First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 stx
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey all...I’ve been super stoked about the new bronco and have one reserved. However I tow a 16’ enclosed trailer with 2 quads and some gear weighing about 4000lbs. I only tow once or twice a year but it’s a 1000 miles round trip, so it’s far. Any chance the capacity gets increased? How bad is it to tow 500lbs over capacity? Thanks
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

500 Libs over may be pushing it, but personally it wouldn't stop me with a good set of trailer brakes and proper tongue weight.

But if you're packing the car with gear/people as well, I'd look into a smaller setup or (I know you probably don't want to hear this...) a different vehicle.

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
500 Libs over may be pushing it, but personally it wouldn't stop me with a good set of trailer brakes and proper tongue weight.

But if you're packing the car with gear/people as well, I'd look into a smaller setup or (I know you probably don't want to hear this...) a different vehicle.
It would have been great if you could give me a hint where from you got those Cummins information.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It would have been great if you could give me a hint where from you got those Cummins information.
Cummins field engineers.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The more I have thought about it, the more I think the Bronco is either intentionally under-rated, or there is just one specific thing holding it back that can be remedied. The 3rd gen explorer (which I owned) was rated to tow up to 7k pounds. The Bronco will be more powerful, heavier, better gearing in the axles, has a longer wheelbase, solid rear axle, more transmission gearing, and I’m sure better brakes. A slightly softer suspension, higher COG, or lack of a sway bar may decrease it a little bit but I’m sure it will be fine to tow 5k pounds with some airbags/class IV hitch.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Short wheelbase, suspension lacking leaf springs.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The more I have thought about it, the more I think the Bronco is either intentionally under-rated, or there is just one specific thing holding it back that can be remedied. The 3rd gen explorer (which I owned) was rated to tow up to 7k pounds. The Bronco will be more powerful, better gearing in the axles, has a longer wheelbase, solid rear axle, more transmission gearing, and I’m sure better brakes. A slightly softer suspension or lack of a sway bar may decrease it a little bit but I’m sure it will be fine to tow 5k pounds with some airbags/class IV hitch.
It's more than likely the suspension, for all the reasons you just posted.

Fitting helper springs or bags is going to be challenging due to the coilover design on the rear, however. Not impossible, but certainly challenging.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's more than likely the suspension, for all the reasons you just posted.

Fitting helper springs or bags is going to be challenging due to the coilover design on the rear, however. Not impossible, but certainly challenging.
...That is something I had not considered.

I am not planning on towing with mine, but if I did I would probably just tow stock and take it easy. I assume manufacturers have to assume people will be towing in Texas at 90 MPH... which yeah even 3500lbs would be super sketchy then. If you go 65 and don’t act like an idiot/have trailer brakes etc I’m sure 5k will be fine no problems.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Disappointed in how much the Defender payload, towing, and rear seat leg room trounces the preliminary Bronco specs. Doesn't seem like Ford would have wanted to get punched like that and considering the Ranger has very good towing and payload with the same drivetrain is should have been better. If the payload comes in low I wonder what the over-landers and folks who tow small boats (me) and side by sides are going to do. The issue with the diesel Gladiator Rubicon is the low payload (1000lbs). By the time you put four people in the truck the available trailer hitch weight is probably 200lbs, meaning not supposed to two over 2000lbs (10% trailer weight goes to payload). This may be a big issue for the Bronco. Mind you the Land Rover Defender 2.0 with tow package and rear locker comes in right around 53k. My Black Diamond Bronco is touching 47k. Lastly the rear seats (60/40) in the Defender folds flat and has 39" rear legroom vrs 36" in the Bronco.

2020 Defender Specs (2.0/4cyl and 3.0/6cyl)
Payload 1780 lbs-2020lbs
Towing 7716 lbs - 8201 lbs.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Disappointed in how much the Defender trounces the preliminary Bronco specs. Doesn't seem like Ford would have wanted to get punched like that and considering the Ranger has very good towing and payload with the same drivetrain is should have been better. If the payload comes in low I wonder what the over-landers and folks who tow small boats (me) and side by sides are going to do. The issue with the diesel Gladiator is the low payload (1000lbs). By the time you put four people in the truck the available trailer hitch weight is probably 200lbs, meaning not supposed to two over 2000lbs. This may be a big issue for the Bronco. Mind you the Ranger Rover 2.0 with tow package and rear locker comes in right around 53k. My Black Diamond Bronco is touching 47k.

Payload 1780 lbs-2020lbs
The defender is also horrific off-road. TFL has one and it was getting stuck on stuff that I would have no problem with in a stock 4x4 pickup

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Disappointed in how much the Defender trounces the preliminary Bronco specs. Doesn't seem like Ford would have wanted to get punched like that and considering the Ranger has very good towing and payload with the same drivetrain is should have been better. If the payload comes in low I wonder what the over-landers and folks who tow small boats and side by sides are going to do. The issue with the diesel Gladiator is the low payload (1000lbs). By the time you put four people in the truck the available trailer hitch weight is probably 200lbs, meaning not supposed to two over 2000lbs. This may be a big issue for the Bronco. Mind you the Ranger Rover 2.0 with tow package and rear locker comes in right around 53k. My Black Diamond Bronco is touching 47k.

Payload 1780 lbs-2020lbs
The Defender 110 comes with air suspension standard. Easy to have a variable-rate rear suspension that can mimic a leaf spring when you have that. But do you really want that suspension? It's been the sore spot for LR reliability these past few years.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Short wheelbase, suspension lacking leaf springs.
Short wheelbase may explain the 2dr, doesn’t explain why the 16in longer wheelbase 4dr is the same, especially with half a dozen suvs with same wheelbase as the 4 door towing more than double the broncos tow cap. So that leaves the suspension difference. And yea a softer suspension def warrants a lower rating, but with basically everything else coming from the ranger that can tow 7500lbs, even with softer suspension 3500lbs still seems like a cop out for at least the 4 door(especially with the shorter 2 door towing the same). It really just seems like they didn’t want to test it’s actual capability so they just went with a safe number across the board.
Sponsored