Sponsored

LAST CALL: Roof Rails for 2-door Bronco? Pros vs. Cons? After Market?

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally feel like I am 95% there in regards to what I want and how I want it. Here is a topic that I go back and forth with: Roof Rails or not?

I know it is a personal choice and here is my thoughts regarding it based on my needs.

Pros:
1. More storage area
2. Back big items
3. Looks Cool
4. Under $400 (Not bad)

Cons:
1. Not as easy to take WHOLE TOP OFF (Love open Air!!)
2. Pulling The Bronco already with RV (More weight)
3. Really no need since I have room in my RV to store.

Are you getting them? Why or Why not?

Do you think it will be easy to take off?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm not, looks easy enough to add one later if needed but have never used the one on my FJ for more than a hand hold to wash the roof so my opinion might not sway you.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I finally feel like I am 95% there in regards to what I want and how I want it. Here is a topic that I go back and forth with: Roof Rails or not?

I know it is a personal choice and here is my thoughts regarding it based on my needs.

Pros:
1. More storage area
2. Back big items
3. Looks Cool
4. Under $400 (Not bad)

Cons:

Thanks!
I think $400 for something totally integrated into the vehicle design is a good value. Aftermarket stuff will be available, but nothing will fit like the factory rails and they are adaptable to aftermarket accessories , carriers, baskets etc. Really my only must have accessory, anything else I can probably add aftermarket cheaper.

ace119

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been having the same debate. I will probably go aftermarket because I want a smaller roof rack & basket that will only be attached to the rear part of the hard top (2 door). There's a 2 door Rubicon near me that has a similar setup, I like how it allows for easier removal of the front panels and the whole roof.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am going to wait and see what the deal is with the shorter OBX fishing concept rack first. I like the shorter design but have some questions. How much does it hold? Will it integrate with the larger rack to span the whole hard top? I'll just add these questions to the pile.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Pros:
1. More storage area
2. Back big items
3. Looks Cool
4. Under $400 (Not bad)

Cons:

Thanks!
What I find on my Jeep is, when I need to carry extra stuff, I generally don't need the top of, and vice versa. So the Kargo Master Congo Cage hangs from the garage ceiling most of the time. I have propped it up on the trail to drop the top, but it is an inconvenient extra step.

On the Bronco, the set up is $400 which is reasonable, and is easy to remove and install. And I won't need to hang it from the ceiling. Theoretically you could take it off at basecamp, and stow it out of site in a tent or ultralight trailer. So good to go.

i.e., what rack system are you going to get that won't be a PITA when you want to remove the roof? (From experience a cage is a PITA too.)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am going to wait and see what the deal is with the shorter OBX fishing concept rack first. I like the shorter design but have some questions. How much does it hold? Will it integrate with the larger rack to span the whole hard top? I'll just add these questions to the pile.
Ford has said the shorter rack on the fishing concept was a one-off and won’t be available for sale.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While the price is reasonable I won't be getting them. Besides, It will just give my gf an excuse to bring more junk when we go away!

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford has said the shorter rack on the fishing concept was a one-off and won’t be available for sale.
Thinking about this over enchiladas tonight...I was wondering if it's possible to DIY the short rack. You'd need two racks, or at least two rear horizontal bars, but it would be do-able. Maybe not very feasible.

I'd be willing to try it.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Every one we've seen has two sets of notches. How it all functions, I don't know, but I imagine you can hook into both.
Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Roof Rails for 2-door Bronco? Pros vs. Cons? After Market? Screenshot_2020-11-17 More Preproduction Broncos Completed -- Area 51 Wildtrak, Race Red Badla

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thinking about this over enchiladas tonight...I was wondering if it's possible to DIY the short rack. You'd need two racks, or at least two rear horizontal bars, but it would be do-able. Maybe not very feasible.

I'd be willing to try it.
It’s all going to come down to the attachment method. With just the rear rack those points have to be strong enough to resist the upward pressure of the wind trying to pry it off, without the advantage of the front attachment points acting as a lever to hold it down.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Every one we've seen has two sets of notches. How it all functions, I don't know, but I imagine you can hook into both.
Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Roof Rails for 2-door Bronco? Pros vs. Cons? After Market? Screenshot_2020-11-17 More Preproduction Broncos Completed -- Area 51 Wildtrak, Race Red Badla
that's a four door - the discussion started on the two door, on which I am not seeing that front mount notch:

Ford Bronco LAST CALL: Roof Rails for 2-door Bronco? Pros vs. Cons? After Market? IMG_7145

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s all going to come down to the attachment method. With just the rear rack those points have to be strong enough to resist the upward pressure of the wind trying to pry it off, without the advantage of the front attachment points acting as a lever to hold it down.
Maybe this will be one of the 200 accessories.
Sponsored