Sponsored

Test Drove 2.3L Ranger & 2.7L in F150 and was disappointed... Options to improve off the line?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A quick google search shows that there are a number of ways to completely disable it. I'm not familiar enough with Fords to know if they have, or the Bronco will have, a button to shut it off or not.
They have a button to turn the stop/start off, but you have to hit it every time you start. They do sell a device for about $100 to either over ride it or allow it to operate as intended.
As far as the 2.7, I think it's tuned differently for each application. In my Edge ST, it's tuned to 335HP and and 380 lb torque. I don't notice any appreciable lag as I recall in some of the 3.5's I've owned.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have a button to turn the stop/start off, but you have to hit it every time you start. They do sell a device for about $100 to either over ride it or allow it to operate as intended.
As far as the 2.7, I think it's tuned differently for each application. In my Edge ST, it's tuned to 335HP and and 380 lb torque. I don't notice any appreciable lag as I recall in some of the 3.5's I've owned.
That’s my experience with the 2.7 vs. 3.5 as well. The 3.5 may just have more “hit” and Turbo “sound” but it seemed to build a bit slower than my 2.7. The 3.5 does seem to pull harder in the mid and top end (again probably more all
over the rpm range, just so much perceived thrust higher up).

BucWld

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First of all I promise I am not a troll. If you see my posts they are just like everyone else's. Excited about the new Bronco and am willing to still get it on day 1 even though I wish some of the options were more available (mostly MIC Top and interior choice concerns). But I am new to Ford and have no idea about the performance of the 2.3 or 2.7L engines (or Ford Performance in general). Even though I am already 99% sure I will opt the 2.7L, I wanted to atleast get a feel between the two choices by back to back test driving. My Dealer was kind enough to let me do so last night by test driving a new Ranger w/ 2.3 and F150 w/ 2.7L. Disclaimer: I do not expect the Bronco to be a race car but would like to have above average power/acceleration to get in and out of traffic (I live off a freeway where I have to pull out in front of cars going 60 to 70 mph every day). However, I do like spirited driving as well and always opt my vehicles with the most power available. For comparison I do have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the optional 5.7L Hemi as well as a BMW M4, the latter of which is also a twin turbo I6. I do not expect the Bronco to be up there with them. I am sure after a couple of years Bronco will have power options closer to what the more established GC offers while M cars are for performance and not offroading.

Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I could test. I would hope the Bronco would be slightly better due to weighing less than F150?? Where I was very disappointed was the low end from simply flooring it from a dead spot. It seemed to take forever to get going with what even felt like a delay. Even the sales guy admitted that Ford's turbos have some significant turbo lag. The naturally aspirated hemi powered GC can easily throw your head back from a stop position. My twin turbo BMW obviously can and with no turbo lag. I recall when BMW put out their twin turbo engines 15 years ago there was so much pushback about worry from turbo lag. But that went away once enthusiasts realized they did a great job to eliminate lag. I previously had a lower model BMW (335) that also had a twin turbo I6 and never experienced any real lag. To be honest, I didn't even know what turbo lag felt like but think I just did last night. Is Ford simply behind in turbo engines?

One thing I am wondering about that could have made the issue worse is that awful feature of engine cut off at stop. Both my Jeep and BMW have that but you can turn that off in the settings (which I did on Day 1). The sales person said that you can't disengage that in the Ford models!!! Could that be true?? I will have to look into a tune/reprogramming to get that removed ASAP.

Sorry about long post but I really just want to know from Ford Enthusiasts if this slow to takeoff issue can be overcome? Perhaps I can feather the gas instead of just mashing the accelerator. I only drove it for 10 mins so really didn't have enough time to play around with acceleration technique. I am also hoping a new tune could remove that lag as well. Is there hope for such improvements?
I feel that we may have similar tastes in acceleration. I own a 2016 F-150 with the 2.7, and I like it quite a lot. My wife drives an Audi S6 with a Stage 2 tune, because it’s secretly my play car, so I definitely know fast from not. It runs low 3’s to 60, and low to mid 11’s in the 1/4. Honestly, it’s almost too excessive for daily driving because it’s hard not to get into it. It makes you want to go dangerously fast.

