE Platinum.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want a 2 door with the 4 door wheel base... to much to ask for?
2 door 97-100” WB
4 door 110-114” WB

tough to get SUPER accurate but gives you an idea.

ohhh I get your point. But why? Makes the back seats IMPOSSIBLE to access then.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well look at the wrangler, basically only bottom and top trim. Sport Sahara and Rubicon. Nothing in between. 1 Main reason!...
The reason the Jeep manual is only available in certain configurations is because their hardware isn't built stoutly enough to handle any more torque. It's already maxed out at 273 or whatever. Half or more of their current lineup of engines is too much for it.

Ford is starting from scratch, so they made sure to pick their next manual to be able to handle plenty of good engine options with 405lbft capacity. Maybe it won't take a HO 3.5L or a 600+lbft hybrid, but most of them will be just fine, including the 2.7 and 3.0 Ecoboosts or a Coyote.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The reason the Jeep manual is only available in certain configurations is because their hardware isn't built stoutly enough to handle any more torque. It's already maxed out at 273 or whatever. Half or more of their current lineup of engines is too much for it.

Ford is starting from scratch, so they made sure to pick their next manual to be able to handle plenty of good engine options with 405lbft capacity. Maybe it won't take a HO 3.5L or a 600+lbft hybrid, but most of them will be just fine, including the 2.7 and 3.0 Ecoboosts or a Coyote.
Wut? The Wrangler has 2.0t with 270lbft and 3.6 with 260lbft both manuals on the Sport trim. And the manual in the Rubicon trim is the same trans as the sport. So I fail to see your point.

it’s all about production cost and the sales market. Less than 3% of all cars sold in 2019 were manual. And the ones that had a manual were BASE models (super stripped down models) and high end sports cars (GT350, Focus RS etc)

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wut? The Wrangler has 2.0t with 270lbft and 3.6 with 260lbft both manuals on the Sport trim. And the manual in the Rubicon trim is the same trans as the sport. So I fail to see your point.

it’s all about production cost and the sales market. Less than 3% of all cars sold in 2019 were manual. And the ones that had a manual were BASE models (super stripped down models) and high end sports cars (GT350, Focus RS etc)
Unless they've changed it recently you can't get the 2.0 Jeep with a manual. Only the 3.6. Somewhere that Ford can definitely gain ground if they offer multiple engines with manual available.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Bronco has similar trims to the F-150
(XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Raptor, Platinum, Limited)
That means the Bronco “manual” will probably only be available on the XL, Raptor and MAYBE Platinum.
But you haven't yet provided any justification for this. Ford has no reason NOT to offer it on most, if not all trims

No, this isn't the case at all. As I said, the only companies that keep manual as a base model only option do so solely because they're trying to force it out of the lineup. But that wasn't the case with ALL of them like you imply... the Mustang has a manual available on EVERY model of the Mustang other than the GT500. But there's NO cost savings whatsoever to be had by developing an all new manual for an all new platform only to try and curb how many you can sell. That's not how business works. When Ford makes an investment in something like a manual, they're going to spread it as thin as feasibly possible

I find it hilarious when people try to pull this bullshit about "3% of sales"... it seems they never account for the fact that only 11% of cars made were even available with a manual, and when you consider that most of the ones that ARE offered in manual are sold in low volume, and then add in the fact that dealerships refuse to stock them, meaning they can ONLY be custom ordered...

It's not that people don't want manuals, its that manufacturers won't give them to us

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
But you haven't yet provided any justification for this. Ford has no reason NOT to offer it on most, if not all trims

No, this isn't the case at all. As I said, the only companies that keep manual as a base model only option do so solely because they're trying to force it out of the lineup. But that wasn't the case with ALL of them like you imply... the Mustang has a manual available on EVERY model of the Mustang other than the GT500. But there's NO cost savings whatsoever to be had by developing an all new manual for an all new platform only to try and curb how many you can sell. That's not how business works. When Ford makes an investment in something like a manual, they're going to spread it as thin as feasibly possible

I find it hilarious when people try to pull this bullshit about "3% of sales"... it seems they never account for the fact that only 11% of cars made were even available with a manual, and when you consider that most of the ones that ARE offered in manual are sold in low volume, and then add in the fact that dealerships refuse to stock them, meaning they can ONLY be custom ordered...

It's not that people don't want manuals, its that manufacturers won't give them to us
you just proved my point. 11% of cars were made wit manuals yet only 3% Were sold. Meaning 8% weren’t Sold. And you can’t look at the best selling sports car in the world to compare to. I used a car In the same class. And odds are the new trans that’s Being made for the bronco will be used in over seas Rangers and trollers and the next gen base Mustang.

manuals have become pointless now. Autos are faster, more fuel efficient, smaller and more hybrid friendly. The only advantage for manuals is enthusiast and cost (but that’s offset due to volume)

all of the major high end sports cars are abandoning the manual. Just a matter of time till they are completely axed.
Sponsored