mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How much ground clearance on big bend? Black diamond?

based on look of rig and functionality what is the minimum ground clearance I should be looking to make suv look good and also be functional
Sponsored

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

based on look of rig and functionality what is the minimum ground clearance I should be looking to make suv look good and also be functional
The suspension on the Big Bend and Black Diamond is the same as the Base Model. The Base Model's clearance is about 8.3". As far as I know, the main thing that increases the clearance is tire diameter. The Base tire is 30" and the Black Diamond tire is 31.6". Half the difference is the increase of clearance so I estimate the Black Diamond clearance to be about 9.1" on the stock vehicle.
As to your second question, it all depend preference and use and these are very subjective. Personally I like the look of these vehicles on 33 inch tires with a little more clearance like the Badlands, but I know that I don't need the massive clearance of the Sasquatch package because I don't plan to try and conquer the Rubicon Trail.
Not sure if this helps but just my $.02 worth.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Specs have been stickied at the top of this forum since reveal date.

Clearance to look good? I guess that’s up to you. Clearance to meet your needs, well, you would know your needs better than we would. Since you didn’t say your need, I’d say it’s probably enough.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Manufacturers list minimum ground clearance (usually to the differential), so this number becomes strictly a function of tire size 30"=8.4, 32=9,5, 35=11, more or less. While this is important it is not the whole story.

Yeah a Subaru may have the same clearance as a Bronco, but that 8.x" is going to be at a lot more places than just a low hanging differential, not to mention approach, departure and breakover.

Modern 4x4's are designed around a low center of gravity and shielding the fuel tank for safety. This is why an old EB with 28" tires really has more useable clearance than a new Bronco with 32's. The diff. on an EB may be a little lower, but everything else is tucked away nicely. The new Bronco has a fixed front diff (IFS), a midships fuel tank and those hangy downy rear suspension components. So it needs big tires to even be competent off road.

The only reasonably priced modern 4x4's with decent dynamic ground clearance are 3/4 ton + Ford and Dodge pickups. If we and the Government didn't want so much safety and comfort built in design could be much more effective off road. Such is our world. I'm still buying a Bronco

Last edited:

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manufacturers list minimum ground clearance (usually to the differential), so this number becomes strictly a function of tire size 30"=8.4, 32=9,5, 35=11, more or less. While this is important it is not the whole story.

Yeah a Subaru may have the same clearance as a Bronco, but that 8.x" is going to be at a lot more places than just a low hanging differential, not to mention approach, departure and breakover.

Modern 4x4's are designed around a low center of gravity and shielding the fuel tank for safety. This is why an old EB with 28" tires really has more useable clearance than a new Bronco with 32's. The diff. on an EB may be a little lower, but everything else is tucked away nicely. The new Bronco has a fixed front diff (IFS), a midships fuel tank and those hangy downy rear suspension components. So it needs big tires to even be competent off road.

The only reasonably priced modern 4x4's with decent dynamic ground clearance are 3/4 ton + Ford and Dodge pickups. If we and the Government didn't want so much safety and comfort built in design could be much more effective off road. Such is our world. I'm still buying a Bronco
The added height from the tires between Base and Sasquatch is 2.2" yet the Sasquatch has 3.2" more than the Base, meaning they are definitely NOT measuring ground clearance from the rear differential. There actually is no industry standard for measuring ground clearance, they can say whatever they want. Ram claims the Power Wagon has like 14" of ground clearance even though the rear diff is less than 9" off the ground.

My guess is they are measuring ground clearance on the Bronco at the lowest point on the front skid plate, since that actually will move higher off the ground due to the suspension lift.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The added height from the tires between Base and Sasquatch is 2.2" yet the Sasquatch has 3.2" more than the Base, meaning they are definitely NOT measuring ground clearance from the rear differential. There actually is no industry standard for measuring ground clearance, they can say whatever they want. Ram claims the Power Wagon has like 14" of ground clearance even though the rear diff is less than 9" off the ground.

My guess is they are measuring ground clearance on the Bronco at the lowest point on the front skid plate, since that actually will move higher off the ground due to the suspension lift.
Well, the Base has 30" tires and the Sas has 35" tires, accounting for 2.5" of the difference. That with some additional lift in the Sas suspension will get you the 3.2. And you're probably right that they measure to the front diff (skid plate) not rear, I didn't state which. Also, on an IFS relative clearance actually decreases at that point when overcoming an obstacle as the suspension compresses, with a solid axle relative clearance stays the same as a wheel goes over an object.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, the Base has 30" tires and the Sas has 35" tires, accounting for 2.5" of the difference. That with some additional lift in the Sas suspension will get you the 3.2. And you're probably right that they measure to the front diff (skid plate) not rear, I didn't state which. Also, on an IFS relative clearance actually decreases at that point when overcoming an obstacle as the suspension compresses, with a solid axle relative clearance stays the same as a wheel goes over an object.
Measured tire sizes are 34.4" and 30.1" and we've specifically been told the Squatch has 1" lift. Rear diff is a common measuring point because it's typically larger and therefore lower, even on SFA. The point is there is no industry standard for advertised ground clearance, they can basically say whatever they want. And no, measuring from the front skid plate is not the same as the front diff. The front diff is not the lowest hanging part on a IFS vehicle, even if the skid is not there.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

They have different rear diffs, right? Maybe the cheapo aluminum diff on the base hangs lower than the steel diff for some reason, despite the smaller gears.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They have different rear diffs, right? Maybe the cheapo aluminum diff on the base hangs lower than the steel diff for some reason, despite the smaller gears.
No, all models have same Dana 44 in the rear, with or without Squatch.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Measured tire sizes are 34.4" and 30.1" and we've specifically been told the Squatch has 1" lift. Rear diff is a common measuring point because it's typically larger and therefore lower, even on SFA. The point is there is no industry standard for advertised ground clearance, they can basically say whatever they want. And no, measuring from the front skid plate is not the same as the front diff. The front diff is not the lowest hanging part on a IFS vehicle, even if the skid is not there.
Sure, I'm using round numbers so 4.3" yields 2.15" clearance from tire difference + 1" lift = 3.15". close enough to 3.2. My point being advertised ground clearance (no matter where it's measured) is not the only issue, dynamic clearance (IFS has inferior dynamic clearance compared to a solid axle) and clearance of other components, fuel tank, frame, exhaust , suspension parts etc all contribute to off roadability. I stand by my comment that an EB with 28" tires has better usable clearance than a Bronco, or Wrangler with 33 or maybe even 35" rubber. I'm still buying a Bronco

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ground clearance is overrated. Approach, departure, and breakover are more important. And even then sliders and skids make most things okay.

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thanks everyone for all of the info. Not a big fan of suv that doesn’t have good clearance and small tires. The stance is off. Doesn’t look right. I get that my light off-roading can be handled by just about any trim level, but with low clearance and tiny wheels it often looks odd.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is nuts. You mean to say that I'll have basically the same ground clearance in A Bronco as I have in my Subaru Crosstrek? This is wild to me.

FA4EC747-304A-4F50-84A3-A374DCD9CB0A.jpeg

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ground clearance is overrated. Approach, departure, and breakover are more important. And even then sliders and skids make most things okay.
Breakover is basically related to ground clearance at the skids. All these items are important in different situations.

Not having things to hang you up under the rig is important in rocks. You can often "bump" things over front and rear diff or rear suspension components. The rear diff on my Jeep has a "ramp" skid plate for just that purpose.

Smooth skids under the rig with good clearance is very helpful.

There are no magic numbers. It's like HP, more is better :)
Sponsored