Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not a bad idea. The downside would be easy access (by baddies) to open up your garage when your Bronco's top/doors are off.

If I park topless/doorless in my driveway, I'd lock my opener in the center console. Actually, I'd probably just use my phone.

Here's what I have added on to my old garage door openers. I can open/close them wherever I have internet access. Convenient when one of my kids forgets to close the door. :rolleyes:
Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
I have an app as well. I only use it when I don't have access to a garage door opener. It's much quicker and easier to just hit the button on my truck then to pull my phone out.

The baddies is one of the reasons why this could be an ok idea in my area. It's pretty low crime and I wouldn't expect someone to fiddle with the aux switches in hopes it does something. Most of the time the vehicle is at home it's in the garage anyway. YMMV in your location though.
Sponsored

Opossum

Black Diamond
First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

unless you have one of those newfangled apps lol
If someone has their garage door enabled on their network and they are trying to figure out how to rig up an auxiliary toggle switch to activate the door, they should be shamed into driving a 1994 Toyota Tercel.*

*No offense to anyone who loves their '94 Tercel. I'm sure it was a great car.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an app as well. I only use it when I don't have access to a garage door opener. It's much quicker and easier to just hit the button on my truck then to pull my phone out.

The baddies is one of the reasons why this could be an ok idea in my area. It's pretty low crime and I wouldn't expect someone to fiddle with the aux switches in hopes it does something. Most of the time the vehicle is at home it's in the garage anyway. YMMV in your location though.
My GD Opener is wi-fi enabled for remote operation, but getting the phone out, unlocking it, opening the app, and activating the opener is a bit of a pain. Would rather just reach up and press that AUX switch. :)

gmcul8r

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, International Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my JKU I have my garage door remote hidden under the roll-bar cover right above the driver. Found a spot I liked, unzipped the cover and placed it in there. Nobody knows it's there and it's really convenient.

Still no excuse for Ford not offering this on the lower trim levels....

Opossum

Black Diamond
First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You don't need the complexity of a relay, but you will need a step down 12>9 (or three) volt buck transformer unless the opener is 12 volts (most are not)
Exactly this. The Aux switch *is* the relay. There is no need to have a relay switch another relay to close the circuit.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

good solutions but the factory installed openers are also Universal

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get a dremel, soldering iron an a towel (to wipe the sweat of your forehead when you cut into the top panel of your new $40k+ rig...)

Hook it to the auto dimming mirror, its powered only when engine is on. No problem leaving the car in the driveway at home!

Ford Bronco Garage Door on Aux Switches? image

Last edited:

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If someone has their garage door enabled on their network and they are trying to figure out how to rig up an auxiliary toggle switch to activate the door, they should be shamed into driving a 1994 Toyota Tercel.*

*No offense to anyone who loves their '94 Tercel. I'm sure it was a great car.
i think i can confidently say that i have pooped prettier turds than that thing

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a dremel, soldering iron an a towel (to wipe the sweat of your forehead when you cut into the top panrl if your new $40k+ rig...)

Hook it to the auto dimming mirror, its powered only when engine is on. No problem leaving the car in the driveway at home!

that is actually a damned good idea

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You don't need the complexity of a relay, but you will need a step down 12>9 (or three) volt buck transformer unless the opener is 12 volts (most are not)
You don’t even need a step down, just use the battery that garage remote already uses, place in a hidden but not inaccessible place, change battery as often as you would any garage remote battery(not often, mines going over 2 years used every time I come and go). Pop apart the casing, solder wire to either side of the button and use those two wires to switch. Doesn’t need vehicle power for any of it. Depending how ford does the aux switches, other brands you can configure aux buttons, like whether they turn on/off auto with car, or momentary switch function. Use it as a momentary switch and it’ll act exactly like the push button on the remote. Done similar thing with an added momentary switch before. Basically just adding an extension to the button on the garage remote nothing more.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a dremel, soldering iron an a towel (to wipe the sweat of your forehead when you cut into the top panrl if your new $40k+ rig...)

Not a bad idea, but the AUX switches will be ing switched I am sure, or I see a lot of dead batteries in the future. Besides, you nee room to install the Opener, which is not small, better to install in the engine compartment (where the aux power lead is) than the overhead. There is more room for the opener and transformer in a small waterproof electrical box.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol .... I meant universal to work with all brands of garage openers
Most openers are rolling code receivers and can be paired to other transmitters. If not how often are you going to change openers? and changing out the transmitter in the setup is easy.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided