Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
OK, I tried to search and didn't find anything so I'm just going to throw this out there.

Has anyone seen any information on maximum tire size for the Big Bend trim? All I see is questions/discussions about Badlands which appears to have a taller suspension than the other trims as it is.

I'm well aware that to go to a 285 I'd need to most likely opt for new wheels as well (which isn't bad, BB wheels are ugly).

But is there any reason to think they wouldn't fit otherwise? That is a $5,000 swing in my builds.. Go BB and swap wheels/tires (figure $2,500+/- for aftermarket wheel/tire) or go with Squatch? Like I say, $5,000 swing being that Squatch is financed. $2,500 swing if you account for new wheels/tires (those wouldn't be financed over course of the loan). I prefer the look of Squatch, but some days it's hard to justify the bump up to them when 33's will still look good.

Thanks
Sponsored

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Biggest would be the configuration of the black diamond they are 32 inch tires, 265/65/17
going 33 most likely will need a lift since it’s badlands size tires

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
I just can't see Ford cutting it off at 32's. Especially when I fit 33's on the wife's JKU sport with new wheels.

Edit: add in the fact that a 285/70 is 32.7". Should fit with proper offset.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Biggest would be the configuration of the black diamond they are 32 inch tires, 265/65/17
going 33 most likely will need a lift since it’s badlands size tires
BB tires measure taller than the BD by about a half inch (32.1 vs 31.6). I'd say even a more aggressive looking tire at stock size would make it look better. I like the look of the 35's but mine will be a daily driver with next to no off-road use and 32/33 realm would be better (I think).

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If I stick with my BB reservation I’ll most likely go non-squatched so I can add an aftermarket lift and tires. If the rumored Ford lift doesn’t exist that is.

Sponsored

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nobody knows the answer yet. There appears to be a ton of room but until someone tires it...

I think 285s would look good lower trim levels. The tire might be too wide without a lift. Also, might be too much tire for 3.73 gearing.

I was thinking about maybe even trying 275 70 r17. The diameter is about the same as BB stock. Should be good with speedo and gearing.

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
I plan to tow a 12' trailer with (2) quads on it. So I'm already looking to bump the gears to the 4.27's (w/v6). When I did the wife's Jeep, just needed the offset of the new wheels. Putting 285's only affected speedo by 2 mph (from stock). I could pay 200 bucks for the calibrator, or just deal with it.

So yeah, 32's/33's are better overall for a daily, less weight, less meat on the road, better mpg. But I've had Bronco's in the past running 35's, and it didn't bother me. So I'm not so much worried about that. I'm just torn between the extra $2,500 off the bat, and extra every 18 months I spend replacing them. I drive about 25k-28k miles/year, I go through tires pretty quick. So if you figured it out by now... I don't like to part with what little money I have ?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just can't see Ford cutting it off at 32's. Especially when I fit 33's on the wife's JKU sport with new wheels.

Edit: add in the fact that a 285/70 is 32.7". Should fit with proper offset.
But will the offset allow for enough higher speed compression on a corner? Not sure I would trust it. That is the concern I am having for BD and 285s.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big Bend diameter is 32.1”
Black Diamond is 31.6 “

In my mind there isn’t much of a difference between the Big Bend tire and 33” tire, but who knows that might be too much

I guess you would also need to consider how the width of the tire would fit

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a ton of room under the wheel well. The only problem I see is if the rims need offset.

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But will the offset allow for enough higher speed compression on a corner? Not sure I would trust it. That is the concern I am having for BD and 285s.
Hey Speed Racer, this isn't going to be my Mustang ? .. And no matter how hard I try to drive it the same way, the top heaviness will probably cause me to slow down. So I wouldn't see the 33's (285's) being an issue.

Big Bend diameter is 32.1”
Black Diamond is 31.6 “

In my mind there isn’t much of a difference between the Big Bend tire and 33” tire, but who knows that might be too much

I guess you would also need to consider how the width of the tire would fit
I don't see a reason why a 285 wouldn't fit. We are talking a total of approx. 1/2" in overall diameter over the Big Bend, 32.1" to 32.7". Take half that number for center of wheel to outside of tire.. so 1/4".

There is a ton of room under the wheel well. The only problem I see is if the rims need offset.
Yes definitely feel offset will be an issue. For my reference of the Jeep (wife's), we did go with an offset wheel for the 285's. To avoid rubbing underneath (plastic rock protector or whatever it is). Helps you keep some of your turning radius. But I did plan on going with some sort of offset to be safe.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey Speed Racer, this isn't going to be my Mustang ? .. And no matter how hard I try to drive it the same way, the top heaviness will probably cause me to slow down. So I wouldn't see the 33's (285's) being an issue.

I don't see a reason why a 285 wouldn't fit. We are talking a total of approx. 1/2" in overall diameter over the Big Bend, 32.1" to 32.7". Take half that number for center of wheel to outside of tire.. so 1/4".

Yes definitely feel offset will be an issue. For my reference of the Jeep (wife's), we did go with an offset wheel for the 285's. To avoid rubbing underneath (plastic rock protector or whatever it is). Helps you keep some of your turning radius. But I did plan on going with some sort of offset to be safe.
Just trying to be super pessimistic and save the potential fender purchase (red is hard to match).

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just trying to be super pessimistic and save the potential fender purchase (red is hard to match).
Look at it this way, then you can upgrade to those kick ass SEMA squared off fenders :love:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Look at it this way, then you can upgrade to those kick ass SEMA squared off fenders :love:
Here I am debating if I want the door bags.
Sponsored