Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After the Super Celebration East, my wife and I went to the Biltmore to stay for a few days and did the two hour version of the Land Rover Experience in a new Defender 110. They do one hour, two hour, half and full day classes, I believe in four locations around the US. The trail was a mud/ruts trail through the woods for the most part with a couple steep descents, inclines, right turns, narrow trail, opportunities to get the vehicle onto two wheels and side inclines (I maxed out at 23%). Not the point of my post but the Defender was rock solid on the trail and seems like a great vehicle. Because of covid the instructor walked along as a spotter using walkie talkies and we talked through the window, partly explaining the off road features of the Defender and providing insight on technique, proper lines and treading lightly.

I mentioned having been to Townsend and afterward the other instructor came over to talk to me. He’d been with Land Rover for 23 years and is leaving to direct the Bronco Off Roadeo events for Jackson-Dawson (Bronco Nation, Ford’s event management consultant). He wanted to know what I thought people would be interested in at the event.

For anyone new to off roading or with limited experience in a modern off road capable vehicle I thought it was very worthwhile and am happy to see that Jackson is hiring someone with this experience. I’d imagine the Off Roadeo event will be pretty well done.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much was your class, and can anybody sign up?
Sponsored

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Info is here: https://www.biltmore.com/things-to-do/activities/outdoors/land-rover/

It is $425 for the two hour session and I tipped the instructor. Anyone can sign up but you’ll need a $25 ticket per person to enter the Biltmore Estate if you aren’t staying there. They provide the vehicles and you can choose pending availability which Land Rover model you want to drive. I asked about bringing a Bronco and was told officially they only allow Land Rovers but maybe they’d make an exception. I think they are excited to see how the new Bronco compares to the Defender.

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is one of those items it is really worth it to buy quality. I am absolutely not making a comment about the one in the example above, I have never used that one. I am talking about Harbor Freight type budget tire inflators... They will fill you tires for sure, but your guess is as good as anyone's about the actual pressure.

Total agreement, this is good gear, and have a quality gauge!

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The gun that came with my 100% duty viair was mediocre, so I replaced it with something better. It's difficult to figure out what's decent quality online these days, but I'm not buying snapon stuff either.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is one of those items it is really worth it to buy quality. I am absolutely not making a comment about the one in the example above, I have never used that one. I am talking about Harbor Freight type budget tire inflators... They will fill you tires for sure, but your guess is as good as anyone's about the actual pressure.

Total agreement, this is good gear, and have a quality gauge!
I've been through 2 ARBs in the last 3-4 years. Don't make them like they used to.

Sponsored

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What if someone doesn't know what level of offroading/overlanding they enjoy? Is it best to rent something and go with a group first a few times? I saw some 4runners for $150 per day near me, already with rooftop tent and stuff.

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What if someone doesn't know what level of offroading/overlanding they enjoy? Is it best to rent something and go with a group first a few times? I saw some 4runners for $150 per day near me, already with rooftop tent and stuff.
Just go drive down some dirt roads. If you don't like that, then off-roading isn't for you. A lot of overlanding is just driving down forest and un-surfaced roads. If you have any ORV parks or trails around where you live, start looking into those and driving on those. I started out with my Raptor with no experience off road, just researched the basics and hit it. Don't overthink it...

There's also some good channels on YouTube that you can watch and learn a bit from, like TrailRecon or LLOD

Last edited:

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just go drive down some dirt roads. If you don't like that, then off-roading isn't for you. A lot of overlanding is just driving down forest and un-surfaced roads. If you have any ORV parks or trails around where you live, start looking into those and driving on those. I started out with my Raptor with no experience off road, just researched the basics and hit it. Don't overthink it...

There's also some good channels on YouTube that you can watch and learn a bit from, like TrailRecon or LLOD
Thanks I've been watching them for almost a year, and I enjoy the outdoors and dirt roads are fine, just don't want to push my street suv too hard out there, but I want to go further out and see what it's like to have the butt cheeks clench up once or twice to see if I'm game or not :D

NurseA.J

Outer Banks
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outerbanks Sasquatch Lux 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It occurs to me a lot of people who have never driven off-road will be buying the new Ford Bronco with dreams of being rugged trail blazers. Believe it or not everybody on the 6G forums is a hardcore off-roader. But some will never achieve this goal because they have limited, or no knowledge of what off-roading looks like or how to learn the skills to do it. If you don’t know where to look to for direction or have someone to direct you, your just left with wondering how to do it, and most likely you never do it. Most of what we see are crazy pictures of extreme rock crawling that would scare off even the hardiest of adventures when it comes to their new 30k to 60k Bronco. But the reality is there are several different types of off roading and most of it will not beat your new Bronco to death.

What I would like this thread to become is a helpful guide to the novice who is seeking guidance and instruction on how to begin down the unpaved trail. Whether it be suggestions or explanations it will start to give people knowledge that they can build upon and encouragement to seeking out their dream of off-roading.

Don’t be afraid to ask any question, I assure you are not the only one that wants to know the answer.
And for the love of all that is sacred please don’t start Judging people in this thread. It is a great opportunity to reach out and promote, don’t screw it up with childish crap!

If you are asking a question, please be concise with the question. It is difficult to answer vague questions in a meaningful way. Don’t ask how I should build out my Bronco questions, but instead ask, if I get this on my Bronco will it benefit me on the trail or how will it affect the vehicle. If your answering a question, please have extensive knowledge of the subject matter and don’t speculate. Please be mindful that you are educating a person that might not understand all the terms and lingo so don’t over complicate your responses.

Please let us not turn this into a thread that debates on options, opinions, conjecture. We can start another thread for the lawyers to debate. Remember this it to educate and inform. If your post neither seeks learning nor educates then it has no place in this thread.

Thanks to all those who help here with questions and teachings!
Thank you for this post! I am CLUELESS TO OFF-ROADING BUT WOULD LOVE TO TRY! Definitely looking forward to what this has to offer!!! Being from Indiana I’m excited to start with sand dunes in Michigan!

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that my Bronco reservation has turned to an order, thoughts of actually going places and doing Bronco things enter my mind. Moab, Rubicon, Johnson Valley and other places will be new playgrounds as well as old standbys. I've done road trips/touring on motorcycles and my Mustang GT and they were fantastic! Looking forward to this new season in life!

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you for this post! I am CLUELESS TO OFF-ROADING BUT WOULD LOVE TO TRY! Definitely looking forward to what this has to offer!!! Being from Indiana I’m excited to start with sand dunes in Michigan!
Aren't there some dunes in Indiana at the south edge of Lake Michigan?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was that Silver Lake or something? Where they shot a video.

NurseA.J

Outer Banks
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outerbanks Sasquatch Lux 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

INDIANA Dunes state park!! It’s about 45 min from me! It’s not an off-road type of place. But about an hour and a half south of me is Badlands off-road park in Attica IN. A friend of mine was just there with his new Jeep Rubicon. We will be a trip all together when my Bronco arrives!!!

BCA

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explore Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most trail ratings are subjective, many marked trails will say “high clearance, overland, 4x4” or something to that affect with no marked rating.

OnX is a great off-road app. Good idea to check out forums and ask people who have run the trails.
YouTube has a lot of videos of trails all over this great country. Gives you and real good understanding of what the trail looks like and what to expect
Sponsored