Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have never done it, so I don't get the appeal of the tent on the roof. What is the appeal here? Ease of deployment? The bears won't getcha? I get up to pee in the middle of the night every night. I feel like that's a disaster waiting to happen for me. School me, my peoples.

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

LMAO

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have never done it, so I don't get the appeal of the tent on the roof. What is the appeal here? Ease of deployment? The bears won't getcha? I get up to pee in the middle of the night every night. I feel like that's a disaster waiting to happen for me. School me, my peoples.
Ford Bronco Photoshop - ROOF top tent on two door 1602557140726

Sponsored

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The RTT is for people who don't want to camp or return to the same spot on a trip. Basically if you're exploring a large park you don't have to return to the camp area after exploring, fishing, hunting, ect. For some people, If you have to repack and set up the tent every time it gets old. Most of the clamshell RTTs open and close within a minute or two. No poles or ropes to mess with.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
1. Ease of set up.
2. Padded mattress.
3. Can be used during the day (wherever you are).
4. Seconds to set up and put down.

As for bears... bear attacks are small compared to getting into accidents or even hitting an animal while driving. Keep your food far away, clean your dishes and keep them inside.

As for bathroom... it is an issue. But it is a little harder than getting out of a bunk bed. You still have to walk somewhere to go, right?

Last edited:

Thoos

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Thoos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a fan of them. You have to be parked perfectly level or sleeping sucks and they obstruct the open roof. I would rather have a cage rack for gear.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2D reserved and I'm seriously considering a RTT. A hardshell would be nice, but it would definitely take up ALL the roof space.
So my other option is a soft, folding 2 man tent. The most compact one I can find... Because I wanna reserve some roof space for a small basket carrier for hard storage box, fuel/water/recovery gear.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2D reserved and I'm seriously considering a RTT. A hardshell would be nice, but it would definitely take up ALL the roof space.
So my other option is a soft, folding 2 man tent. The most compact one I can find... Because I wanna reserve some roof space for a small basket carrier for hard storage box, fuel/water/recovery gear.
You can mount a shovel, extra gas (specialized wedge shaped container), a Maxtrax and a cooking grate/grill (for ground fires) all in the spare tire area in the back.

So do that and get a RTT that folds out in the back which should be about 1/2 the footprint as a hardshell, and you should still have lots of space or you can be open air in the front (depending on airflow).

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can mount a shovel, extra gas (specialized wedge shaped container), a Maxtrax and a cooking grate/grill (for ground fires) all in the spare tire area in the back.

So do that and get a RTT that folds out in the back which should be about 1/2 the footprint as a hardshell, and you should still have lots of space or you can be open air in the front (depending on airflow).
In the spare tire area? Seen lots of Jeeps like this but using an aftermarket tire mount. I don't think I'd load up the swing door hinge like this...

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's for overlanding.

Overlanding

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

RTT isn't for everyone, especially if you like to came in one location, base camp etc.

I plan on going with RTT. I'm in MN and road trip to AZ to see family. I like to take the scenic routes and explore. Travel for a day, camp somewhere that night; travel the next day, camp again... I don't want to pull a trailer, want to be as self contained as possible. Have to go with a RTT to fit the gear inside.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me it's the ability to pull off at hwy rest stops and truck stops and catch some z's. For actual camping, it's whatever.
Sponsored