Last week I test drove a new 4Runner, and in my humble opinion it was a joke. Next I drove a Lexus GX460, smoother and more refined, but still a joke. Both were unrefined dogs, with very uninspiring driving characteristics. Granted they are both decade old Toyota platforms nearing redesigns. Neither had absolutely any fun factor to them whatsoever. People truly buy them because they last forever, and that’s it, and of course their resale value. Then I drove a BMW X5 40i. Every YouTube video I’ve watched said it’s plenty fast for 99% of people. Well I must be that one percent, because I though it was a dog too. I was cross shopping those with the Bronco.

I got back in my truck and was happy to know that the Bronco is definitely the right choice for me. It’s probably not going to be fast, nor feel fast, especially off the line, but I’m really looking for passing power, without having to mash the pedal to do it, which the twin turbo design can do. I get left by 60 some odd year old ladies from stop light to stop light 90 percent of the time. We are sitting beside each other at the next light 10 seconds later. My point is that once they are up and moving I think they are quite potent, enough so that I haven’t tuned my truck in almost 5 years and 97,xxx miles of ownership. Do I want more? Yes. Is it just enough 95% of the time? Yes. I think the 2.7 will grow on you.
I think the driving dynamics of the Bronco will be enough to keep a smile on my face as well. Best of luck with your choice.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got to thinking. When they drove and parked the Overland build at the Celebration East, it didn't start/stop as they were moving it around. They came to full stop a few times.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Ford torque strategies are why you feel a "delay", not turbo lag. Tuning will fix this. We can easily turn auto start/stop off for $50 with Forscan.

Sponsored
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First of all I promise I am not a troll. If you see my posts they are just like everyone else's. Excited about the new Bronco and am willing to still get it on day 1 even though I wish some of the options were more available (mostly MIC Top and interior choice concerns). But I am new to Ford and have no idea about the performance of the 2.3 or 2.7L engines (or Ford Performance in general). Even though I am already 99% sure I will opt the 2.7L, I wanted to atleast get a feel between the two choices by back to back test driving. My Dealer was kind enough to let me do so last night by test driving a new Ranger w/ 2.3 and F150 w/ 2.7L. Disclaimer: I do not expect the Bronco to be a race car but would like to have above average power/acceleration to get in and out of traffic (I live off a freeway where I have to pull out in front of cars going 60 to 70 mph every day). However, I do like spirited driving as well and always opt my vehicles with the most power available. For comparison I do have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the optional 5.7L Hemi as well as a BMW M4, the latter of which is also a twin turbo I6. I do not expect the Bronco to be up there with them. I am sure after a couple of years Bronco will have power options closer to what the more established GC offers while M cars are for performance and not offroading.

Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I could test. I would hope the Bronco would be slightly better due to weighing less than F150?? Where I was very disappointed was the low end from simply flooring it from a dead spot. It seemed to take forever to get going with what even felt like a delay. Even the sales guy admitted that Ford's turbos have some significant turbo lag. The naturally aspirated hemi powered GC can easily throw your head back from a stop position. My twin turbo BMW obviously can and with no turbo lag. I recall when BMW put out their twin turbo engines 15 years ago there was so much pushback about worry from turbo lag. But that went away once enthusiasts realized they did a great job to eliminate lag. I previously had a lower model BMW (335) that also had a twin turbo I6 and never experienced any real lag. To be honest, I didn't even know what turbo lag felt like but think I just did last night. Is Ford simply behind in turbo engines?

One thing I am wondering about that could have made the issue worse is that awful feature of engine cut off at stop. Both my Jeep and BMW have that but you can turn that off in the settings (which I did on Day 1). The sales person said that you can't disengage that in the Ford models!!! Could that be true?? I will have to look into a tune/reprogramming to get that removed ASAP.

