Sponsored

LAST CALL: Roof Rails for 2-door Bronco? Pros vs. Cons? After Market?

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm leaning towards them, it's nice to have an extra storage option when your kids are annoying you. A few bungee cords later, you won't hear those damn kids over the radio anymore.
Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm probably getting them. I want to do more road trips and exploring next year and want a rooftop tent

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mike,

Thanks. Your help is indispensable. Keep up the good work. ;)

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will get them for my 2 door. Factory option and not too much $$$ extra on initial purchase. I need for kayak/fishing rod racks, but will likely have the top completely off most of the time at least when I first get it

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it possible to delay the decision> These will surely be available via the Ford parts store. How does the price of accessories like this from the factory typically compare with buying as a part later on? If comparable, you could wait until you need them and then have the choice of aftermarket or Ford parts.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I plan to get them. I require the extra cargo space when on adventures. Especially on the 2 door.

I paid more money for after market Yakima racks in the past for different vehicles. The aftermarket racks were not integrated but they used a clamping system that made them easy to remove.

I say, get them if you will use them. I will be.
Yeah, I seem to go through the same mental gymnastics every time I buy a car. “That seems expensive. Those extra crossbars carry how much load? I’ll just get what I need from Yakima ...”

Only to find out I need a whole different base system and adapters which cost more than the factory rack system.

This time I am going factory. I can put a skybox or my Yakima wire basket up there when I need too from day one, and easily remove the whole thing when I don’t.

The question I have is what is the difference between the additional cost Yakima cross bars and the factory system cross bars.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not, looks easy enough to add one later if needed but have never used the one on my FJ for more than a hand hold to wash the roof so my opinion might not sway you.
I bought a 4 Runner new, had roof racks put on, owned it for 7 years and never once used the rack.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a 4 Runner new, had roof racks put on, owned it for 7 years and never once used the rack.
Steven,

You too are not helping my cause. If you even think that you need it, get it and forget it. The top from a '72 that I put on my '70 came with rails on the roof and I used them every time I needed to put something up there that did not fit inside. Functionality over frivolity.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it possible to delay the decision> These will surely be available via the Ford parts store. How does the price of accessories like this from the factory typically compare with buying as a part later on? If comparable, you could wait until you need them and then have the choice of aftermarket or Ford parts.
It depends on your dealer. With no special pricing, you will pay MSRP. With Granger for example, all factory accessories are at invoice. Of course, paying for a factory accessory isn't just a single one-time purchase. You will be paying for it over the life of the financing including interest. So if you are financing for 60 months, any cost savings of invoice pricing is negated with the additional interest over 5 years.

Or you can add them later and shop around for the best deal. (i.e. @NayNay with Leonardtown has said they offer a 15% discount to veterans on accessories) You pay one price with no additional interest. In the case of the roof rails, you will have to know how to take them off at some point so you might as well learn how to put them on. No need to pay a dealer to the work.

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think $400 for something totally integrated into the vehicle design is a good value. Aftermarket stuff will be available, but nothing will fit like the factory rails and they are adaptable to aftermarket accessories , carriers, baskets etc. Really my only must have accessory, anything else I can probably add aftermarket cheaper.
Any confirmation that we can add it at the time of order as an accessory since you can't add it to a 2.7 in B&P? Same with the brush guard. I'm sure its discussed somewhere

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Steven,

You too are not helping my cause. If you even think that you need it, get it and forget it. The top from a '72 that I put on my '70 came with rails on the roof and I used them every time I needed to put something up there that did not fit inside. Functionality over frivolity.
What is your 'cause' that I'm not helping? Do you sell roof racks? ? I'm just relating my own personal experience. If you find roof racks helpful, by all means get one!

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finally feel like I am 95% there in regards to what I want and how I want it. Here is a topic that I go back and forth with: Roof Rails or not?

I know it is a personal choice and here is my thoughts regarding it based on my needs.

Pros:
1. More storage area
2. Back big items
3. Looks Cool
4. Under $400 (Not bad)

Cons:
1. Not as easy to take WHOLE TOP OFF (Love open Air!!)
2. Pulling The Bronco already with RV (More weight)
3. Really no need since I have room in my RV to store.

Are you getting them? Why or Why not?

Do you think it will be easy to take off?

Thanks!
Im with you, wondering also if there is a better aftermarket option as well. I would be using mine for a roof top tent and storage

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Will definitely be getting the rails on our 2 door. We haul kayaks and/or mountain bikes with our 4Runner, my biggest concern will still revolve around just fitting everything we haul in the vehicle. Will likely pull one rear seat permanently, to make the room for the fridge and gear, and use a hitch mounted cargo carrier for anything we cant fit inside for the longer trips with the kayaks. Depending on what comes out that mounts to the spare tire or rear bumper swing out. For $400 its definitely worth just getting it now.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mike,

Just trying some levity here since everyone seems kind of uptight over the new Bronco. We all need to take a step back and laugh at ourselves. Also not a vendor. Just a guy that believes if you even think you need it, get it or kick yourself when you need it and don't have it. Nuff said. :cool:

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am making sure that my snarky remarks don't get anyone's hackles up. Thanks. All in fun over here on Bronco6G. (y)
Sponsored