Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You just HAD to bring up Rudy's BBQ. I SO MISS THEIR BBQ!!! Send me some BBQ breakfast Tacos PLEASE!!!
Looks like I missed a good place while i was in Uptown Dallas
Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Here is what Ford’s latest 2020 F-150 owner’s manual says on this subject:
non engine specific btw

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85). Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty. For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended.”

“The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

And it seems it isn't just about turbo motors.

Here is what the latest 2020 Chevy Silverado owner’s manual says about 6.2-liter V8 gas engines fuel requirements:

“Premium unleaded gasolinemeeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 — (R+M)/2 — is highly recommended for best performance and fueleconomy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged.”

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This was something i was wondering too.

So are the published power numbers:
270/310 for the 4cyl

these on premium, or on regular; cause they say run regular.
Assume published power numbers for turbo cars are on premium.

And if we do run regular would we lose hp/tq how much?
Scroll up.

BAMBALAM

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a turbo 2.7 in my 2015 Ford Edge Sport. Very noticeable when running 87 vs 93. It can run either but if you want peak hp output (advertised) then you should run the higher octane.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Premium fuel won't be worth it on this car unless you expect to be under constant high-load or high-rev situations. If you're filling up just to head down the highway to the beach, I'm throwing regular in.

Sponsored

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
Assume published power numbers for turbo cars are on premium.

Scroll up.

I've had two turbo'd cars and they have said to only run premium; plus I've always went by forced induction you should run premium.

I found it interesting that I've seen that you could run an ecoboost engine on regular.

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
non engine specific btw

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85). Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty. For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended.”

“The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

Here is what the latest 2020 Chevy Silverado owner’s manual says about 6.2-liter V8 gas engines fuel requirements:

“Premium unleaded gasolinemeeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 — (R+M)/2 — is highly recommended for best performance and fueleconomy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged.”

Thanks for the info, we here at above sea level I believe, and we can get hot ☀??.

... times I've noticed the outside temp in the dash cluster be above 105 and I get less performance at when it's below 99 degrees.

On the way home from work hours ago, it's much cooler now, the car seems to want fly in lower gears now
:ROFLMAO:(y).

I use Shell premium mostly, though I get Sams or Costco sometimes.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info, we here at above sea level I believe, and we can get hot ☀??.

... times I've noticed the outside temp in the dash cluster be above 105 and I get less performance at when it's below 99 degrees.

On the way home from work hours ago, it's much cooler now, the car seems to want fly in lower gears now
:ROFLMAO:(y).

I use Shell premium mostly, though I get Sams or Costco sometimes.
Yes, Las Vegas is above sea level, approximately 2000ft. Henderson is 1500 - 2000ft.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
non engine specific btw

I’m liking the 93 and E85 blend. E30 tunes pretty impressive on ecoboosts. Just gotta figure out the calculations

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base

Which brands do you like?

What do think about Sam's club and Costco gas?

??

Sponsored

BaseMod

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This maybe a dealbreaker for me. Never owned a turbo before. I am not running premium in a DD. Damn it this maybe the end of my new Bronco plan.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This maybe a dealbreaker for me. Never owned a turbo before. I am not running premium in a DD. Damn it this maybe the end of my new Bronco plan.
You will be fine, you don't need 91/93 octane(premium) in an ecoboost. Run 89 (midgrade) and get some benefits of premium, and lower cost. Mid is a blend of premium and regular. I have a 89 tune in my F-150 ecoboost, been running 89 for years with no issues, and still plenty of performance. I am sure I could get more out of it with a 91/93 tune and 91/93 gas, but didn't see the point.

I DO NOT run 87 in anything, including mowers and small engines...too many frustrating times trying to start a leaf blower or power washer...with running 89 100% of the time, everything starts so much easier, and have no issues.
Sponsored