Premium fuel!

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On my Ranger (2.3) I can't notice the difference in power between the two grades. I only put premium in when I plan to tow long distances.
There are some on Ranger5g that say they can notice a difference, but a lot say they can't.
Based on the posted dyno graph, the 2.7 shows a larger increase in power than the 2.3, so maybe with that motor you'll notice the difference. But even on 87, the 2.3 is impressive and the 2.7 is going to be a beast!
Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very small gains to be made using Premium fuel. F-150 with 3.5L Ecoboost in this testing showed 5-7% gain in gas mileage, but only 2-4% gain in HP. Do those gains justify the $.60 cent per gallon cost? Thats up to you...
Now if you are running a specific aftermarket tune, that changes everything, this testing is for stock vehicles.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where do you get ethanol free premium? None in Laredo.
Ethanol free gas is easier to find at rural/small town stations.

Ethanol is hell on small engines, and old farm equipment. Pretty much anything with a carburetor that might sit for a while between uses. After the gas evaporates the ethanol lingers around and gets gummy.

Anyway, for that reason you'll see it in places you might not expect.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ethanol free gas is easier to find at rural/small town stations.

Ethanol is hell on small engines, and old farm equipment. Pretty much anything with a carburetor that might sit for a while between uses. After the gas evaporates the ethanol lingers around and gets gummy.

Anyway, for that reason you'll see it in places you might not expect.
And EB's. I try to use ethanol free gas with mine when I can get to those stations.

BroncoBell

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We have much better BBQ in Corpus than Rudy's. Rudys is more like the fast food of BBQ here. But I'm not judging...it's where you live on what choices you have.
I kind of get it but not really. Fast food BBQ is more like Dickies and Bill Miller's. First time I ever heard Rudy's called a fast food... not mad, just processing the thought. Even though it's a chain, which isn't the same, I say they're on par with Blanco BBQ (San Antonio), Coopers (New Braunfels), or Buzzies (Kerrville).

Where's your favorite BBQ place? I'm a huge fan of Joe's up in Kansas City, Kansas.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the Ford Bronco website, i saw today that the Bronco boasted best in class power for the 2.3 and 2.7 liter engines with an asterisk that denoted premium fuel required. Im pretty sure i saw that regular fuel was recommended but what power loss will we see if we dont use premium?
All EB Ford engines are like this. They adapt to the fuel used. If you wanna use 89 octane dishwater, fine... It'll be ( unnoticeable) less power and slightly less mileage... But if you wanna play $ to miles travelled, it's likely a wash compared to premium.

OP
OP

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All EB Ford engines are like this. They adapt to the fuel used. If you wanna use 89 octane dishwater, fine... It'll be ( unnoticeable) less power and slightly less mileage... But if you wanna play $ to miles travelled, it's likely a wash compared to premium.
Thank you for the info.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Costco premium is my plan - if the extra 20 cents has any noticeable difference on power or MPGs (it does not on my JLU 3.6L - but does on my 5.7L HEMI and wife's crossover) I will have no hesitation paying it. Anything to up the 'smiles per miles' is worth it.
That's because your 3.6 is an 87 only motor and the hemi is a 89 or 91 ( depending on stick or auto ) Premium is wasted on the Jeep, unless it's tuned.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's because your 3.6 is an 87 only motor and the hemi is a 89 or 91 ( depending on stick or auto ) Premium is wasted on the Jeep, unless it's tuned.
Thanks for stating the obvious... was just saying to use higher octane fuel when it makes a difference.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for stating the obvious... was just saying to use higher octane fuel when it makes a difference.
Excuse me for trying to explain why there was no improvement. Don't make statements that would give you such replies then.

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
87 is perfectly fine for low compression engines. turbos tend to be high compression so premium may provide benefits. Lucky for us the computers can detect early ignition if present and adjust accordingly.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will be running Top Tier (name brand), Premium (91 or higher octane), ethanol-free (E0, PURE GASOLINE) in my Bronco, no matter which engine I end up choosing, as much as feasibly possible. I am in a location where premium, ethanol free is readily available.

Im not looking to pinch pennies, Im looking for peak performance and reliability.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ran 89 octane initially in my past 2017 Fiesta ST. I switched to 93 and could feel a significant difference, increase in power. Although it ran trouble free on either octane. In my 2018 Mustang GT I ran 87 octane and it did not run well. It pinged and it had excessive piston slap. It sounded horrible and the dealer said it was "normal" ticking covered by the TSB. It got so bad I got rid of the car. I hope that either engine in the Bronco will run fine on 87. I don't like paying .60-1.00 more a gallon if I don't have to.

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Serious question, what is the advantage or the point of getting Ethanol free? Only reason I ask is b/c I am from a big farming community and a lot of people push the ethonal.
Sponsored