Sponsored

What Will You Buy That Tows More Than 3500, Instead?

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been wanting a fun SUV with a tow rating of 5K or better. Was hoping (and expecting) the Bronco to provide this. Back to the drawing board.

Considering the V6 (ugh) Jeep truck or the '21 Durango SRT. Part of me feels like the Jeep/Bronco climate will be much better for the consumer in a few years . . .
Sponsored

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been wanting a fun SUV with a tow rating of 5K or better. Was hoping (and expecting) the Bronco to provide this. Back to the drawing board.

Considering the V6 (ugh) Jeep truck or the '21 Durango SRT. Part of me feels like the Jeep/Bronco climate will be much better for the consumer in a few years . . .
What are you towing?

OP
OP

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What are you towing?
Camper, cargo trailer, maybe my boat for short distances. Primarily wanting tow capacity for the cargo trailer, a tall 7 x 14 weighing 4440 loaded.

Not a huge deal; I'll buy something else. Ford won't miss me in the least. Just surprised by the 3500, and curious about others in a similar situation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Camper, cargo trailer, maybe my boat for short distances. Primarily wanting tow capacity for the loader cargo trailer, a tall 7 x 14 weighing 4440 loaded.

Not a huge deal; I'll buy something else. Ford won't miss me in the least. Just surprised by the 3500, and curious about others in a similar situation.
From my understanding, just from threads on 6G, you can’t have both; an off-roader and a great towing vehicle. I’d be lying if I tried to explain why but there was a large thread on it. I was expecting more than 3500lbs as well, but it is what it is. I’ll just have to be cautious when I plan on towing in my Wildtrak.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife has a ‘18 GC trailhawk (that can go everywhere that 95% of Bronco owners will go) right now that can tow 6k but I cant stand the 3.6 towing here in CO. Plan is to swap over to 4dr BL. Wife is wanting the new 4runner but that wont be out for a couple more yrs.

I have a f150 that we take most trips bc again I cant stand the 3.6 in jeeps. Original plan for me was to sell my f150 & wrangler for an ecodiesel gladiator. Leaving us w/ 2 vehicles vs 3. But Im leaning more towards a new F350 so I can tow the bronco & offroad camper on a gooseneck to our destination areas.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Been trying to decide exactly this for awhile now. Love the bronco, but likely won’t be getting one unless they up the tow cap.

Before the bronco I was considering the gladiator, and now that broncos basically out for me the gladiators back on the considerations, but that one has some drawbacks for me too. Not a huge fan of the engine, don’t need the truck bed, and hate the fact that jeep used the same manual trans from the wrangler so drops the tow cap from 7600lbs down to 4000lbs just getting manual transmission. The first two I could deal with, the last one annoyed me too much. Woulda been fine with a lesser tow cap, but not that much less. Tacoma can still tow over 6k with manual transmission. Heck if they just hadn’t made the gladiator manual trans an option I’d be less annoyed, the fact that they made a truck version of a wrangler which the biggest benefit over the wrangler is the high tow cap and then the manual cuts that tow cap back to almost the same as the wrangler is just stupid to me. If 4000 was more than enough for me I’d just get a wrangler(well I’d get the bronco now).

Outside the gladiator, my current considerations are the Durango SRT like you, or the GMC Yukon Denali(for the 6.2 engine). With 8500 tow cap for the yukon and 8700 for the srt, both have more than enough for me. SRT is my first pick just cause it’ll be fun, basically a hot rod with that engine, but still capable. Would still be major compromise for me, as I love the removable roof which was a big draw to the bronco/gladiator, and would love something capable off-road but that’s not a necessity for me, and no manual trans option(literally the only auto vehicle I’ve owned is what I’m looking to replace right now, and would prefer manual). But my thinking with the SRT or yukon is I can have it for a few years as my vehicle, then can pass it on to my SO and she can have it which would then give me the option for something else. At that time I’d look back into bronco or gladiator. Would still be nice to have the tow cap, but if I can still use the SRT or yukon for my towing needs then a manual trans black diamond bronco 4 door might be viable.

Course without the tow cap that’s still going to mean if I do get a bronco few years down the road it’ll be left at home when I’m on trips, so likely won’t see much if any off-road riding. Hence why I’d prefer they give the bronco a tow package to up the tow cap a bit. I’m fine making it a mall crawler, but would seem a waste to have that off road capability(which is the only thing keeping the tow cap low) and not using it at all. It would just end up my daily driver to get to work, pavement thumping all the way.

If Jeep ever made the wrangler six pack concept they had a few years back, and threw the 392 under the hood with a manual trans option and gave it at least 5-6k tow cap, I’d buy that in a heartbeat. Removable roof, decent tow cap, manual trans, yes please

Last edited:

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From my understanding, just from threads on 6G, you can’t have both; an off-roader and a great towing vehicle. I’d be lying if I tried to explain why but there was a large thread on it. I was expecting more than 3500lbs as well, but it is what it is. I’ll just have to be cautious when I plan on towing in my Wildtrak.
A 5k tow cap is nowhere near a great towing vehicle, so not asking to have an off roader with great towing ability. Just asking it to be decent.

Deleted member 3063

Personally, a Ranger Tremor. Would prefer a super cab but could live with the crew.

Sponsored

Kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk; ‘20 Honda Passport; '74 VW KG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Already have an '18 GC Trailhawk V8 for what I need. I just bought a '21 Passport Elite with 5,000 lb cap that replaced my 4,500 lb cap '12 Pilot (best vehicle I ever owned, surprisingly). The Bronco will work for towing my smaller kayak trailer.

I have been strongly contemplating the Guard Green '21 F-150 Lariat....

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Personally, a Ranger Tremor. Would prefer a super cab but could live with the crew.
if the shit show Bronco release goes down the toilet any more, I will be buying a Ranger Tremor. I just want to downsize, I have a F150, tows a house, but its too big for any trail stuff.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if the shit show Bronco release goes down the toilet any more, I will be buying a Ranger Tremor. I just want to downsize, I have a F150, tows a house, but its too big for any trail stuff.
Ahh come on now. I wheel the crap out of my f150 (6" lift & 35" MT) out here in CO. Only downside was a month ago when I had to back down a snow covered rocky trail that snaked back and forth roughly 100 yards in order to let others pass as it was super narrow and no area to pull off to the side. Other than that, its ran a good 15-20 moderate to difficult trails in the last year.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does it handle the trails? Asking for a friend......
My f150 is almost as large except a bit shorter in the bed, but I may find out because if I order a new truck, it'll be a F350 tremor that I'll be buying for its offroad capability along with towing capacity.
Sponsored