Sponsored

Will the 4.7 final drive ratio kill MPG and TOP end speed for use as practical daily driver?

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New to understanding this stuff but I get this;

3.73 RATIO4.10 RATIO
Slower off the lineQuicker off the line
Lower torqueHigher torque
Better gas mileageWorse gas mileage
Higher top speedLower top speed

So does that mean 4.7 on the Bandlands is a killer for a daily commuter?
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

3.73 RATIO4.10 RATIO

Not a killer but Highway rpms will be slightly higher so you will likely use a bit more fuel. Will be more responsive down low around town. Do you care about top speed in a Bronco?

OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a killer but Highway rpms will be slightly higher so you will likely use a bit more fuel. Will be more responsive down low around town. Do you care about top speed in a Bronco?
Don't care about top speed other than I drive freeway to work regularly and drive about 80 mph doing it. That's top enough for me but don't want to murder my mpgs in the process.

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also that 10R80 is preeeeeeeety swooft. Probably very minimal highway difference.
Do it.
I mean , this shit could be a this year only thing.. BaseSquatch people too; DO IT. They might not let that dog hunt next year.

Sponsored
OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also that 10R80 is preeeeeeeety swooft. Probably very minimal highway difference.
Do it.
I mean , this shit could be a this year only thing.. BaseSquatch people too; DO IT. They might not let that dog hunt next year.
I am assuming that's the 10 speed auto....I bet it's awesome but I am dead set on the manual 2.3

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

3.73 RATIO4.10 RATIO

The assumption with the math is that the tires stay the same. If the tires stayed the same then your chart is correct. However the tires get bigger so the "worse gas mileage" gets boiled out because the tire diameter offsets the gearing some. At the same time the bigger tires slow down the acceleration a bit too. Both of these together brings the performance back towards your "normal" tire and gearing combination.

OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The assumption with the math is that the tires stay the same. If the tires stayed the same then your chart is correct. However the tires get bigger so the "worse gas mileage" gets boiled out because the tire diameter offsets the gearing some. At the same time the bigger tires slow down the acceleration a bit too. Both of these together brings the performance back towards your "normal" tire and gearing combination.
That's a good thought. Was planning on staying with 33's. Are you saying if I went with 35's my mpg would be better but I'd just be slower off the line?

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do it.
I was wondering this myself.

What if sasquatch on all trims is a one time gimmick and will be phased out if they discover that reducing access to packages on certain trims increases profits and manufacturing efficiency.

I don't need sasquatch but I'm getting a basesquach in part because of this very reason.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With the slightly bigger tires and the slightly bigger gears, it’s basically a washout.
There might be a small difference but not anything you should notice very much.

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am assuming that's the 10 speed auto....I bet it's awesome but I am dead set on the manual 2.3
The 7MT with the Crawl gear is one of the very first reasons I dove into Bronco. But the obvious and clear superiority of the 2.7, in comparison, and for the money, and moreover the seemingly minuscule efficiency differences; well that has made me a converter.

if they pair a 2.7 with a manual I’ll be the first in line to trade in.

OP
OP
11Bronco1776

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 7MT with the Crawl gear is one of the very first reasons I dove into Bronco. But the obvious and clear superiority of the 2.7, in comparison, and for the money, and moreover the seemingly minuscule efficiency differences; well that has made me a converter.

I am with you man. I'd love the 2.7 manual but I am kinda blowing my wad on this first time go. Not interested to take the depreciation hit and re finance another bronco. SOO be patient and wait more years for a maybe or go for it now. I am going for it now so stuck with the 2.3 with high hopes.......

Mitragorz

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PIckups
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
EDIT: I didn’t take into account that we were talking about comparing the gear ratios as well o_O

So everything below doesn’t necessarily apply. But I’m going to leave it.

Big tires definitely do not help gas mileage.

If that were the case, my pickup with 35s would be getting phenomenal mileage.

It doesn’t :ROFLMAO:

But I think I see your point. Exaggerated examples, but say you’ve got a roller skate wheel... You need to spin that engine much faster to make 60mph. Put on a normal tire and the truck has to do less work (lower RPMs) to make the same speed.

But once you start talking about tires in the 31”-35” range... well, those tires are heavy, even the difference between 33s and 35s is significant. It takes a lot of power to move all that mass.

High gearing helps, but I’d still say 4.7s rolling 35s will have worse mileage than 33s. Not saying the difference will be huge, but it’ll be something. I could be wrong but that’s my theory.

I know my mileage dropped from 19mpg on the stock tires down to say 14ish when I got 33s, and dropped even more when I went 35

Last edited:

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the #1 reason I have reservations about getting a first year model. First it was no manual trans and v6 and no manual trans and sasquatch. Now we have man-squatch, I dont like to waste my money.
Sponsored