Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2012 f250 with 6.7 diesel and it has a plastic oil pan. Todate I have not had any issue with it leaking warping or any of the issues that people are concerned about a plastic oil.
Strange as mine is metal.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
true but ford never officially said why. I know you from the raptor forum. There is a mechanic on that raptor forum that have posted many times the failure was due to the improper use of an adhesive during assembly. Perhaps ford determined that over time more and more failures would occur so they made the switch to a metal oil pan.

anyway... I am happy that I purchased a 2019 with a metal oil pan

Because they became a warranty issue, not uncommon for Raptors to have the plastic pan fail, mine hasn't, yet.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
f150s with the 3.5 produced after feb 26 2018 has a metal oil pan.

The plastic oil pan is prone to leaking. The 2017 and early 2018 build Raptors have the “composite” oil pan. Ford changed to a metal oil pan in the Raptor late build 2018’s and beyond.

My Raptor is an early 2018 build. So far it hasn’t leak, but it’s probably just a matter of time.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My tundra 5.8 had a plastic screw on canister type oil filter? doing an oil change i was tighting it and it cracked off i go to the dealer on a sunday? yes sir your lucky i have 1 in stock it will be 250.00 ?
I found an aluminum one on ebay for a lexus for 45.00 i hate plastic parts its bad enough the radiator tanks are plastic.
Im sure the threads in the pan are going to be brass of aluminum but im changing out mine if possible

Sponsored

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question for the more sophisticated engine mechanics on this string. Any word on whether additional upgrades or changes are being made to the Gen2 version of the 2.7L for the 2021 model years. Seems like 2-3 years of use might give Ford additional input on where improvements will benefit the engine.

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I follow the F150 forum and my impression is the 2.7 is one of the best motors Ford has produced in recent years. Way less issues compared to the 5.0 and slightly less issues than the 3.5EB. There are reports of 2.7s with over 200k miles with no issues.
My truck has a metal pan and Ford is great for others with composite pan with replacement either metal or composite redesigned units.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I follow the F150 forum and my impression is the 2.7 is one of the best motors Ford has produced in recent years. Way less issues compared to the 5.0 and slightly less issues than the 3.5EB. There are reports of 2.7s with over 200k miles with no issues.
My truck has a metal pan and Ford is great for others with composite pan with replacement either metal or composite redesigned units.
It would make sense, since the 2.7 is one of few “clean sheet” designs Ford has. The 3.5, while a good engine, dates back to the 90’s at its core. The 2.7 was 100% designed from the ground up as a turbo engine, and I think that shows in how much people love it. I have browsed the f-150 forums occasionally as well since the 2.7 was rumored, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard something negative about it. Just seems like a solid power plant, and I’m sure it will be an absolute beast in the Bronco even in stock form. Modded out it will be crazy.

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Water cooled exhaust manifolds? What's the reasoning for those?.... I'd figure more heat for the turbos would be beneficial. Unless they do it for durability reasons.
I'm not crazy about the Integrated Front Cover... is the water pump replaceable? Hope I don't have to deal with crazy maint costs 20 years from now.
Anybody know what boost levels these run at? Think I saw 15-ish. Wonder how much they can take.
If it last 20 years and you have keep it that long then I would say that's damn pretty good for reliable as it would be same again before replaceing it again

Sponsored

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it last 20 years and you have keep it that long then I would say that's damn pretty good for reliable as it would be same again before replacein
If it last 20 years and you have keep it that long then I would say that's damn pretty good for reliable as it would be same again before replaceing it again
I am pretty sure the waterpump will be replaceble although that would not be cheap to do depending on who does it but they do normally last a good while .

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That composite plastic pan may actually be more durable than a pressed, sheet aluminum pan.
It may be? I've heard good and bad. But it's concerning that Ford replaced the composite oil pans on newer model trucks, according to a few posts I've read here on 6g. I need to do more research before I make a decision about whether I'll keep the pan, or plan on replacing it in a few years.
Sponsored