Black Diamond vs Badlands

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm looking at a Squatched BD vs. a Squatched Badlands, and trying to figure out what benefits the Badlands really come with. Will the suspension be identical between them due to Sasquatch, or will the Badlands still have fancier suspension? If I go this route, all other things being equal, a Black Daimond is ~$4K cheaper. Would the sway bar disconnect be the only real difference between the two if they are otherwise equally spec'd out?
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Swaybar disconnect on the BL . You will also have one less Hero switch on the BD dash .

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Appears to be the same except more items are baked into BL (such as the signature lighting / headlights and tailights) and the front disconnect you mentioned. It also "unlocks" higher option packages. Otherwise, it's hard to say since there isn't much info available beyond those basic items (e.g. such as if there are still connection points for the dash rail / blank plate for where the USB dash power "would be". It's very hard to know what parts will be swapped out between the two other than those well documented B&P options).

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aside from SB disco/lights, it comes down to the available packages. Some things are reserved for Badlands+ only (High Package for instance if I remember right).

OP
OP
Danger Dan

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did I see in a YT video somewhere that the rails are body mounted instead of frame mounted? If that's the case I'd rather just get aftermarket anyways.

Appears to be the same except more items are baked into BL (such as the signature lighting / headlights and tailights) and the front disconnect you mentioned. It also "unlocks" higher option packages. Otherwise, it's hard to say since there isn't much info available beyond those basic items (e.g. such as if there are still connection points for the dash rail / blank plate for where the USB dash power "would be". It's very hard to know what parts will be swapped out between the two other than those well documented B&P options).
Yeah, the Lux package is tempting, I really like adaptive cruise control when I've used it. I'm just trying to do the math if that sway bar disco is worth an extra few grand, and then if the Lux package is worth a few additional... Because if either of those things aren't true, I've got no reason to spring for BL. I don't care about anything in the high package, so I'm either going mid or going for lux.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other than the price difference, no active grille shutters on the BL.

LimitlessTruth

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Totoya Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands has slightly different GOAT modes, the rock rails aren't clear on BD, sway bar disconnect, LED headlights, options for the higher equipment packages. With Sasquatch I believe the suspension is going to be the same for both BD and BL. The price difference is 2,655 by my calculation.

Also I think Badlands is lowest trim that lets you do Mid-tier package with Manual Transmission, for those that care.

For me I want the higher tier equipment packages than mid, also like the LED headlights.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BL - what others mentioned plus: front locker, 33" tires, bilstein suspension, 4.7 gears, advanced 4x4, sway bar disconnect

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, the Lux package is tempting, I really like adaptive cruise control when I've used it. I'm just trying to do the math if that sway bar disco is worth an extra few grand, and then if the Lux package is worth a few additional... Because if either of those things aren't true, I've got no reason to spring for BL. I don't care about anything in the high package, so I'm either going mid or going for lux.
I was / am in the same boat. I could care less / use the front sway bar or even the lighting. I only wanted the adaptive cruise control. In the end, it would cost over an additional $10k to get BL with Lux vs. BD with Mid, after taxes. So, leaning towards giving up on adaptive - which is a shame. Ford should consider safety functions not be buried in discretionary items and offered to all those that want them, really. Seems like greed>safety and not a very good image, really.

LimitlessTruth

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Totoya Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did I see in a YT video somewhere that the rails are body mounted instead of frame mounted? If that's the case I'd rather just get aftermarket anyways.

Yeah, I believe I saw a YT video walk around that showed the rail mounting and it looked body mounted. These are pre-production so maybe there is still a chance they will do it better but, I'm leaning towards having to redo it aftermarket and having some that could provide a step into the vehicle as well.

The high and lux packages are both pretty tempting. I've seen a lot of people say they want to go High for the 360 camera system. I'm looking at Lux because of the surround sound, heated steering wheel, the USB smart plugs might be nice in the long run, also the wireless charging pad could be nice; on top of the high package additions obviously.

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Signature headlights that don't look cheap
A grille that doesn't look cheap
The dark interior color doesn't make the MGV look cheap
High level instrument panel that doesn't look ... you get where I'm going.

The overall look and feel is more expensive. Plus you'll get better resale value.