Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do like 5 guys. The last one I ate at tho had soggy yet still burnt fries. Moved out to the middle of nowhere where the best burgers are from the local non chain restaurants. No wawa's up here either. Although Rutter's has aggressively moved in to battle Sheetz. Filled up the other day outside state college for $2.05 a gallon. Love competition
See the gas prices by my school are always higher its weird. Best burgers and fries tho are homemade. Close second at least on the burger side is a Venezuelans burger those things are straight fire
Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 10 speed is what is making the decision for me so far - I really need to go test drive one to try for myself but based on reviews and various forum comments it sounds pretty bad (and coming from a current 'fleet' of a pair of ZF 8-speeds and a Mazda 6-speed I am pretty spoiled on transmissions that don't suck). At least it isn't a CVT though!

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This here. The 10-speed is a GREAT transmission and with it matched to the motor specs, I doubt most people will even even complain.

I run the 3.5EB with a 10-speed in my F150. This past weekend, I was pulling a loaded RV and a bed full of dirt bikes and equipment up Vail pass in CO (10,666 feet). I was passing people going up and hardly had to use the brakes coming down due mostly to the transmission being extremely smart. Water temp climbed as I was putting all the boost it could make to it but I wasn’t being nice either.

You make a lot of great points, I have driven my share of these engines and I gotta say even the difference between a 2.7 with the 6 speed vs the 10 speed is mind boggling. When I first drove the 2.7 it was with the 6 speed and I was frankly underwhelmed but by god that 10 speed is incredible, the transmission is what makes it for me and the 2.7 with the 10 speed even on a loaded out heavy f150 is not only quick it is fast not only off the line but at speed, drops gears instantly and the front end lifts because of how hard that thing punches. The 2.3 is fantastic and it is a well tested and tried and true engine but a lot of the points about long term wear are valid, also it doesn't shoot you into hyperspace like that 2.7 so I am going with the big boy myself.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This here. The 10-speed is a GREAT transmission and with it matched to the motor specs, I doubt most people will even even complain.

I run the 3.5EB with a 10-speed in my F150. This past weekend, I was pulling a loaded RV and a bed full of dirt bikes and equipment up Vail pass in CO (10,666 feet). I was passing people going up and hardly had to use the brakes coming down due mostly to the transmission being extremely smart. Water temp climbed as I was putting all the boost it could make to it but I wasn’t being nice either.
Yeah even I thought the whole idea of a smart gearbox and all that was extremely gimmicky but by god does it do a great job. I wish the 3.5 could be in the bronco that would be sick

OP
OP
Jtorral

Jtorral

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
daily drove a manual 2 seat sports car for 11 years. I have nothing left to prove. its lots of fun 2% of the time, then theres the daily traffic during commute where it just sucks.
Excellent point. Straight to the point and I believe it addresses our need to show we are not millennials :) I still have manuals at home from Audi to Triumph. I think I am going with the 2.7 and Auto.

Jag-2.jpg

TR6-2.jpg

Sponsored

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
daily drove a manual 2 seat sports car for 11 years. I have nothing left to prove. its lots of fun 2% of the time, then theres the daily traffic during commute where it just sucks.

One day, maybe Ill pick up another manual sports car, but for an SUV? long shifter throws and trying to do things like rocking out of ditches or climbing a ledge? yuck. wonder what the clutch feel is like.

Most seasoned offroaders prefer an automatic, and with new tech like 1 pedal driving, its even more helpful.

More power to those that want a manual, but 99% of my miles will be on the road, and that 2.7L takes a reeaalll nice ECU tune courtesy of the mustang crowd. 400HP is going to be a blast I think.
I was set on a manual 2.3 until I read this and reality came crashing down. Thanks for nothing! ;)

OP
OP
Jtorral

Jtorral

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a quick follow up.

