First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm a bit of a knife geek. As such, steel formulations are interesting to me. This is pretty damn cool.

I didn't see in the story, does Ford have exclusive rights to this steel? That'd be cool, like Spydercos SPY27.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone knows they should have gone for Rearden Metal. Anything else is just a compromise.
Yup first thought in my mind since my Bronco will be running around Hawaii is what about corrosion resistance. I was glad to see that the body panels would be aluminum. Guess a new power washer as an accessory to my Bronco will be in my future lol.
One of the claimed properties of this steel is increased corrosion resistance due to a different formulation of the galvanizing material. Only time will tell.

The first thing to corrode through on my Cherokee when I was stationed at Schofield Barracks was the steel under the seat. I was driving on to Wheeler AAF, hit a speed bump, heard something break and dropped about an inch. Oahu killed that poor Cherokee. Well, that and I used it to haul around SCUBA gear.

Sponsored

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spent the early part of my career in an automotive parts press shop. 10% reduction in weight is a huge deal as well as the increased formability. Every time you form steel you put strain on it and weaken the steel, but the change in geometry improves the overall strength. Improved formability means you can put in more complex geometry without weakening the steel to a point where it becomes brittle which means this thing is going to be a beast in terms of durability and safety.

To put it in perspective, we were doing some pretty groundbreaking stuff in 2006-2008 and we claimed to reduce vehicle weight by 6%, so a 10% reduction is monumental.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you listen at 1.25x speed it matches the beat of your profile GIF a bit better
I did what you said and when Will Ferrell's cowbell lined up with the ride cymbal, it had me rolling and clutching my stomach. My coworkers came to my office and were like, "What's so funny?" I showed them and they were just as amused as I was lol.

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the lunchbox in grade school. Can not verify if it was Fortifiform 980 GI, but it was solid and performed well.
against bullies?

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

95% of us won't even have our Bronco's past the 5 year mark and we're worried about corrosion? ?
I bought my 2010 Wrangler 3 years old and it was just starting to rust on the frame.... I live in Michigan where I swear they have a competition to see how much salt they can spread, but rust shouldn’t happen that fast. My buddy’s 2015 wrangler he bought new and had the same rust as me one month into ownership. Jeep dealer said it’s “normal Jeep rust.”

Any steel has to be better than what Jeep uses, but I’m hoping this is particularly corrosion resistant.
Sponsored