Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstreck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know if the learning in the auto trans extends to the use of the manual shift buttons? For example if I upshift manually at a certain point often will the computer learn this and start doing so automatically??
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good question. Hopefully some Ford techs or others in the know can chime in.

Reactions: KAQ

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great question!

I'm at the point where whenever I drive the '19 Ranger Lariat, I can only stand it when in "sport" mode so that you can use the shift buttons to control gears and max-gear in use.

Whatever "learning" the ECU has done over the first 10,000 miles we've had the truck has only made it a mindless slave prostituting itself at the altar of 10th gear.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Be smarter than the machine.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great question!

I'm at the point where whenever I drive the '19 Ranger Lariat, I can only stand it when in "sport" mode so that you can use the shift buttons to control gears and max-gear in use.

Whatever "learning" the ECU has done over the first 10,000 miles we've had the truck has only made it a mindless slave prostituting itself at the altar of 10th gear.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of if we go with the 2.7. What a pain. It's to the point where a transmission doesnt need 10 forward gears. I would be just fine with 6. Choices, choices.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is exactly what I'm afraid of if we go with the 2.7. What a pain. It's to the point where a transmission doesnt need 10 forward gears. I would be just fine with 6. Choices, choices.
It's the GF's truck, and she drives it very conservatively. She puts 80% of the miles on it, so if there is such a thing as a "learning" transmission, it's got the cut of her jib. Frankly, I think the sound of the radiator fan coming on that subconsciously causes her to let off the throttle. It's loud, almost as if it's a truck! (she came from driving an Audi A6)

EDIT: I should also point out that she finds absolutely NOTHING wrong with the driving experience, she has zero complaints about the transmission and it does everything she wants the truck to do (except fit in compact parking spaces).

The only reason Ford is giving these things more than 6 forward gears is EPA MPG ratings and having no perceptible RPM change when shifting. Pure and simple. They are NOT 18 wheelers. They don't need a 23 speed transmission in order to keep torque/thrust. The F-150 forums would have better info than I will regarding those who hammered their truck at first and seeing if it has any effect on driving style. My observation of F-150 drivers on the road (near a major metropolitan area) is that they are mostly checked out and insulated from the road (and traffic signs), so i'm guessing the 10-speed assists greatly in being able to operate a vehicle without consciously paying attention to what you're doing, or who you ran over.
Sponsored

Last edited: