Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did my best attempt to search this thread and don't believe this was asked, sorry if it was.

Looking for educated guesses and/or those with experience with Wrangler roof racks.

If I plan to get a painted top later for my two door, what are thoughts on whether or not I get the roof rails with crossbars now, or wait until a painted top? I mean, would that be easily swappable to a new top or does the rack need to be purchased with the top?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did my best attempt to search this thread and don't believe this was asked, sorry if it was.

Looking for educated guesses and/or those with experience with Wrangler roof racks.

If I plan to get a painted top later for my two door, what are thoughts on whether or not I get the roof rails with crossbars now, or wait until a painted top? I mean, would that be easily swappable to a new top or does the rack need to be purchased with the top?
If it’s not easily interchangeable I’ll eat my hat.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And both made by Webasto.

Point is you'd think that somebody would've found a better supplier.

If they couldn't keep up with FCA pre-covid, what kind of genius would think they could keep up with FCA AND Ford post-covid?

Can't wait to build a doghouse out of my MIC top and put a best top softie on.
The delay was a decision made by Ford to speed up production. It has nothing to do with production availability.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...d-wildtrak-reservation-holders-get-a-surprise

Ford Bronco Announcement: MIC Hardtop Option Only Initially. Black Painted Modular Hardtop Will Be Late Availability 7BA17B1B-FF59-44CD-BE26-75E90B1F9912

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The way I see it, the new management team at Ford may have decided that in the interest of a speedy delivery they would standardize as much of the production as they can. These guys are literally sitting on about 200,000 reservations and do not know how they will deliver it.

I get it because honestly people have been waiting for this for a long time and maybe we give up a little bit of our preferences that can be updated later in exchange for early delivery and then as soon our favorite items -black or white painted tops -come out we can switch. That's what I am going to do. Maybe Ford can offer incentives for the exchanges when time comes. That said, I agree, the grey molded in tops look dreadful on some of the colors and Ford needs to work on product rollout; they are not Apple, i get it, but they can do better than this.
True - but if that's the case why the F overcomplicate the colors they have...keep it simple. Basics - single colors the 2 tone is not the 2 tone they showed in pre-prod and so it just feels like a let down.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The delay was a decision made by Ford to speed up production. It has nothing to do with production availability.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...d-wildtrak-reservation-holders-get-a-surprise

Ford Bronco Announcement: MIC Hardtop Option Only Initially. Black Painted Modular Hardtop Will Be Late Availability 7BA17B1B-FF59-44CD-BE26-75E90B1F9912
It says "to REDUCE CONSTRUCTION COMPLEXITY, AND ENSURE QUALITY."

It literally says nothing abouting "speeding up production."

It implies serious production problems to me. As have some your posts in the past.
The plant that’s making them isn’t going to be ready to build until Dec at the earliest
The plant was SUPPOSED to be finished in December.

Just saying most of us can read between the lines.

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It says "to REDUCE CONSTRUCTION COMPLEXITY, AND ENSURE QUALITY."

It literally says nothing abouting "speeding up production."

It implies serious production problems to me. As have some your posts in the past.
The plant was SUPPOSED to be finished in December.

Just saying most of us can read between the lines.
Did you not also read the article?
They say “reduce production complexity” meaning the production line. The mod top puts a kink in the production line and causes slow downs. That’s been reported by some assembly workers on here recently.
By only using MIC tops, it speeds up the production tremendously. No need to add the glass panels and no need to prime, paint, and dry. The MIC top comes shipped ready to install. Mod does not.
As far as the mod top production plant starting to build in December? That’s correct. That is on time. They aren’t scheduled to be late. That info came from another one of their employees on here not too long ago.
So I am reading between the lines. You are guessing between the lines by assuming.
I’m not going to post their names on here but if you do some digging around you can find the same information.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They say “reduce production complexity” meaning the production line. The mod top puts a kink in the production line and causes slow downs. That’s been reported by some assembly workers on here recently.
As far as the mod top production plant starting to build in December? That’s correct. That is on time. They aren’t scheduled to be late. That info came from another one of their employees on here not too long ago.
So I am reading between the lines. You are guessing between the lines by assuming.
I’m not going to post their names on here but if you do some digging around you can find the same information.
I did misread your statement. I read the "plant being ready to build" as saying ready to build the plant, not ready to build the tops.

