Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because I dont want to be disappointed again lol. So even though I got the answer from the guy who posted the pics, I’ll just wait and see What Ford says at this point.
Posted the below in this thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/spotted-2-door-bronco-towing-trailer.6581/

Was wondering the same. Look at this pic from this thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...iler-with-outerbanks-in-the-wild.4462/page-13

2021-bronco-trailer-hookup-jpeg.jpg

Notice the hookup - if that was a straight hitch instead of a drop hitch they wouldn't be able to hookup the trailer with the spare on.

Figured I'd also post it here in the Trailering/Towing section and get some opinions from trailering people.

I need a RISE hitch for my 19' travel trailer. Not a straight hitch, not a drop hitch, a rise hitch. No way I could hook up the trailer with the spare on. Hadn't even considered before the spare tire interfering with hookup.

Just physically impossible. Trailer is lifted for offroad ground clearance, the trailer tongue sitting in my driveway right now is 24 inches off the ground. Impossible to hook up with the spare on. Spare tire would have to find a home either in the trailer or in the Bronco.
Sponsored

Marine2146

Badlands
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Posted the below in this thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/spotted-2-door-bronco-towing-trailer.6581/

Was wondering the same. Look at this pic from this thread https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...iler-with-outerbanks-in-the-wild.4462/page-13

Ford Bronco Towing Package question 2021-bronco-trailer-hookup-jpe

Notice the hookup - if that was a straight hitch instead of a drop hitch they wouldn't be able to hookup the trailer with the spare on.

Figured I'd also post it here in the Trailering/Towing section and get some opinions from trailering people.

I need a RISE hitch for my 19' travel trailer. Not a straight hitch, not a drop hitch, a rise hitch. No way I could hook up the trailer with the spare on. Hadn't even considered before the spare tire interfering with hookup.

Just physically impossible. Trailer is lifted for offroad ground clearance, the trailer tongue sitting in my driveway right now is 24 inches off the ground. Impossible to hook up with the spare on. Spare tire would have to find a home either in the trailer or in the Bronco.
The photo that HobGoblin took looks like the hitch is right around 24” on a badland with 33s.
You could also consider using a lock an roll hitch, it’s better for off road anyway.

D7A4BEEC-5204-4BCE-B83E-95E24614D06A.jpeg

A40B9828-65C3-4613-B813-33826F632607.jpeg

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

2021-bronco-trailer-hookup-jpeg.jpg

No worries, you can make it work ;)
Ford Bronco Towing Package question 0C8E7A50-A326-49FC-BB90-1343970FF89C

On a bit more serious note, it’ll really depend on brand of hitch, some stick out further than others. And they do make hitch extension pieces that add another like 4-6in coming out. Weight distribution hitches tend to stick a bit further out, least the ones both my brother-in-laws have do, and one has height adjustment at the end of the hitch so could stick it up further after the spare if needed. In fact, one of them towed a camper with my sisters 96 bronco with full size spare on the back before he bought a new truck. Dunno that I have any pics of it hooked up to the camper, but the 90s broncos spare was just as large and actually probably sticks out further since it’s not attached to the tailgate but to a separate holder that swings out before you lower the tailgate.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
The photo that HobGoblin took looks like the hitch is right around 24” on a badland with 33s.
You could also consider using a lock an roll hitch, it’s better for off road anyway.

Thanks for the pics. The pic showing the 24" hitch height - on the right you see the spare on the swingout tailgate. I would not be able to hook up with the tailgate closed and the spare on with the 6" rise hitch needed for my trailer.

Rise hitch is needed because the rear WILL squat no matter how much I try to strengthen the rear suspension. 400lb tongue weight does that. Have to get proper balance between trailer and tow vehicle for offroading with a 4000lb trailer.

I'm probably expecting too much. I guess there is a good reason why trucks with spare tires mounted on the tailgate don't tow.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the pics. The pic showing the 24" hitch height - on the right you see the spare on the swingout tailgate. I would not be able to hook up with the tailgate closed and the spare on with the 6" rise hitch needed for my trailer.

Rise hitch is needed because the rear WILL squat no matter how much I try to strengthen the rear suspension. 400lb tongue weight does that. Have to get proper balance between trailer and tow vehicle for offroading with a 4000lb trailer.

