Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone own a newer Wrangler (2018-20 model year)? If so, what problems, if any, have you experienced?

As loyal as I am to Ford, I am actually considering a 2021 Wrangler Islander if I can get it in Hellayella with a white roof. This is the look of my dream ride. (Yes, it sounds like an obsession.) My biggest concerns are that Wranglers do not have the best reputation for quality. And the price. The Islander is quite a bit more than a Base Bronco. Of course, as a first model year vehicle, who knows what problems the Bronco may or may not have.

I know with the price difference I can get the Bronco painted. And that the white top may be an expensive option once available on the aftermarket or by Ford. I plan on driving my new rig until my family takes away my car keys, and want to make the best decision.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone own a newer Wrangler (2018-20 model year)? If so, what problems, if any, have you experienced?

As loyal as I am to Ford, I am actually considering a 2021 Wrangler Islander if I can get it in Hellayella with a white roof. This is the look of my dream ride. (Yes, it sounds like an obsession.) My biggest concerns are that Wranglers do not have the best reputation for quality. And the price. The Islander is quite a bit more than a Base Bronco. Of course, as a first model year vehicle, who knows what problems the Bronco may or may not have.

I know with the price difference I can get the Bronco painted. And that the white top may be an expensive option once available on the aftermarket or by Ford. I plan on driving my new rig until my family takes away my car keys, and want to make the best decision.

Thanks for your input.

Friend has a MY20 that I drive all the time. No issues and the quality seems solid. Biggest issue to look out for are steering issues. But be ware. I'm a fast driver and this bronco will be my daily. My reason for not buying a Jeep is that it's kinda sketchy to drive fast. You really have to take your time on turns and be a lot more careful. I'm hoping with the bronco being wider and having independent front suspension, it will drive more like an SUV and give you a more confident feeling on the road while still being capable off road. Just my two cents.

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Theres a 400+ page loose steering thread on the JL forum that kept me out of a Wrangler. Supposedly, after 2 years, there's a TSB that finally fixes this. Well done FCA, keep up the amazing work.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2010 is rock solid, all Iā€™ve done is maintenance, a radiator, and a $25 AC sensor.

I have a ton of friends with newer JK wranglers, and they have been solid except for the cooling systems. A few of them have issues with water pumps and thermostats. Iā€™d bet that itā€™s been resolved in the new JLā€™s though.

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Friend has a MY20 that I drive all the time. No issues and the quality seems solid. Biggest issue to look out for are steering issues. But be ware. I'm a fast driver and this bronco will be my daily. My reason for not buying a Jeep is that it's kinda sketchy to drive fast. You really have to take your time on turns and be a lot more careful. I'm hoping with the bronco being wider and having independent front suspension, it will drive more like an SUV and give you a more confident feeling on the road while still being capable off road. Just my two cents.
Iā€™m on my 3rd and final Jeep. They are constantly needing fixing. My last visit was to replace the gas tank and fuel pump because of a corroded seal. Ba bye Jeep. Hello Bronco.

Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I own 2017 JK.

I will not be replacing it with a JL for the following reasons;

1: Jeep altered the suspension geometry to make the JL ride softer over bumps on the street.
IMHO, It appears that they went too far.
Death wobble has been a huge problem for the JL.
To the point where a class action lawsuit is forming.

2: Jeep cheapened out the electrical systems to where hi pressure car washes that also clean the underside of the vehicle , washes that economy cars have used for years, will short out the JL.
Jeep did this to something that is supposed to be a offroad vehicle.

3: Go to Jeep lot, grab a JL door handle, and pull up and down while opening it ( not too hard, you might break it), now grab the leather wrapped steering wheel and twist, give the dash controls a little rough treatment too.

Now go do all of that on a used JK.

You can feel how much the JL was cheapened out.
It is made of thinner and lighter lighter materials everywhere.

No thanks, to all of that.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had multiple wranglers. Currently own a 2018 JL rubicon. I have 15,000 miles on it. I have had zero issues with the wrangler. Interior, ride and sound is dramatically improved. Transmission is a major step up. Great Alpine stereo.

Steering is vague but I have not had a single death wobble issue. Before I had the tsb fix and none after the fix. I drive it all the time at the 75-80 mph level without issue. I have not had any need to go faster. It is stable around corners but common sense still needs to be applied.

I think it is important to give context to what my car is that I drive on a regular basis. It is not a 72 Chrysler or a mini van. I have a newer Alpha 7 GTR. This car can hug an s curve at ridiculous speeds. Aero, wide, sticky tires, awd. So when I say the steering is vague, almost anything is vague compared to the GTR.

Doesnā€™t mean the Jeep steering is great. It is not but it isnā€™t is bad as some have described it in my opinion.

Best answer is to go test drive one. Make up your own mind.

That being said, the Bronco will likely be much better than the Jeep. I am going to get one and keep the Jeep for my wife. She likes to mall crawl in it with the top off.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2018 early build JLU Sport S and it has been near perfect. I did find one Jeep in my test drives that had super loose steering, but thankfully it is easy to spot in a test drive and I obviously didn't buy that one. Only 'issue' I have had was a dead battery (it has two) so that dead battery made the ESS turn off. Also ~2 weeks ago the key fob was wonking out so I pushed in the fuses to make sure firmly seated and that seems to have fixed that.

No rattles that were not my fault, no 'death wobble' (mine is stock so very low risk of that), the transmission (ZF 8 speed) is fantastic... no regrets on this purchase at all and will keep her with no concerns for a long time to come (I went Pentastar V6 to minimize risk of weird gremlins) if I decide the Bronco is not right for me.

OP
OP
cybersal

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the above posts, the info is really appreciated.

I test drove a two door Wrangler in the summer of 2019. I wasn't 100% impressed. Reading reports about the infamous death wobble, steering issues, and TIPM failure made the decision. But I see dozens of Wranglers every day, so I figure people are relatively happy with them or it's a cult.

Reading info from actual Jeep owners and possible Bronco buyers is SO valued, thanks again.

Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn't know I was in a cult... my experience is the opposite - for actual members that have issues the forums (2 very popular ones out there) are really helpful in solving the problem and communicating what to do and what TSBs come out. There are occasional 0-post new members that join and post some horror story that seem like trolls and do get shut down/ignored once that person's story falls apart or they disappear (e.g. "had 12 death wobbles on way to work this morning and then bumper fell off and dealer told me to go to hell" type of posts).

But there are like 200k JL's sold each year and a good number of those are lifted/upgraded everything in peoples garages with varying levels of mechanical skill then abused across the planet. For every trail in my area (Northern AZ/southern Utah) it seems like 10 jeeps (many of which are JLs that are amazingly not on fire or having electrical issues... that is sarcasm) to ever one 4runner/FJ and super rare sighting of something else. Lots of waving going on...

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gf has a lifted 2019 jl on 35s no problem here ,but she might be grand poobah of the cult

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks for your input.
I had a 2013 JK Sahara Unlimited that I bought new. I added a 4 inch lift and 35" tires. It came with 4.10 gearing. I never felt it lacked in power, even with the stock gear ratio and me adding 35" tires. It handled decent off roading here in TN. It handled whatever I threw at it. I never did rock crawling. I didn't have any issues with it. I have heard a lot of the wranglers had overheating issues and radiator issues. I never did. It was my first jeep and I thought it rode pretty good. I had a buddy that had an older TJ and there was a big difference in handling. Mine was like a Cadillac.
Sponsored