Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just saw that the fuel door just pops open for free access to the filler neck that lacks a cap.

Would really, really like to see some element of security added here. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.
Sponsored

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My explorer 2015 has this too. Never been an issue but, I've thought about it. Parking at a lot high in the mountains, and backpacking or something coming back 2 days later to an empty tank would suck.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there isn't something from Ford there will be through aftermarket. Might not be what you want to hear... but if it's a problem the aftermarkets pretty good at coming up with a solution.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought modern vehicles had anti siphoning valves in the filler necks. Doesn't stop someone from dumping something into your tank but you won't come back to an empty one.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just saw that the fuel door just pops open for free access to the filler neck that lacks a cap.

Would really, really like to see some element of security added here. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.
Many of these style of pop open fuel doors actually lock with the central locking of the car (sometimes after a while so you can still fuel your car up)... that said, I donā€™t know whether the Bronco will have that feature or not... guess I just kind of assumed they all did?

KFreakin

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Itā€™s locked by proximity key. If doors are ā€œlockedā€ so is the fuel door. Once doors are ā€œunlockedā€ then that allows you to push pop it open. Pretty standard on most vehicles these days.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Itā€™s locked by proximity key. If doors are ā€œlockedā€ so is the fuel door. Once doors are ā€œunlockedā€ then that allows you to push pop it open. Pretty standard on most vehicles these days.
2020 Explorer, with intelligent access, just check the fuel door with vehicle locked and key inside house, opened right up.

2019 GMC Canyon, basic key fob entry..same result

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Why? I'd hate to have a locking key-access fuel door or cap on a keyless/intelligent access/touch start vehicle the last thing I want to have to do is pull the key out of the fob. My 05 Wrangler doesn't even have a fuel door or locking cap on it, my f150 has a button operated fuel door and no fuel cap & my wife's grand Cherokee has a button operated fuel door and no fuel cap. Heck, my camper doesn't have a locking cap for diesel or the fresh water tanks.

I have zero concerns. If someone needs fuel that bad, then have at it. If someone has a psycho ex that will pour contaminants into your tank, then you need more than a locking fuel door or cap.

Sponsored

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
2020 Explorer, with intelligent access, just check the fuel door with vehicle locked and key inside house, opened right up.

How is this considered ok? Anyone could walk right up and easily dump something into your gas tank...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is this considered ok? Anyone could walk right up and easily dump something into your gas tank...
Honestly; I havenā€™t heard about this being a thing that actually happens... so I wouldnā€™t lose any sleep over it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Just went out to my truck and wifeā€™s grand cherokee without their fobs...f150 fuel door opened right up, grand cherokee fuel door is locked and pushing on it does nothing.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I never even considered it being a problem. I honestly never even considered they might lock, but being a 2020 Ford thought I'd check and relay what I found. I've had a 15 Fusion, 18 Edge, and now the 20 Explorer, and I do know they all came with a special funnel for emergency use. Maybe the system is designed to help prevent this kind of vandalism somehow
Sponsored