Sponsored

Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions)

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Looking for some opinions on this one. I WON'T be going off road. My Bronco will see snow, dry pavement, rain and a little bit of mud here and there. The build I'm leaning towards is a Big Bend, V6, 4.27 gears. But I'm also about appearance. Looking to put either 285's or 295's (if I can squeeze them) on her. Will more than likely need to swap the wheels as well for a proper offset, but my question is about tires.

So here's my deal, I come from running BFG Mud Terrains (35's) back in the day. NEVER had an issue with snow, mud or whatever, loved those tires and easily got 35-40k miles out of them no problem.

Currently looking @ Mickey Thompson Baha ATZ P3 & Dick Cepek Fun Country. Not so worried about road noise (especially looking at mud terrains, I know what to expect).

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? If so what are your opinion of them?

Reason for choosing these (2) are looks and cost (generally $250-$260 range for 285's). So if anyone has any other thoughts, I'm listening. Could still opt for the BFG's, but I'd be looking $300+/tire for the KM3's.
Sponsored

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I say stick with BFG! I've never run the KM3, but KO2's are the perfect balance of on and off-road capability - relatively quiet on the road for an A/T, but aggressive tread and good grip off-road.

I sometimes drive on questionable unpaved roads near my home where there is an overabundance of nails, metal shavings, and other road nasties. Mickey's are great too, but life experience & chance has made me a loyal BFG customer.

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Michelin LTX M/S
You're killing me man... No to car tires... The aggressive look is what I want..

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 1605022874826
Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 1605022927575

Something like the BFG KM3's. Or the other 2 mentioned above. I've had plenty of BFG MT's that saw more snow than mud. And I feel a truck/suv should look like a truck, car tires don't cut it, nor does running big tires on huge rims ?

Ford Bronco Mickey Thompson vs. Dick Cepek (looking for opinions) 1605022769424

If me and @MaverickMan had it our way, we'd be running Swampers on 15" wheels ? but I'll skip the swampers this time for my on-road driving.

Monster79

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Stang, 07'F150, 23',96',93',79'Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had KM1, KM2, and the KM3 on my rigs and loved everyone of them, I'm currently on a set of Federal Couragia and they are a surprisingly nice tire, not the best but not bad for the cost. With saying that I am going to swap over to the Falken Wildpeaks when the Federals bite the dust. Also have you looked at the Patriot tires?

Sponsored

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look at the Nitto ridge grappler and the Cooper discovery st

I have some older Coopers on my 250 and have the most miles and least punctures of any of the competitors I've tried

Not the best wet

The nitto's are spoke well of with my friends and are on my next tire list

Can't go wrong with the look of Mickey's but don't know about the mileage

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've ran the Cepek's, liked them, not the best on longevity vs. others I have had.
Pro-Comp MT are mean looking, softer compound, wear kinda fast as well.
For the $ I would go KM3 and not look back.
I am a big fan of the Wildpeaks, been through a few sets of them, generally get 30-40k miles out of them and I don't rotate them as I should.
Haven't tried the M/T yet. If they wear anything like boggers or Thornbirds (nasty looking tire but absolutely suck in wet sticky mud and snow) I'll pass.

Mr Big

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep LJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t go wrong with BFGs.

My go to for a few years now has been Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. I’m probably going to get rid of the Goodyears and switch to the STT Pros.

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Look at the Nitto ridge grappler

Not the best wet

The nitto's are spoke well of with my friends and are on my next tire list
Currently running 285 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the wife's Jeep, and to be honest, I'm not impressed with them. They feel slippery on wet roads, kind of like I always felt the Goodyear tires have (not sure of recent Goodyears though). I like the look of them, but so far not the performance.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly, my plan is to get the base Bronco and upgrade the tires and wheels myself. Seeing as how I will have just dropped about $40K, I'm probably going with the best tires that are currently on sale/promo tbh.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'd consider Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love my ridge grapplers on my rubicon. So much quieter than my BFG MT I replaced and look better than most MT in my opinion. Just a slightly tighter tread which helps a ton with noise. 37x12.5 ridge grapplers are what I'm planning on my badlands

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You're killing me man... No to car tires... The aggressive look is what I want..

Something like the BFG KM3's. Or the other 2 mentioned above. I've had plenty of BFG MT's that saw more snow than mud. And I feel a truck/suv should look like a truck, car tires don't cut it, nor does running big tires on huge rims ?

If me and @MaverickMan had it our way, we'd be running Swampers on 15" wheels ? but I'll skip the swampers this time for my on-road driving.
Hey man it's right there in the name, it's a Light Truck tire :ROFLMAO:

It's for people who use their trucks lightly ?

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good to know on the Nitto's

If you really want to stand out they have brought back the Gateway Buckshots .......no need to balance

It's funny to read the disclaimer tho , they never said that in the 80's

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love my ridge grapplers on my rubicon. So much quieter than my BFG MT I replaced and look better than most MT in my opinion. Just a slightly tighter tread which helps a ton with noise. 37x12.5 ridge grapplers are what I'm planning on my badlands
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Grapplers and yes quieter than a BFG Mud Terrain for sure. But too many times I've noticed slippage on wet roads, and that I'm not liking. Especially since I drive ALL my vehicles like I drive my Mustang. Quick acceleration, and I fly through turns. I'm worried I'll be spinning them more than anything on the Bronco.

BFG's never failed me, I'm just looking to save $30-$50/tire.
Sponsored