Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Looking for some advice deciding hard or soft top. Is there a difference in the body structure between the hard and soft top options? If I order hard can it be changed to soft and vise versa? I notice some preferring soft top especially jeep owners. Is the advantage ease in putting the top up and down? Does this work similar to a typical convertible car? Are there other reasons to consider soft over hard?

Thanks
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Until we see a freakin' video of just what it does and how....we're guessing. For one, you have to decide if you're ok with the gray MIC top or not. I kinda got used to that.....but I really wanted to remove those rear glass panels and have the bikini/safari look much of the time. So that pushed me back to the soft top....but if it isn't made by Best Top...and it's 50/50 on that...it depends on how it works. But if it's not by BT and I don't like it, then what? Spend $700 on a hard top I don't want and then $2k from BT to get one I do want later????

LimitlessTruth

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Totoya Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking for some advice deciding hard or soft top. Is there a difference in the body structure between the hard and soft top options? If I order hard can it be changed to soft and vise versa? I notice some preferring soft top especially jeep owners. Is the advantage ease in putting the top up and down? Does this work similar to a typical convertible car? Are there other reasons to consider soft over hard?

Thanks
I don't think there are any body modifications that occur with going to the hard-top. The hardtop looks more modular and easier to take off a row or two of head panels than the soft top. Full removal I have no idea which would be easier.

For the most part I figured people weren't doing hard-top mostly based on color. Until 2022 MY you can only get the grey MIC top; where as you could get the hard-top later and get white or black (maybe other colors?). I'm going hard-top, the grey is fine with me, looks easy to take off the 2-4 panels (2/4 door) and I figure it is more durable and secured than the soft-top. I've seen people cut their way into vehicles through soft-tops enough times.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@LEGEND said the back lifts up on the soft top and has a prop rod to hold it there while you load gear in. This idea really intrigues me.

Sponsored

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Website says both can be ordered for some trims. Build and price one or the other for some trims.

I'm waiting for an improved build and price before I order....

If it stays as is, I get the mic and Bimini top.

Soft top will be less insulating in the winter I would think.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@LEGEND said the back lifts up on the soft top and has a prop rod to hold it there while you load gear in. This idea really intrigues me.
Saw this earlier on Facebook:

Ford Bronco 4DR, Soft vs Hard top 126314077_10223477110303493_4178801446457996909_n

This is the clearest pic I have seen of the rear lift capability. It appears to still function even in the sun-rider position. While it look goofy, I can tell you this is a nice feature compared to my JKU.

timgarrett

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can switch between the tops. They planned on a dual top option that would sell you the soft and modular hard top at the same time allowing you to switch at home whenever you want.

I really want the body color matching painted modular (that's a mouthful), but since it won't be available until I believe MY 22 I am getting the soft now. Will buy the modular when it is available for purchase later. Just don't want to wait until 2022 for factory installed.

timgarrett

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco 4DR, Soft vs Hard top 126314077_10223477110303493_4178801446457996909_n

This is the clearest pic I have seen of the rear lift capability. It appears to still function even in the sun-rider position. While it look goofy, I can tell you this is a nice feature compared to my JKU.
That can't be good for the plastic side windows...

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
have to see it but i'm a soft top guy- later on might get a painted top

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Am I the only one who would love it if the soft top stowed, strapped on top of the rear cross bar. I always did that with my CJ bikini tops. I would wrap them around the roll bars and put a bungee on it. That way it didnt cut into my 0.5 cu ft of storage ? .

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thats very handy and something that might help me stick with a soft top. Sorry to say this but it makes loading things like groceries much easier. Sometimes I make a run for my wife if she can't, its just life.

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Jackie-Chan-WTF-Meme.png

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thats very handy and something that might help me stick with a soft top. Sorry to say this but it makes loading things like groceries much easier. Sometimes I make a run for my wife if she can't, its just life.
I figure I'll just keep rear window out.... And the sides...
Sponsored