niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't get how veiled patriotism-signaling has worked itself into this conversation...

Must be a Tennessee thing.
Seems to come outta the woodwork any time the "BUH MUH V8" crowd comes out to play in my experience.

We get it, you want a v8. Buy a RAM or an F150 already lol.

I am just going to go ahead and swap in a 3sgte and watch the world burn.
You're a madman and I'm insanely interested in this hypothetical build
Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems to come outta the woodwork any time the "BUH MUH V8" crowd comes out to play in my experience.

It would be a fun swap, that motor is capable of a lot of power. A 2j would also piss a lot of people off

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Roy from TN is an angry dude. Keeps going on and on about people on the board wanna make loads of power, but when you bring up modifications to get the power, all of a sudden they want a stock engine with a warranty? I don't get it, he's all over the place.

I am just going to go ahead and swap in a 3sgte and watch the world burn.
Can we get a fund going, CURSED SWAPS:

13b?
SR?
Hellcat crate with only the left side of the V firing?
Prius swap?

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can we get a fund going, CURSED SWAPS:

13b?
SR?
Hellcat crate with only the left side of the V firing?
Prius swap?
I am going to pull the s52 out of my project car and deactivate 2 cylinders

niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It would be a fun swap, that motor is capable of a lot of power. A 2j would also piss a lot of people off
I honestly think 2Js are insanely overdone, but...I can't deny how hilarious the thought of an I6 with two turbines on it sounds screaming across the desert in a Bronco. Or an RB26 lol. Or EJ257...

Wait, no, we're thinking too small...

BARRA SWAP IT! :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh look, another silly "2.3L is underpowered" post. Next.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're being intentionally obtuse and confrontational. Try not being an asshole for a day.

People are comparing the 2.3t to older v8s...because that's what the last bronco had! It's perfectly reasonable to compare the engine from today's bronco to the older ones.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You keep saying this, and I don't think it's true. We can't have people here that think they'll be racing their Wildtrak in the Baja 1000.
If you think that anybody is going to be "racing" or competing in rock crawl competitions in a stock Bronco both you and they are high AF.
Anybody attempting this would find, as did the Bronco R team, that the engine is not their weak point.
The engine choices we've been given are perfectly appropriate. And it is simply reality that manufacturers are moving away from V8s, except for FCA. Don't like it? Don't buy one.
This thread is about whether the 4cyl is capable enough. Not about whether or not a V8 would be better.

niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The engine choices we've been given are perfectly appropriate. And it is simply reality that manufacturers are moving away from V8s, except for FCA. Don't like it? Don't buy one.
The funnier thing about this is a lot of people on this forum heard about the 392 trail concept and went "Eh who cares it's just another V8 FCA get a new party trick," but then will turn around and decry that 5.0's aren't going in Broncos from the factory any time soon. It's weird.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The funnier thing about this is a lot of people on this forum heard about the 392 trail concept and went "Eh who cares it's just another V8 FCA get a new party trick," but then will turn around and decry that 5.0's aren't going in Broncos from the factory any time soon. It's weird.
I work with a guy that was so pissed there was no V8 offered he swears he'll call mine a Bronco II.

Me-"Whatever Carl."

Sponsored

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't have the actual number on me but Im' building a 4cyl Mustang track car and did a bunch of research on it.

Ford is notorious for hiding their curb weights ever since the aluminum body came out and was 600lbs lighter, yet the truck is still 700lbs heavier than Chevy and Ram....

Comes down to 4cyl being 165lbs lighter than the coyote.
Coyote is about another 100lbs lighter than the 2.7 - from what I have been able to gather..

So, around 250lbs? That's a lot, specially being that its up front...

Krak-A-Pat

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've seen a lot of reviews that the 2.0 4 cyl. is unreliable in the ford explorer. I'm curious if reliability will be an issue with the 2.3 4 cyl. in a four door bronco. I have the 4cyl as a selection on my 4 door badlands build but I'm worried that I may start having issues around 50k miles or so. Not worried about power at all just reliability....

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Are we still talking about this??? Full disclosure, I haven't read all 13 pages yet... but people are talking out of ignorance here! These are NOT 110hp honda 4 banger engines from the 80s! I have a Focus ST with a 2.0 engine, tuned to about 300hp. I keep up (until about 70mph) with my co-workers Camaro SS. I did the tune right out the gate when I bought it "used" with 900 miles on it. I now have 90,000 and if anything, it's running better than it did with 1,000 miles. You're precious non-v8 Bronco will do FINE with the 2.3l. Do some research, drive some turbos, and quit bitching.
So much this. Reading all the "but V8 :'( " dudes online is endlessly annoying. They're the same people who cry "back in my day" but have no idea what's actually happening today.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So much this. Reading all the "but V8 :'( " dudes online is endlessly annoying. They're the same people who cry "back in my day" but have no idea what's actually happening today.
Don’t knock V-8s. The simpler versions, are very reliable, not over-stressed with turbos or other power adders and do very well in most platforms despite their inefficencies. Plus most V-8 have a great bellowing exhaust note, unlike the high-strung anemic blender song of most 4 cylinders and especially the V-6s.

jaekim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 ZHP
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Bronco was rated to tow more I would upgrade. From what I've read the I4 is plenty of engine.
Sponsored