Sponsored

Painted separate fender flares

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While you might be able to remove the flares, I wouldn't count on it being easy (or even possible without breaking a clip or two). In other manufacturer designs, while removable, flares are rarely a simple unclip and go wheeling type of thing. If they were, the flares wouldn't offer the rigidity you want when street driving.
This is supposed to be the modability king, flagship for offroading, So I'd hope
they are not using flimsy, one time use, speednuts (or worse yet something plastic).

Tires and wheels will be the biggest mod. Swapping out flares, if even just for looks of a wider
tire on the street, was I hope a top priority.
Sponsored

304Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Fastback Mustang
My thoughts exactly. They just look like an afterthought and slapped something from the junk pile on there.

The Wrangler ones at least have some contour and design to them. The ones on that 2 door looked a bit too much like the lawn edging mod for my tastes:
Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares b5mcjxq3j6dx

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Wrangler ones at least have some contour and design to them. The ones on that 2 door looked a bit too much like the lawn edging mod for my tastes:
I don't see much difference between the Wrangler and Bronco, beyond hexagon vs circle for the overall shape, and the slight bell'ing of the fender itself on the Ford. The plastic itself appears to have the same level of contouring.

Dimension wise I'd say that when you include the flaring of the metal the Bronco fender well is probably the same depth as the Wrangler, but with a tighter lower opening that will offer greater restriction to up-sizing tires.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't see much difference between the Wrangler and Bronco, beyond hexagon vs circle for the overall shape, and the slight bell'ing of the fender itself on the Ford. The plastic itself appears to have the same level of contouring.

Dimension wise I'd say that when you include the flaring of the metal the Bronco fender well is probably the same depth as the Wrangler, but with a tighter lower opening that will offer greater restriction to up-sizing tires.
Had to go back and double check, but the ones on the 2 door are definitely significantly different to the wrangler. Where the wrangler angles out and then has a flat downward section, the 2 door we saw had a part that just sticks straight out. Something like this:
Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares 1583515766212

That's what makes it look cheap, that bit just sticking straight out flat from the bottom of the curved section.

304Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Fastback Mustang
Thank you for the visual aid. I wanted to describe in more detail what bothered me about it, but this illustrates it much better. I hope it's not the final production flare, or there are some alternative versions with varying models.
The ones on the Raptor look good because they have transition back into the body, instead of this UTV/farm tractor looking variation. Just seems very crude at first look.

Had to go back and double check, but the ones on the 2 door are definitely significantly different to the wrangler. Where the wrangler angles out and then has a flat downward section, the 2 door we saw had a part that just sticks straight out. Something like this:

That's what makes it look cheap, that bit just sticking straight out flat from the bottom of the curved section.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What I see is a metal fender shaped like the trucks, but on a slightly smaller scale for the contouring, and a compound curve in the plastic flare that will provide it with enough structure not to flap in the wind as you make your escape from the cops.

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares Bronco fender flare

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What I see is a metal fender shaped like the trucks, but on a slightly smaller scale for the contouring, and a compound curve in the plastic flare that will provide it with enough structure not to flap in the wind as you make your escape from the cops.

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares Bronco fender flare

I hope you are correct. The painted flares on the 4 door certainly looked more like that, and looked a lot better. It could have been the lighting or angle on the 2 door that made them look more flat on the top, or maybe it's the transition between painted metal and unpainted flare on the 2 door that looks more egregious on the Bronco than on the wrangler where the flare decides more of the shape of the whole fender.

Again, for anyone who wants to find the mysterious pics and what we're talking about, Jalopnik has an article up with the pictures in them.

Sponsored

NM Design

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2010 Raptor, 2002 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also thought the flare was a little odd and that we were just looking at an inner fender plastic, or assembly guard, but with the quality of the photos its hard to tell.

here is what some of the the raptors look like without the flare installed

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares 1583518961839

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares 1583518855742

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares 1583518873373

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Am I the only one that wasn't impressed with the look of the flares? I''ll have to wait and see a better pic at release, but they didn't look as finished as I expected and a little too tacked on. Hopefully better pics and larger wheels help.
I agree, but I also realize they're not good photos, so I'm waiting to judge them until I see the whole thing.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what I was concerned with. Seemed like much bigger tires would not be possible. Maybe it was just the pic angle.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Still a very healthy amount of sidewall on 17's. I wouldn't want any bigger though I agree.
I suspect any "duner" edition is going to have big brakes for 100 MPH desert running, which
will jack up min rim sizes.

Ford Bronco Painted separate fender flares 1583518873373

37's on 15's look HUGE but 37's on 17's look normal. I have 35's on factory 20's and people call me a liar when I tell them 35's !!! They have to look and say "damn they don't look like 35's" " I can't believe that thing is not lifted"
Sponsored