First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So think about what you’re saying. The thief’s choice is pop off the window (or unzip it in the case of my Jeep) or slash it open with a knife (which they probably will do anyway).

The only physical security you have with a soft top is the two lockable compartments (glove box and center console storage) and the security tray shown on the overland concept. This mindset change goes for any convertible.

Depending on where you live, a year is doable. I lived the Spartan life in Northern Virginia/ DC for three years with no break in in a Miata. And 12 in the Raleigh Durham area with a Jeep - including a lot of times with no windows at all.

It all comes down to leaving nothing out in plain view.
This is true. But thieves are willing to take a chance for an easy haul. If they see a soft top vehicle that they can use a knife to get into in a few seconds they'll take that chance in hopes of getting something good. This over breaking a window and drawing attention to themselves. It might not even be at your home. It could be at the mall. At the grocery store. Anywhere.
Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Uhm, shouldn't those side panels only be removable from INSIDE the car? Anyone can come along, pop them out, steal all your shit, and your car too while they are at it, and not have to break anything.

Edit : I was hoping to live with the soft top for a year until the white modular comes out, but the fact anyone can walk up and just open the top is a joke.
???? are you being serious?? It’s a SOFT top. Ever heard of a knife?

DrewM

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JKU Sahara, '12 IS350, '79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How do you Jeep people store your windows now? Does the top come with bags to keep them from getting scratched up when off the vehicle?
If I don't want to take them with me, which is most of the time, I use a couple of these and hang them flat against the wall in the garage.

Ford Bronco Bronco Soft Top how-to video -- folding, removing and window removal 284-SKT12_L

If I want to take them with me, I just roll them up in a couple of old beach towels.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is true. But thieves are willing to take a chance for an easy haul. If they see a soft top vehicle that they can use a knife to get into in a few seconds they'll take that chance in hopes of getting something good. This over breaking a window and drawing attention to themselves. It might not even be at your home. It could be at the mall. At the grocery store. Anywhere.
Yes - exactly - which is why a convertible owner needs to have a different (less shit / all hidden or locked away) mentality.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s awesome. It looks great and the functionality couldn’t be better. Some of the comments in here are just bizarre. Is there some Stealth model Soft Top that turns invisible or something that I’m not aware of? What top are the haters comparing it to that is better? I can’t even get thru two pages....

Sponsored

Jason O

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Bronco II; 2015 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do all these people complaining about the soft top being broken into ever plan on taking their doors off? I guess thieves only attack in crummy weather, or these people never plan on taking the door off due to the chance of someone reaching in and stealing stuff.

I've got a JK Bestop soft top, and this looks way better.

If you're that worried about security, get an Explorer because it sounds like you don't want the no door, no top, open air experience.

Last edited:

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was old and it didn't shatter on its own. Maybe a poor choice of words on my part.

It was probably about 10F-20F. I was moving cargo around and cold, so I was trying to get it done faster than if it was warmer. The sudden movement made my briefcase slide into center of the window. It wasn't that much weight (probably a few pounds), but it made the window break.

When I say it shattered, it simply broke into about four pieces, cleanly, from edge to edge.

It was older and because of the cold it was more ridgid than normal. The good news? It was 100% covered under my "window breakage" portion of my insurance. I got a new soft top.

The only time in my life, I felt like I got more than my money's worth from my insurance company.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes - exactly - which is why a convertible owner needs to have a different (less shit / all hidden or locked away) mentality.
My point was more that even if nothing is visible, thieves would be more willing to take a chance of breaking in to a soft top with a box cutter or knife than having to break a window. Gives them more rummage time. LOL

Sponsored

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How do you Jeep people store your windows now? Does the top come with bags to keep them from getting scratched up when off the vehicle?
I just lay mine side windows flat in the cargo area, and then lay the rear window/tailgate bar diagonally across, so it’s kinda halfway resting on one of the wheelwells.

Once upon a time I cared enough to lovingly layer fleece blankets in between. Now, not so much.

Note: I drive a 4-door currently. A 2-door Wrangler’s cargo space is way too tiny to accomplish what I mentioned above.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do all these people complaining about the soft top being broken into ever plan on taking their doors off? I guess thieves only attack in crummy weather, or these people never plan on taking the door off due to the chance of someone reaching in and stealing stuff.

I've got a JK Bestop soft top, and this looks way better.

If you're that worried about security, get an Explorer because it sounds like you don't want the no door, no top, open air experience.

That's pretty lame reasoning. Most, and I do say most, people who would leave their doors off while it was unattended wouldn't leave anything out within easy theft reach. Just because people are worried about theft doesn't mean they can't have a vehicle with open air option. In case you haven't noticed times are really tough now. People are more desperate for an easy payday.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You people have wild imaginations when it comes to soft tops. ?

So, what does said thief do once they cut the top? This isn’t a small car. Are they to hoist themselves up into the Bronco (that’s not suspicious at all ?)? Then what? Open the door and the alarm goes off. So, drive off? Can’t hot wire. No key. Steal cash? Who carries cash in 2020? Let alone leave any in their car.

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They finally made a video about it after a certain thread was posted. ;)

I can honestly say that the soft top on my JL is better. That lift up feature is pretty cool, but the rest of the top just looks cheap and clunky. The JL top folds down flatter and in mine, it still blocks my rearward view. I also think those side windows need to be held in better.
How many other ways can you hold those windows in place to me they seem well held in place but still not over complicated to remove.