I'm probably expecting too much. I guess there is a good reason why trucks with spare tires mounted on the tailgate don't tow.
Im sure I don’t have to point out that exceeds the published towing limit of the Bronco...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Marine2146

Badlands
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I know the struggle , it was hard to attach a trailer to my wrangler with a 35” spare on the stock mount but an AEV tire carrier fixed that.
as for the squat hopefully the aftermarket will offer hd coil springs or Axle to frame air bag assist. You can bet people will load there broncos up for over landing so someone will have to address that issue.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

how much you think the rear will squat with 400lb tongue weight? My offroad camper weighs 3400lbs and has 400lb tongue weight as well. From the ground to the bottom of the DO35 coupler, it measures 23" and my wife's current GC trailhawk isn't a good measure for sag because it has air suspension and compensated when the trailer is connected.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think we saw that picture earlier and it was a single axle. Trailer is probably 1200lbs? Loaded with a small sxs or dirt bikes and gear, maybe 2.5 to 3.k lbs?
I looked the trailer up - 2900 lbs curb weight. It is a tandem axle with 7000 GVWR.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No worries, you can make it work ;)

On a bit more serious note, it’ll really depend on brand of hitch, some stick out further than others. And they do make hitch extension pieces that add another like 4-6in coming out. Weight distribution hitches tend to stick a bit further out, least the ones both my brother-in-laws have do, and one has height adjustment at the end of the hitch so could stick it up further after the spare if needed. In fact, one of them towed a camper with my sisters 96 bronco with full size spare on the back before he bought a new truck. Dunno that I have any pics of it hooked up to the camper, but the 90s broncos spare was just as large and actually probably sticks out further since it’s not attached to the tailgate but to a separate holder that swings out before you lower the tailgate.
Our WDH sticks out about 11" from the back of the receiver to the middle of the ball and rises a similar amount. It sure looks like a long way but a 285mm tire is a little thicker so yeah this would be a problem.

20201012_174722.jpg

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Our WDH sticks out about 11" from the back of the receiver to the middle of the ball and rises a similar amount. It sure looks like a long way but a 285mm tire is a little thicker so yeah this would be a problem.

20201012_174722.jpg
Yea my current one sits even closer than that I think, almost no shank shows between the hitch and the bumper , that’s why I said depends on the brand. But it’s still usually a bit further than a standard hitch. Not sure what brands my 2 brother-in-laws have, but they both stick out a whole lot more than mine, one enough that I hit by shin on the hitch with the tailgate down before. Pretty certain that one would clear a tire.
Also, think yours might actually be closer to clearing than you think. It’s 11in past the bumper, the spare sits a couple inches inside the bumper since it’s attached to the tailgate. But the receiver looks to be very slightly in from the bumper on the bronco too so idk. Be close still, but might have the hitch past the spare. Course that could be a wash anyways if the bit before the actual hitch sticks up too far and hits the spare, but looks like enough gap there so maybe. Who knows, might just have to take the spare off in the end if you do need a rise.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco Towing Package question 20201012_174722

I'm such a dumbass - all I'd have to do is buy a receiver extender like this. 18" and $62.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Curt/C45796.html

Lock and roll sells extensions also.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Keep in mind...an extension like that halves the capacity of your hitch. So if Bronco has a 3500lb Class II hitch and you add an extension you lose 1750lbs of capacity.
I thought it would but did not know 50% reduction. Yeah, that's a problem. Extension halves both the max tongue weight and max tow capacity.

Last edited:

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
how much you think the rear will squat with 400lb tongue weight? My offroad camper weighs 3400lbs and has 400lb tongue weight as well. From the ground to the bottom of the DO35 coupler, it measures 23" and my wife's current GC trailhawk isn't a good measure for sag because it has air suspension and compensated when the trailer is connected.
I bet it would sag horribly with the stock coils. ClassII hitch probably has 350lb max tongue weight anyway.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shocked that the Bronco hitch is a class II 1.25 inch. Heck, the aftermarket hitch for my Subaru Crosstrek is a 2 inch class III and I need that because my bike carrier and motorcycle carrier all fit 2 inch receivers. So if the stock hitch choice is only 1.25 then I will wait and go aftermarket for sure. I wonder if Ford gives you a choice for receiver size?
Sponsored