Sponsored

How bad is sasquatch really for family road tripper / ride quality?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am torn between two builds - 33" A/Ts on the Badlands or an OBX sasquatch. I'll probably put 5-7k miles a year on this car, so Im not incredibly concerned about mileage, but this WILL be the family hauler for road trips with 1-2 kids, and weekend cruiser...our second car is a small sedan, and will stay that way. So all kid duties will be on the Bronco, and the sedan being my wife's commuter car. (I commute via train).

After seeing AMB in person yesterday, i really want to make it work. I know I dont want 32s. Im down to two options:

Build #1 - Badlands Area 51, 2.7L lux, MGV, MIC top, stock 33s. MIC top and unpainted flares and grille all tie together

Build #2 - OBX AMB, leather, 2.7L lux, MIC top, sasquatch. Going sasquatch allows me to have unpainted bigger flares to tie in the MIC top, and black grille, painted mirrors and handles to bring together the AMB paint job. more badass stealth look. Unfortunately, it's going to cost me $2k+ over build #1, but it's the only way, personally, i could get AMB to work with a MIC top without 32s.

My original build, which is still somewhat on the table, is the OBX, non-sasquatch 2.7L lux in AMB, plus higher gearing. Toss the tires, keep the rims, get 33s. TBD on whether i need a slight lift. And given everything on the car is painted (included the flares), I would then get rid of the MIC top and get a mod black top (i have a day 1 ressie and wont wait). But after the outrageous cost of what I think a mod top will cost afterwards, that build ends up being $4k more than Build #1, and $2k more than Build #2. The numbers keep piling up, and i figure i might as well get an OBX sasquatch (build#2) for less, and not agonize over waiting for a mod top, and get a factory suspension setup for bigger tires, with unpainted flares to bring in the MIC top

And not for nothing, but two positives:

1. It seems like an OBX 2.7L sasquatch weighs less than a 2.7L Badlands on 33s, since it doesnt have the bash plates, steel bumper, etc, etc. Less things are locked out on B&P if that’s any indication. Which could be important if that means I have more room in GVWR for a roof cargo box. OBX also gets my running boards for the wife and power seats (but a worse interior color than BL).

2. The sasquatch wheels are really 34.4, not 35. So rounded, i should probably think of them as 34s, and not crazy big.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would expect it to be fairly compliant with the Squatch because that was a "requirement" for all models. Just like the brakes were probably designed around the Squatch and just used on the smaller tires.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 4 door Jeep on 35s and has been mostly a daily driver and no issues on long or short trips But also is great off road. I bet the squatchEd Bronco is even better on the road.

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

It boils down to what you want, its all subjective. We are doing a blackdimond sqatch. Ours will take on the roll of daily driver and family road trips to the mountains. Those trips are usualy 5k trips themselves.

Last edited:

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You’ll get a lot of responses both ways but honestly the only way to tell is for you to drive something with 35” M/T tires (I know MT supposedly stands for max terrain on SQ but the lugs are more aggressive than an AT). I drove a duramax on 35” Nitto trail grapplers almost daily for a year and didn’t realize how loud they were until I switched to a sedan.

Not sure where you are in Jersey so it might be tough to find a dealership that puts lift kits and 35’s on their trucks but go test drive one if you can and pay attention to the noise from the tires, ride quality etc. 35” M/T’s will be noisier than 33” A/T’s, but honestly don’t know if you’ll notice a ride quality difference between the two. There is a difference but it’s minuscule.

Also note that both will get noisier over time.

Sponsored

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably depends on what you’re used to. I’ve read a post from a guy that said he had a Jeep with 35” tires that didn’t drive in sixth gear because it was too Squirrley and said it was a great daily driver :)

it’s all subjective and what you want

it sure would be nice to see one in person and have the ability to sit in it and really get a feel for it

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If the GEN1 and GEN2 Raptor is any indication then Bronco on 35s will be fantastic on road. The GEN1 and GEN2 Raptors are the most comfortable vehicles I have ever owned. Long distance road trips are fantastic!

I think trucks that are optimize for off-road use feels great on road due to the more than average suspension travel.

Last edited:

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your build #1 is my exact build now ha, if you live in Michigan I vote you go OBX AMB!

Desert6

Black Diamond
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘11 Power Wagon, '20 Armada, '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe a lot of the ride quality is going to be determined by the wheelbase. Shorter wheelbase vehicles just don't ride as well as their longer wheelbase counterparts.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My buddy with a JL on 34 ATs said he would never want to take it on a road trip. Which has me worried but not sure if that’s totally due to IFS. I’m in northern NJ 10 miles west of Manhattan so yes we have a lot of potholes around here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Your build #1 is my exact build now ha, if you live in Michigan I vote you go OBX AMB!
Lol. Build #1 is a freaking steal and works well with the MIC. If I love Area 51 in person I’ll call it a done deal. I pivoted to that build after the the mod top announcement. I was also 90% sure I would go that route until yesterday when I saw an AMB in person, and that video of the AMB OBX squatch. I think deep down that’s what I really wanted all along.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh another big consideration is the snow. That’s a negative for 35 MTs over 33 ATs

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol. Build #1 is a freaking steal and works well with the MIC. If I love Area 51 in person I’ll call it a done deal. I pivoted to that build after the the mod top announcement. I was also 90% sure I would go that route until yesterday when I saw an AMB in person, and that video of the AMB OBX squatch. I think deep down that’s what I really wanted all along.
There's no wrong answer ha! I was OBX Sasquatch, matched mod top, lux leather, but when I really started pricing it out there is just too much value in the Badlands lux, optional wheels/tires, MIC for me to not get it. It's all preference though, and both your rigs sound great

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh another big consideration is the snow. That’s a negative for 35 MTs over 33 ATs
Sasquatch doesn't add mud terrain tires. It adds Max Traction tires, so no negative there. The mud terrain bullet for the sasquatch is a typo and has been posted many times here.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sasquatch doesn't add mud terrain tires. It adds Max Traction tires, so no negative there. The mud terrain bullet for the sasquatch is a typo and has been posted many times here.
Excellent. Thanks. Very looked into Sasquatch until I saw AMB in person and tried to figure out work around a to pair with the MIC. Enter sasquatch.
Sponsored