I had a 2016 Rubicon with a 6spd. My normal commute from work back home was typically about 35 minutes. One day, there was an accident on I5 which affected the roads I take home every day. I mean all roads home were backed up. It took me over 3 hours to get home that day. With stop and go several times every few feet of travel. It was horrible. The next day, I drove straight to the dealer, traded in the Rubicon and brought home a fully loaded Grand Cherokee with an automatic transmission. Having said that. I now work from home full time so the traffic issues are diminished substantially. Regardless, I think I am still sticking with the 2.7 at this time.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I saw a YouTube video about the 2.3 and the 4 cylinder not being great long-term with high mileage. Seems to make sense to me if you run the engine hard off-road the engine will wear out much quicker. I plan on having mine for a long hall going with the 6 cylinder.
If you watched this dillhole then you get what you paid for (which was free-99). His "assessment" is pure garbage.

Mine is the 4-cylinder versus the 6... I’m currently driving a SUV rental w/a 4 while our 6 is sidelined and I noticed it lacked that explosiveness on the highway.
Your argument is that every single 4-cylinder car in the world performs exactly the same. And that every V6 in the world performs exactly the same. And that you can compare ANY I4 against ANY V6 and have apples to apples comparison.

I cannot stress enough how deeply flawed this logic is.
FWIW, the fastest 4 cylinder car in the world just ran a 6.078 quarter mile time at 229 mph.

Now compare that to a Saturn Vue with V6. Should be apples to apples, according to your logic.

Great post about Badlands not needing Squatch to keep the manual transmission.

:cry: You were supposed to include me on that to see what their deal is! :cry:

4x4 crew cab rangers are about 4,400 lbs. Base 2 door auto Bronco is 4,339. The heaviest 2.3 2-door Bronco is almost 5,000lbs. The 2.3 should still be fine at that weight with 4.70 gearing.
Don't forget that the 2.3 Ranger is also rated to tow 7,000 while having 1,200 in the bed.

I've driven a 2019 Ranger with the 2.3 while towing 4,500 lbs and another 600 lbs in the bed. Could not tell there was a trailer being hauled at all. Accelerated on the freeway nearly as quick, going from a stoplight, no problems. The 2.3 has capacity well in excess of Bronco's maximum GVRW and has been comically misunderstood on these here digital pages.

Even if it is a ford performance tune that keeps your warranty you will have a lot more wear and problems down the line. Forced induction is already harder on engines than NA and if u take that to the nth degree it can be problematic very quickly
I'll ignore the other 15 posts back and forth about fuel types, but really? Your argument is that forced induction is harder on a motor, so you want a TWIN TURBO motor to..... do....... more wear? Again, only using YOUR argument here and having a little snicker.

The 10 speed is what is making the decision for me so far - I really need to go test drive one to try for myself but based on reviews and various forum comments it sounds pretty bad (and coming from a current 'fleet' of a pair of ZF 8-speeds and a Mazda 6-speed I am pretty spoiled on transmissions that don't suck). At least it isn't a CVT though!
I have a 2018 Mazda 6 GT with their 6-speed auto, it's a bit slow reacting and lackluster.

I've got 4,500 miles out of the 13K on a 2019 Ranger and find the 10-speed it comes with infuriating. Have shared this many times, it is a transmission tuned to get into 9th or 10th gear as fast as possible, regardless of the situation. Rolling down a flat road at 35 mph in 9th gear. Ninth? Seriously, why? Trying to merge on the freeway in 8th.... It's a fine transmission overall (yes, they have the 2nd gear "bump" when getting going), but it SUCKS to drive if you know how to drive a manual transmission and realize it's making stupid decisions in stupid situations.

If you go test drive a Ranger, please do about 5-10 miles in full automatic. Then adjust the instrument gauges so you can see the gear and repeat those same 5-10 miles in Sport mode (S on the shift gate) and use the "+"/"-" buttons on the shifter to control the gearing. Obviously the gear ratios are drastically different than Bronco will be, but you need to drive the Ranger when you are controlling the gearing... Will blow your mind how capable and eager the 2.3 motor is. This thing is going to be a BEAST with the 7mt in Bronco. And with the crawler gear ratio of almost 95:1, it's going to be putting down torque harder than Ron Jeremy in a group session.

