BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anybody have any experience with those ecoboost motors for off roading?
I worry they won’t be otptimum for trails but my only experience is trying to modulate a 2018 power stroke turbo diesel off road. It’s miserable trying to pop a rock compared to the v10 or even the 6.2.
Once the turbo spools it’s too late and you end up over compensating.
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anybody have any experience with those ecoboost motors for off roading?
I worry they won’t be otptimum for trails but my only experience is trying to modulate a 2018 power stroke turbo diesel off road. It’s miserable trying to pop a rock compared to the v10 or even the 6.2.
Once the turbo spools it’s too late and you end up over compensating.
That’s pretty much the issue with turbos on rocks or mud. Mids not as bad.

about the only way around it would be a really small first turbo that is spooled up at idle already.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s pretty much the issue with turbos on rocks or mud. Mids not as bad.

about the only way around it would be a really small first turbo that is spooled up at idle already.
Ford has many variants of its middling size ecoboosts, and a lot of them have multiple turbos. Do we think they'd develop a special pairing just for Bronco to keep the off-idle dead zone minimal?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has many variants of its middling size ecoboosts, and a lot of them have multiple turbos. Do we think they'd develop a special pairing just for Bronco to keep the off-idle dead zone minimal?
Maybe, but doubtful

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Doesn't help the manual guys but if you two foot it, should work ok. Foot on brake, give it gas until its starts over the rock , never taking your foot off the brake. never had a turbo off-road but drove a lot of autos off road and this trick works on n/a quite well. I could overshoot the same way by giving more and more gas until the convertor finally overcome the resistance of the obstacle.

Sponsored

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Didn't someone mention about (Jeep?) 4lo increasing idle rpm? Shouldn't be too hard for tuning on the ecoboost to have it build a couple lbs of boost at a lower rpm.

Also, Jeep is selling the 2.0T and 3.0 turbo diesel so if it was a huge problem it seems like those engines would have been dropped - anyone on here have one and like to share?

OP
OP

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Doesn't help the manual guys but if you two foot it, should work ok. Foot on brake, give it gas until its starts over the rock , never taking your foot off the brake. never had a turbo off-road but drove a lot of autos off road and this trick works on n/a quite well. I could overshoot the same way by giving more and more gas until the convertor finally overcome the resistance of the obstacle.
actually the manual might be helpful To counteract the delayed off idle response.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't someone mention about (Jeep?) 4lo increasing idle rpm? Shouldn't be too hard for tuning on the ecoboost to have it build a couple lbs of boost at a lower rpm.

Also, Jeep is selling the 2.0T and 3.0 turbo diesel so if it was a huge problem it seems like those engines would have been dropped - anyone on here have one and like to share?
Not a lot of 3.0s have been built. I've been watching that one closely. 440+ lbft of torque down low makes up for a lot.

OP
OP

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base

The 2.0T is a mild hybrid. Hybrids are totally beneficial for precision throttle control over logs and rocks and whatnot.
Instant and very predictable power delivery as well as with instant off throttle response. Probably even better for off roading than a N/A straight six.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.0T is a mild hybrid. Hybrids are totally beneficial for precision throttle control over logs and rocks and whatnot.
Instant and very predictable power delivery as well as with instant off throttle response. Probably even better for off roading than a N/A straight six.
Gotcha. I didn't realize those had a hybrid system.

Sponsored

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

heck you nothing is better than a straight 6 for anything. most engines if they are used offroad will explode and die, but not a straight 6. using its superior balance and straight forward simplicity it can cope with any stress with maximum performance and HP and torque and all that jazz. its a wonder every engine isn't a straight 6.

OP
OP

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
heck you nothing is better than a straight 6 for anything. most engines if they are used offroad will explode and die, but not a straight 6. using its superior balance and straight forward simplicity it can cope with any stress with maximum performance and HP and torque and all that jazz. its a wonder every engine isn't a straight 6.
6CB620DD-E819-4C47-AF98-25EBAADF1E1D.gif

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What the person above you should have said is that straight in line 6 cylinder motors are perfectly harmonically balanced such as the Toyota 2jz motor or Nissan's rb26. Great engines capable of huge hp and many hundreds of thousands of miles of use.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a good question OP. I don't have experience with turbos off-road and I have the same concerns. I'm hoping the hybrid is a decent option as I know that would have instant torque.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, we are now in out 7th year with the 3.5 EB in our f150. We are on tight trails at high altitude maybe 10 times a year.

Most of those trips find us in low range climbing fields of baby heads, loose rock, shelves etc, rear axle locked for at least part of the time. Carrying camping gear, fishing gear, people etc.

Turbo lag just never comes into play for us when geared down.

For those 1% rock crawlers it might I suppose. Maybe an electric supercharger like Land Rover is playing with would be a nice upgrade on the 2.7 for those folks. But the 2.7 engine gives huge torque at low rpms in native form.

Can't wait! It might be the perfect engine in this thing, especially if the Bronco comes in around 3500 pounds!
Sponsored