Sponsored

where do you expect the new bronco to rank in the popular offroad vehicle heigharchy?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It was only an example. Let's try this one: Wyatt Earp with a cap gun. That better?
You mean the guy who's given more credit than he deserves in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral? Yeah, that's a good analogy for SFA, I guess. He was about as effective as a Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

You are howling in to the wind. The Bronco is not going to change. Accept it and find something else positive to look forward to in your life.

Maybe they'll have an SFA swap from Ford Performance. Maybe somebody else will come up with a swap that you can follow.

Maybe, if you applied yourself, you could be the one to figure it out. You'd be a hero.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For about 21 years I've been using my 79 bronco to plow with. No susp mods other than front leveling springs. It doesn't have anything special for front shocks and not even super cooling. Did add front lockrite to keep from spinning tires puling out boat on gravel ramp, not sure if that helps or hurts, overall reliability. Also recently did add 3G alt.

Not commercial by any means, but for the last 9 years, I've done mine and 7 or 8 of my neighbors 200+ish foot driveways and my own street, since they take so long to come out (if ever). Have done about 6 or 7, 2 footish storms (which is a lot for jersey, try to do them about half and half).

If the new bronco could not at least do that, for many years, without any breakage or significant wear at all,
I'd have to question it's front end stoutness (given we have had 40 odd years of development).

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For about 21 years I've been using my 79 bronco to plow with. No susp mods other than front leveling springs. It doesn't have anything special for front shocks and not even super cooling. Did add front lockrite to keep from spinning tires puling out boat on gravel ramp, not sure if that helps or hurts, overall reliability. Also recently did add 3G alt.

Not commercial by any means, but for the last 9 years, I've done mine and 7 or 8 of my neighbors 200+ish foot driveways and my own street, since they take so long to come out (if ever). Have done about 6 or 7, 2 footish storms (which is a lot for jersey, try to do them about half and half).

If the new bronco could not at least do that, for many years, without any breakage or significant wear at all,
I'd have to question it's front end stoutness (given we have had 40 odd years of development).
I think the reason that it has worked for so long on you 79 Bronco is that it's SFA, if you read many plow forums generally IFS is not thought of as being very strong on a plow truck.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Old western blade that I grafted A frame to Myers mount/pump (got it all for free, so made it work).

DCP04824.jpg

DCP04729.jpg

That's kind of a shame, as that would have been one of it's duties. I may have even been persuaded to sell this 79, as the prices are going through the roof like EB's now, if it could at least plow locally and tow my 24 foot boat.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the reason that it has worked for so long on you 79 Bronco is that it's SFA, if you read many plow forums generally IFS is not thought of as being very strong on a plow truck.
uuh, No foolin......................... But this is supposed to be well over and above the old IFS, right??

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
uuh, No foolin......................... But this is supposed to be well over and above the old IFS, right??
I am not sure about that :), I have a 78 F250 that's been worked pretty hard and all I have ever done to it is repack the hubs and put one u-joint in the front axle. I doubt we are going to see any IFS that has that little of an amount of work done to it in 42 years.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am not sure about that :), I have a 78 F250 that's been worked pretty hard and all I have ever done to it is repack the hubs and put one u-joint in the front axle. I doubt we are going to see any IFS that has that little of an amount of work done to it in 42 years.
Oh, I'm in that camp, having put the 70's 1/2 ton rigs through ridiculous amounts of abuse on
many different levels. But I keep getting chairs thrown at me to wait until it comes out. So I've been
trying to take a wait and see.

Now it's not even out yet, and I'm already told it can't do something (and even a new 1/2 ton
can't) that my 79 bronc did easily.

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh, I'm in that camp, having put the 70's 1/2 ton rigs through ridiculous amounts of abuse on
many different levels. But I keep getting chairs thrown at me to wait until it comes out. So I've been
trying to take a wait and see.

Now it's not even out yet, and I'm already told it can't do something (and even a new 1/2 ton
can't) that my 79 bronc did easily.
When I was a kid we had a 78 F150 351M 4 SPD 4x4 we used on the farm, it pulled a gooseneck constantly over rough ground overloaded. It held up well, although it went through many sets of u-joints in the front axle from being cut hard in 4WD while using the trailer. Nothing major ever broke, the transmission was noisy as hell from having the shit pulled out of it but it never broke. I don't believe any half-ton made today would take the abuse that old F150 did. Sure the new truck on the highway will have more power and out pull it but when it comes to being worked hard off road I don't think todays half tons would hold up. The other day I saw a kid I know with a load of scrap metal he had two Chevy HD aluminum front differentials on his load, I didn't know differential housings we wear items. I take my 4x4 vehicles off road but I'm not a rock crawler. The reason I want the SFA and MT is from a maintenance and longevity stand point. I don't really care if I suffer a little on highway performance to get it.

Sponsored

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess it all depends on intended usage..

80% of my driving is on the street and I can do most of the 20% off-roading with 4x2 and locking diff (pretty tame dirt roads) so IFS is plenty tough for me. And it rides and steers so much nicer.

Wifey hates the really rough stuff and it is more fun with my electric mtn bike anyway.

I was in the market for a JL and rented a 2019 Sahara for a week. It was nice but the steering was just a little too vague and loose. So IFS on the Bronco is a bonus for MY intended usage. Sounds like probably not for yours though..

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

WHAT ???? That can't be !!!!! IFS is the bomb there is none better !!!!!!! LOL

p.s. Chairs please. hahahahhahaahahhahahahahahahhaa

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Old western blade that I grafted A frame to Myers mount/pump (got it all for free, so made it work).

DCP04824.jpg

DCP04729.jpg

That's kind of a shame, as that would have been one of it's duties. I may have even been persuaded to sell this 79, as the prices are going through the roof like EB's now, if it could at least plow locally and tow my 24 foot boat.

One thing we have to remember here is OX1 can respect the fact of what he is doing, with what vehicle he is doing it with. The thing is ….. most of the general population doesn't respect what they are attempting and therefore blame the product not their conduct. If you get my drift. Kinda like watching guys tow three circle track cars to the track on a mobile home trailer frame by the bumper of an F-150. And then when he gets pulled over says "can you believe that prick cop pulled me over" ……... uuhhh yeah look at what you are driving down the road.

I.e. I don't hear OX1 one saying I plow with my Bronco but it's junk cause I gotta put brakes on it all the time. or because it needs ball joints everytime I get it inspected.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess it all depends on intended usage..

80% of my driving is on the street and I can do most of the 20% off-roading with 4x2 and locking diff (pretty tame dirt roads) so IFS is plenty tough for me. And it rides and steers so much nicer.

Wifey hates the really rough stuff and it is more fun with my electric mtn bike anyway.

I was in the market for a JL and rented a 2019 Sahara for a week. It was nice but the steering was just a little too vague and loose. So IFS on the Bronco is a bonus for MY intended usage. Sounds like probably not for yours though..
I'd by buying for only street use and like the looks of the black 4 door shown in the pics. I'm guessing that one would be less popular and hopefully cheaper.
Sponsored