First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I currently have a boring 7 passenger SUV that I drive for work. I drive 80 mile round trip for work (easy traffic, mostly highway). I need the capability of an SUV to visit construction jobsites. Traditionally, I had driven trucks, but didn't need the truck bed. I still have a truck too, and I rarely drive it. My plan was to get the Bronco and get rid of both the SUV and the truck (truck will retire to our farm). Is my mileage wrong for the Bronco? Money isn't an issue with initial purchase, but worried about total cost to own. Planning on Badlands or Wildtrak.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a long commute as well. Milage will add up fast. Concerned about same thing, plus I was Manual Trans which means smaller engine. Im thinking at the least I may have to ditch the manual trans for a bigger engine.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't sound like it. You may not like the way the the WT 35's or a squatched BL handle's on the highway but other than that you should be fine. I daily an F150 on 35's with a similar commute and I don't mind it at all. My gas mileage with a 3.5 EB is about 17mpg and I run in Sport mode with a heavy foot.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
80 mile commute yikes... honestly might want to consider an electric F-150 or other truck when they start coming out. My commute is 40 miles round trip and even that makes me just the slightest little apprehensive.

Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would go Badlands if you’re worried about trip mileage. With the Wildtrak, changing 35s and gas mileage are gonna cost a pretty penny over time. Especially with an 80 mile round trip (19,200+ miles/year assuming 4 weeks off work). Plus you get all the extra goodies with the Badlands.

At the end of the day, with that kind of commute, you’re destined to pay up in vehicle costs. The only way you really avoid it is by buying a Camry or something. I’m guessing that isn’t even on the table so I say go for the Bronco that excites you. Either way, good luck!

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
80 mile commute yikes... honestly might want to consider an electric F-150 or other truck when they start coming out. My commute is 40 miles round trip and even that makes me just the slightest little apprehensive.
I had initially placed a deposit on a Cybertruck, but they still have to build the plant for that so who knows when it will be out. The electric f-150 is going to be way more expensive. I need to think a lot about this. I may have to buy something to gap me between my current SUV and Cybertruck (if that is what I decide to do).

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I currently have a boring 7 passenger SUV that I drive for work. I drive 80 mile round trip for work (easy traffic, mostly highway). I need the capability of an SUV to visit construction jobsites. Traditionally, I had driven trucks, but didn't need the truck bed. I still have a truck too, and I rarely drive it. My plan was to get the Bronco and get rid of both the SUV and the truck (truck will retire to our farm). Is my mileage wrong for the Bronco? Money isn't an issue with initial purchase, but worried about total cost to own. Planning on Badlands or Wildtrak.
My opinion, which is worth about as much as the paper you'd print it on.

If it's a DD, the Badlands or Wildtrak is overkill. There's no reason a Base, BB or BD can't handle what you'll be doing with it. So assumption is, you chose Badlands or Wildtrak for higher packages, or looks, which is fine too.

With that said, yeah it's fine. If you are ok with getting around 20 mpg (give or take), then cost of ownership should be what you expect. It's not any different then if you bought a Jeep, or a Blazer, or an Explorer.

And honestly, you did say Money isn't an issue on initial purchase ($50k+ vehicle). So I can't see cost of ownership hurting you all that much either.

Stimpy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had initially placed a deposit on a Cybertruck, but they still have to build the plant for that so who knows when it will be out. The electric f-150 is going to be way more expensive. I need to think a lot about this. I may have to buy something to gap me between my current SUV and Cybertruck (if that is what I decide to do).
Do you have an early reservation for either the Cybertruck or Bronco? At this point both are likely to be delivered in 2022 as some point.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have to ask... is this the design they are really going with for the cybertruck?

Ford Bronco Is the Bronco wrong for me? 1603115378123

Because that thing looks like a joke, I mean seriously, a 5 year old could come up with a better design.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have an early reservation for either the Cybertruck or Bronco? At this point both are likely to be delivered in 2022 as some point.
Second day on Cybertruck and early August on Bronco. I was so sure on Cybertruck, which is why it took me a little time to consider the Bronco. I have 100k miles on my current SUV, and would really like to buy something next year.

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have to ask... is this the design they are really going with for the cybertruck?

Because that thing looks like a joke, I mean seriously, a 5 year old could come up with a better design.
My wife was super excited when I said I liked the Bronco because she hates the look of the Cybertruck. And personally, I don't want a long and big vehicle like a Cybertruck. All these comments are helping a lot. Thanks. I am sure there are others that are second guessing as order date is coming quickly (maybe) and none of us have driven the Bronco yet. So we are all just going by what we know from other products.

Stimpy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lol, yes. I reserved one, but I kind of agree on the design. It started to grow on me for a while. Now I like the Bronco a lot more and I think it will be more practical for my needs.

OP
OP
Woodypeoples

Woodypeoples

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I need Lux package if that is the only way to get adaptive cruise.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is roughly the same. If it's mostly highway it's not so bad. Gives you some time to clear your mind going into and out of work. I've been doing it for a little over 6 years in my Camaro SS.
Sponsored