Sorry about long post but I really just want to know from Ford Enthusiasts if this slow to takeoff issue can be overcome? Perhaps I can feather the gas instead of just mashing the accelerator. I only drove it for 10 mins so really didn't have enough time to play around with acceleration technique. I am also hoping a new tune could remove that lag as well. Is there hope for such improvements?
The problem is your use to very small light and fast sports cars, you won't get that pick up and go from the start that you are looking for with a bronco, and I will have to check but I dont think the bronco is that much lighter then a f150 so it won't be much different im afraid, they are making these more for off-road then power performance. But if you want the better pick up definitely don't go with the squatch and 35's because it will make it even slower when it comes to the pick up speed, and then add some performance packs that alot of aftermarket places will offer and with these engines a couple thousand dollars will get you close to 100 hp and that will help with what you are looking for.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

which transmission was it that makes a huge difference, if you drive the 2.7 in a truck or car with the old 6 speed the performance is way worse than with the 10

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The ranger goes 0-60 between 6.1 and 6.5 seconds (depending on configuration) with the 2.3L. I’d say that’s pretty fast for a truck.

my explorer with the same engine does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. I live next to a toll road where the speed limit is 85 mph. I’ve never had a problem entering the toll or passing people at 90-100mph in it. I’d guess the 2.3 will be adequate for 90% of bronco buyers.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Ford torque strategies are why you feel a "delay", not turbo lag. Tuning will fix this. We can easily turn auto start/stop off for $50 with Forscan.
I'm definitely interested.

As a side note, what idiot at ford decided to call the system for programming Forescan? Way too much room for jokes there.

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just want to say that the Auto Start / Stop (ASS, hehe) can be eliminated with Forscan. Unplugging things isn’t really the best way to go, depending on which vehicle and trim level you’re dealing with. For example, on the Expedition, unplugging the connector to disable ASS, you will also lose your reverse sensors and kick motion activated tailgate sensor. If you unplug the connector up by the battery, you will lose remote start and one other thing that I’m not thinking of Off the top of my head.

I bought the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator, which is a little module that you have to take your dash apart to install. It turns the ASS button into a permanent toggle. ...Helped someone install it in theirs and it works great. Mine is still on the shelf because I opted to do a tune on it and with the tune/ Forscan, the auto start stop can be altered. Apparently when the shop did the tune they just flipped the default value so it’s off by default.

Under normal operation, it can be turned on or off. And it’s forced off by using sport mode. Unfortunately, the drive modes and ASS always go back to their default settings when you park and turn off the vehicle.

I’ve been told that they have to put everything back to default because of various emissions and NTSB/ NHTSA requirements. And yet, I own or have owned vehicles from other manufacturers or have driven others that do not go back to defaults. My 2017 Mini Clubman has auto start stop. If I turn it off, it’s off until I turn it back on. Or off forever if I decide not to turn it back on. So I don’t know why Ford always defaults their stuff back when the car is turned off. Would be nice at times to set the snow/ice drive mode and let it stay there until I decide I no longer want it, instead of having to re enable that mode every time.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm definitely interested.

As a side note, what idiot at ford decided to call the system for programming Forescan? Way too much room for jokes there.
Forscan was born from genius computer hackers, it's not an official Ford program. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it. Typing Forscan with autocorrect could be risky....

MannyFrescoSC

Badlands
First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Honda Accord, 18’ Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have owned an focus st with a 2.0 eco-boost and I am a fan of the engines. When I found out that the bronco was getting an ecoboost, I was sold on it. The factory tune is likely not tuned for performance. I’m excited to see what 5 star or Cobb will bring to the table as far as tunes go.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hear a 5 dollar trailer plus disables the start and stop mode . But can mess with the oil change interval display .

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you live in a hot state, just turn max AC on. The auto start stop won’t engage as long as it’s on.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Test Drove 2.3L Ranger & 2.7L in F150 and was disappointed... Options to improve off the line? 1605543241595

this pic shows the stop/start shut off. It’s the little A with the circle around it. So no worries on the automatic shut off, you’ll be able to turn it off when you want to. ??
Sponsored