I could very well be wrong, but I recall a Webasto employee (pretty sure it was you) implying there were problems with BOTH tops months ago.

I don't really see the point in searching for the "he said, she said." A forensic investigation of the failure is not really needed. From the consumers viewpoint there ARE production problems. They marketed it to us, now they can't (or won't) sell it to us. Whether those problems are at Ford or Webasto really makes no difference to me, or probably anybody else.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually it was you. And it was last week. Not months ago.

The more I see the MIC top, the more I dislike it, especially the interior surface that is proving very problematic in the manufacturing process.
Since we're still deep into problem solving to refine the process and eliminate the defects, I don't want to say anything at this point as they could very well be a non-issue by the time production starts.

Rest assured, if there are still problems come Job 1 in March, I'll not hesitate to make sure people are aware of them.
Most of the issues are regardless of the outer shell but there are others that are unique to the MIC and Modular shells as well.
So, yes. According to YOURSELF there ARE production issues.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did misread your statement. I read the "plant being ready to build" as saying ready to build the plant, not ready to build the tops.

I could very well be wrong, but I recall a Webasto employee (pretty sure it was you) implying there were problems with BOTH tops months ago.

I don't really see the point in searching for the "he said, she said." A forensic investigation of the failure is not really needed. From the consumers viewpoint there ARE production problems. They marketed it to us, now they can't (or won't) sell it to us. Whether those problems are at Ford or Webasto really makes no difference to me, or probably anybody else.
I agree. Except my feelings would be different if the manufacturer was delayed and it wasn’t Ford’s fault. I think it’s a different situation if Ford made a decision to delay the mod top. Lots of people are now planning to switch away from WT and FE due to this change.
Yes a lot are also for the interiors too.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actually it was you. And it was last week. Not months ago.

So, yes. According to YOURSELF there ARE production issues.

You’re an idiot........ who are you talking to? ?

You are “guessing” between the lines again. That person you quoted is saying that it could be a non issue by their production time in March. That’s 5 months away. That company is not reporting to Ford that the tops will be delayed. Not yet anyways.
Maybe you should take a break? I think all this stress is starting to get to you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You’re an idiot........ who are you talking to? ?

You are “guessing” between the lines again. That person you quoted is saying that it could be a non issue by their production time in March. That’s 5 months away. That company is not reporting to Ford that the tops will be delayed. What’s going on there at this moment has nothing to do with Ford’s decision to delay the mod top.
Maybe you should take a break? I think all this stress is starting to get to you.
To be fair, yes I am. When I first posted that I had you quoted thinking you 2 were one in the same. But they are both generic Bronco forum names so please forgive me.

I did remove your quote thinking it was clear that I was talking to BroncoGuy. But upon re-reading I can see that's it's not super clear.

I'll take the word of a Webasto employee over Ford's press release any day.

I'm not stressed about it. My MIC top will be a doghouse day 1 if I don't like it. But there ARE production issues right now.

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lack of frustration/anger/disappointed that black painted and color painted tops will not be available at launch? Especially since the black painted top was to be standard on a couple of the model offerings. I recall thread after thread of people discussing how badly they hated the MIC tops, etc. It would seem to me that this is a huge curveball.
Has everyone chosen to settle at this point?
Going to wait for the Body Color or White painted Modular Top. Question is; will my 2021 Badlands Reservation work or will I have to reserve a 2022 year model?

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By only using MIC tops, it speeds up the production tremendously. No need to add the glass panels and no need to prime, paint, and dry. The MIC top comes shipped ready to install. Mod does not.
who cares? Just make the MIC top black. I don’t care the reasons why they have one top...at least make that one MIC top something people want.

I’m literally selling my car now because I want a Bronco. However, with this MIC news, and the chance of having more interior choices for my22. I may cancel my reservation and wait. And I never thought I’d be saying that...I’ve been ready to buy from the start.

GeneralBoisvert

Badlands
First Name
Sheik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imagine reserving your dream Bronco to find out it’ll come with a soft top that you won’t want or a MIC top that you don’t like.

Heart Crushing.

It seems getting a 2022-2023 model would be the smarter move.
Sponsored