I was set on a manual 2.3 until I read this and reality came crashing down. Thanks for nothing! ;)
There hasn't been a lot of great info on the 2.3 from these forums i'm afraid. Plenty of anecdotal mud slinging and "V6 bigger, so V6 better!" caveman arguments with many chests puffed out.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, if it's all about the "size" of a motor, the comparison is WEAK AT BEST.

2.3 ltr inline 4 = 140 cubic inches
2.7 ltr V6 = 167 cubic inches

Now, I can only guess what most of these guys are telling their wives about the size difference of these motors, but that isn't a well-girthy 9 inches you have there with the V6.

I'm no different than most of you, I wish I had a spare 2" for just such an occasion, but lets be honest with ourselves, "bigger" in this case is 27 cubic inches. Pig in a blanket territory.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you watched this dillhole then you get what you paid for (which was free-99). His "assessment" is pure garbage.

Your argument is that every single 4-cylinder car in the world performs exactly the same. And that every V6 in the world performs exactly the same. And that you can compare ANY I4 against ANY V6 and have apples to apples comparison.

I cannot stress enough how deeply flawed this logic is.
FWIW, the fastest 4 cylinder car in the world just ran a 6.078 quarter mile time at 229 mph.

Now compare that to a Saturn Vue with V6. Should be apples to apples, according to your logic.
My argument was the stock 6-cylinder is likely an upgrade over the stock 4-cylinder and compared my SUV’s 6 to my rental SUV’s 4 by stating it was noticeably underpowered at a specific task.

but thank you for selling me a Toyota Corolla engine...?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My argument was the stock 6-cylinder is likely an upgrade over the stock 4-cylinder and compared my SUV’s 6 to my rental SUV’s 4 by stating it was noticeably underpowered at a specific task.

but thank you for selling me a Toyota Corolla engine...?
I don't have the patience to sort through that hacks videos to post the specific one where he said all turbocharged engines are garbage because they break down faster than NA.....
Turbo diesels have a few things to say to him, and millions of forced induction gasoline engines.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Everyone has their reasons for what they want ,thats why they make so many different combos pick what you can afford and what works for YOU.
That said autos suck ass and ill be dammed if im buying a new truck with a slushbox no soul red oil bleeder ! ! !mansquatch tattoo coming next.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have the patience to sort through that hacks videos to post the specific one where he said all turbocharged engines are garbage because they break down faster than NA.....
Turbo diesels have a few things to say to him, and millions of forced induction gasoline engines.
It’s all good... he may have a point about some engines that have turbos aren’t quite up to snuff with others, but one of the factors I like about these eco-boost engines is the fact they were designed from the ground up AS a Turbocharged Engine and not merely an existing engine fitted with a Turbo.

... or so I’ve read

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent point. Straight to the point and I believe it addresses our need to show we are not millennials :) I still have manuals at home from Audi to Triumph. I think I am going with the 2.7 and Auto.

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 TR6-2

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 TR6-2
Off topic, but what's that color on your Triumph?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s all good... he may have a point about some engines that have turbos aren’t quite up to snuff with others, but one of the factors I like about these eco-boost engines is the fact they were designed from the ground up AS a Turbocharged Engine and not merely an existing engine fitted with a Turbo.

... or so I’ve read
There is an argument to be made that the 2.3 architecture started in 1974 with the OHC Pinto motors (LL23 block). This gives it 46 years of process development and improvements as technology developed and different injection formats came to market. The high pressure fuel pump on the current 2.3 direct injection being the only major thorn in it's side for Ford with fuel dilution issues and people having better luck to ventilate the crank case slightly via catch can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is an argument to be made that the 2.3 architecture started in 1974 with the OHC Pinto motors (LL23 block). This gives it 46 years of process development and improvements as technology developed and different injection formats came to market. The high pressure fuel pump on the current 2.3 direct injection being the only major thorn in it's side for Ford with fuel dilution issues and people having better luck to ventilate the crank case slightly via catch can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine
Had a pinto engine in a formula v car once ,it would not die!
Sponsored