MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some questions on Fog Lights.

1. Are they really worth it? I have never lived in a fog prone area. Never had them. Did run into serious fog in North Carolina trying to go to the top of whatever that mountain is, the tallest one in the eastern USA. Had to turn back. Would it have made a difference?

2. Why for the love of all that’s holy don’t the Black Diamond or Badlands come with fog lights? I tried to add them in B&P with the HD steel bumper and no such luck. Do I have this wrong?
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fog lights are worth it to me. I drive in bad weather a lot here in Michigan and it's nice to have that light down low. Whether it would have cut through the fog enough for you to drive up that mountain, I do not know. Fog lights do work though, or cars would have stopped coming with them.

I started a thread a while back about adding fog lights to the modular bumper and some of the options. You might find some more info you are looking for and maybe some info on things you haven't thought of yet in there.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-fog-lights-modular-front-bumper.5399/

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

1. Are they really worth it? I have never lived in a fog prone area. Never had them. Did run into serious fog in North Carolina trying to go to the top of whatever that mountain is, the tallest one in the eastern USA. Had to turn back. Would it have made a difference?

2. Why for the love of all that’s holy don’t the Black Diamond or Badlands come with fog lights? I tried to add them in B&P with the HD steel bumper and no such luck. Do I have this wrong?

I live in between two lakes and it's very foggy in the mornings. I will say the stock led fogs probably have too cool of a color temperature to be useful. On my F150 they actually make it harder to see as they just illuminate the fog. They are really just for aesthetics as far as I'm concerned.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in between two lakes and it's very foggy in the mornings. I will say the stock led fogs probably have too cool of a color temperature to be useful. On my F150 they actually make it harder to see as they just illuminate the fog. They are really just for aesthetics as far as I'm concerned.
I agree. In fog and snow I've never had stock fog lights do much.

They need to at least be amber, in my opinion, and also positioned correctly.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was thinking of getting the add on lights and using the lower ones as fog lights. But I'd have to be able to manually turn the bottom two on (with automatic switches), while leaving the top ones off.

Idk if I can do that yet. Wish I knew because it determines if I get that heavy duty bumper or not from factory

@Philly do you know?

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking of getting the add on lights and using the lower ones as fog lights. But I'd have to be able to manually turn the bottom two on (with automatic switches), while leaving the top ones off.

Idk if I can do that yet. Wish I knew because it determines if I get that heavy duty bumper or not from factory

@Philly do you know?
So you are planning on mounting the available Rigid pod lights onto the bumper to use as fogs? You can do this, but it looks like Ford wants to mount them on at the A-pillar when you select them in the build and price, so you might have to move them yourself. Also, the lights available from Ford probably do not have the correct beam pattern to be used as fog lights.

Whether you have factory fog lights or go aftermarket, you should be able to turn them on independently. Meaning, the headlights do not need to be on in order for the factory switch to work. Anything wired into one of the upfitter switches will also be able to be used without the headlights being on.

If you meant you are having two sets of lights, one set on the A-pillar and one down on the bumper, they will likely be controlled by separate switches and definitely can be controlled that way if you rewire them or wire them yourself.

Because the Badlands is not available with fog lights, I will be adding a factory foglight switch or using one of the available upfitter switches to control them. I would prefer integration into the factory switch and harness, but I am unsure how difficult it will be to add.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you are planning on mounting the available Rigid pod lights onto the bumper to use as fogs? You can do this, but it looks like Ford wants to mount them on at the A-pillar when you select them in the build and price, so you might have to move them yourself. Also, the lights available from Ford probably do not have the correct beam pattern to be used as fog lights.

Whether you have factory fog lights or go aftermarket, you should be able to turn them on independently. Meaning, the headlights do not need to be on in order for the factory switch to work. Anything wired into one of the upfitter switches will also be able to be used without the headlights being on.

If you meant you are having two sets of lights, one set on the A-pillar and one down on the bumper, they will likely be controlled by separate switches and definitely can be controlled that way if you rewire them or wire them yourself.

Because the Badlands is not available with fog lights, I will be adding a factory foglight switch or using one of the available upfitter switches to control them. I would prefer integration into the factory switch and harness, but I am unsure how difficult it will be to add.
Separate switches. One switch would run your A pillar, spot, lights and the other would allow a relay trip turn on that is triggered by your low mean lights. This second one, would turn on your bumper mounted fogs. Pretty easy actually. Just did that on my Crown Vic.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m gonna get the pod lights with the winch. Can’t get the bumper fog lights with the winch unfortunately. Only one or the other.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m gonna get the pod lights with the winch. Can’t get the bumper fog lights with the winch unfortunately only one or the other.
You should be able to get the "capable bumper" which includes fog lights, and the winch.

Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Driving/Fog lights are extremely valuable if you drive in the dark a lot or through weather. For me they are essential as I'm on the road at 3am and everywhere, 3am is dark.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree. In fog and snow I've never had stock fog lights do much.

They need to at least be amber, in my opinion, and also positioned correctly.
This, X 1000. Also in a fog/snow area. The factory fog lights I've had are a joke. Need to get amber to provide contrast and aimed just below the low beams. Not hard to do, all you need is a wall. Just the opposite for driving lights, Clear/blue aimed just above the high beams. Will be installing both from the aftermarket. Need to figure out what to do with the other auxiliary switches...:unsure: ...

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should be able to get the "capable bumper" which includes fog lights, and the winch.
It won’t let you on the B&P. When you add the winch, it makes you change the capable bumper to the heavy duty modular one without the fog lights.