Sponsored

Will the 4.7 final drive ratio kill MPG and TOP end speed for use as practical daily driver?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am with you man. I'd love the 2.7 manual but I am kinda blowing my wad on this first time go. Not interested to take the depreciation hit and re finance another bronco. SOO be patient and wait more years for a maybe or go for it now. I am going for it now so stuck with the 2.3 with high hopes.......
I feel your concerns guys lets hope when we get the 2.3 stick we are pleasantly suprised! But sometimes i feel like im ordering a dish at the diner and my gut tells me im not really going to like it but i sit there waiting for it to come.
I test drove a 2.3 ranger and it impressed me ,i plan on goin up in tire size so my choice gets even mor critical.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4.7 ratio with 35's will have roughly equal torque at the tire contact patch on the road as a 4.46 with 33's. The heavier 35's will take more power to churn.

In a Badlands I expect
You would lose at least 1 MPG from the wider, more aggressive tread M/T tires on a Sasquatch package.

The Base with the open 3.73 ratio rear end and P rated tires should get 1-2 MPG more than a Badlands on its 33" A/T tires.

Adding them together, a Base will lose 2-3 MPG if Sasquatch'd. Again, my conjecture based on adding unsprung weight, wind resistance, and increased rolling resistance from respective size/tread increases. YMMV.

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its not going to "kill" your gas mileage or your top end as there are tradeoffs in geometry as pointed out by a poster earlier. (Although I will add that the 35's are 1.5" wider... Yeah, larger rolling wheel will help MPG, but that footprint is resistance.... contact patch is larger. Prius uses a tiny wheel for a reason... So, there's a trade off.

Although there will be some effect... You're gonna spend a little more in gas... Some quick math using avg mileage is about an additional $2/wk in fuel cost over year. (that's per week) I doubt you will notice any topend giveback with a 10 speed tranny.

I really think it comes down how you plan to use the vehicle.... If you see yourself rock climbing and mud bogging on the weekends, go big... If the vehicle is a DD and only used for that once a year trip to the Alpine Loop, you're 33's would be fine.

If you're going for looks.... well... not sure there are a lot of guys standing around saying, " wow, I wish mine was smaller.." The bigguns will always get the compliments...

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Keep in mind that the 3.73s is standard in base and maybe Big Bend. The base has a 30" tire which is a big factor in what you're talking about here. Badlands have 32.5-33" tires. I did the math on all of this last month and the differences I found (less air resistance, admittedly) is minimal. Say, 100-150rpms. Basically, you're fine.

I have experience in this arena as I used to modify Mustangs. 4.10s in a 5-spd with a final gear ratio of 0.72:1 WOULD hurt gas mileage at highway speeds, however. The Bronco is about 0.65:1.

Sponsored
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to sound like im coming off rude but if you are one of the people worried about your mpg's i would really think hard if the bronco is the vehicle for you, because some people say 4.7 wont hurt that much but its definitely noticeable, i went from 3.55 to 4.10 in my mustang and noticed a difference, so having 4.7 on a big heavy vehicle with 35's.... well MPG is not going to be that great, but the Bronco wasn't made with good gas mileage in mind.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The final drive ratio in 7th is pretty much the same as 10th on the auto, so at cruising speed, you may spin a couple hundred rpm more, and the extra tire weight will add to your decline, but it’s not going to be ass drastic as you’re panicking. Besides, if you’re THAT worried about your mpg, you probably should be looking into a different vehicle. Regardless of what’s posted, if you’re getting 15 or above, you’re doing pretty damn good for an off road based vehicle.

Ford Bronco Will the 4.7 final drive ratio kill MPG and TOP end speed for use as practical daily driver? 078942FA-6D25-4A85-B664-EC588EBEDAE3

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is the #1 reason I have reservations about getting a first year model. First it was no manual trans and v6 and no manual trans and sasquatch. Now we have man-squatch, I dont like to waste my money.
Agreed.
I would have much preferred a 2.7 MT over a Sasquatch w MT. Woulda paid too.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to sound like im coming off rude but if you are one of the people worried about your mpg's i would really think hard if the bronco is the vehicle for you, because some people say 4.7 wont hurt that much but its definitely noticeable, i went from 3.55 to 4.10 in my mustang and noticed a difference, so having 4.7 on a big heavy vehicle with 35's.... well MPG is not going to be that great, but the Bronco wasn't made with good gas mileage in mind.
I agree, but it still would be nice to have an idea right now. I’m not expecting Honda CR-V mileage, but if Sasquatch V6 comes back with some absurd gas mileage it would change my mind. As long as it’s close to it’s competition then that’s fine:

Wrangler Rubicon: 17/23 mpg
4Runner TRD Pro: 17/20 mpg

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree, but it still would be nice to have an idea right now. I’m not expecting Honda CR-V mileage, but if Sasquatch V6 comes back with some absurd gas mileage it would change my mind. As long as it’s close to it’s competition then that’s fine:

And real world numbers on the rubi are closer to 15/18-20. Those numbers are from low resistance straight line driving. Put them into real world scenarios and you’re closer to the low side. I would bet more realistically on 15/18-20.

Sponsored
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea but when you add bigger tires doesnt your MPG drop lower also?
Maybe im not understanding something here, in my experience changing to a higher number gear 4.10 or 4.7 hurts your fuel economy, also the bigger your tires are 33 to 35inch hurts your fuel economy so why together would it be a wash? I'm not a mechanic but my simple logic would tell me together they would make your fuel economy even worse not wash each other out. But please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

GotNotch

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went from 3.31 to 4:10 on my 14 F150 with 5.0 and my mpg in the city actually got better. The 4:10 allowed the auto transmission to shift into 6th in the city. Normally it stayed in fifth. Hwy MPG only went down 2.

Everything depends on the gearing in the transmission. A 10 speed in the Bronco will help a lot with mpg.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I totally understand and from what I heard the numbers will be close to the competition, maybe a little worse with the sasquatch but not much if it is would be my guess.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yea but when you add bigger tires doesnt your MPG drop lower also?

Maybe im not understanding something here, in my experience changing to a higher number gear 4.10 or 4.7 hurts your fuel economy, also the bigger your tires are 33 to 35inch hurts your fuel economy so why together would it be a wash? I'm not a mechanic but my simple logic would tell me together they would make your fuel economy even worse not wash each other out. But please let me know if my understanding is wrong.
In old school thinking, you’re correct (trust me it’s taken me time to get here too), but look at the gear ratios of each individual gear, even though you are spinning a higher gear at the axle, the top end gears coming from the transmission makes up for part of it by being so low. It’s still going to decrease, but at less of a rate than it would with the older transmissions spinning at higher individual gear ratios.
Sponsored