Type of tires you want

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So have you had both Duratracs and Nittos? Opinions?

AutoEdits did the Patagonias to reduce weight and seems to like them.
Have not had the Patagonias or the Duratracs. Did have Mickey Thompson ATZ tires on my previous (‘08) JKU and really liked them, but weight and cost disqualified them for me on my ‘16 JKU. Looked at the Duras and then went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler, again for lighter weight, performance characteristics, and aggressive style. Much of my JKU travel is on paved or light gravel roads and occasionally used for volunteer “rescue response” in ditches and fields. Never an issue: relatively quiet, handle rain and Wisconsin snow well, and absolutely no complaints on dry pavement (at 35 psi). They were easy to balance and I rotate them every 5,000 miles. Have about 18,000 miles on them and no real noticeable tread loss. They take me right down the road. Because I like to try different things, however, and unless the reviews are bad by the time the country “reopens,” I am most likely going to run the new TOYO Open Country A/T 3 on my Ranger. [I am also adding the 2” Ford Performance Suspension Leveling Kit to the Ranger.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Having said that, TOYO has just introduced the Open Country A/T III.
These look really nice, and they have a 65K warranty to boot. I looked at the Duratracs and they only have a 50K warranty.

AutoEdits did the Patagonias to reduce weight and seems to like them.
Never heard of the Patagonia's so I had to look them up, they are a Taiwan import and only have a 40K warranty. This may be why they are lighter weight.

So from a warranty view, the Open Country A/T III are looking nice. But I have to weigh the tradeoffs for my needs in an A/T tire:
#1 Ride and Comfort, #2 Quiet, #3 Treadwear Longevity, #4 Gas mileage, #5 Handles Texas Clay Mud

For those of you in the learning mode like me, I found this website to have a wealth of tire information, brands, dimensions, weight, etc.
https://tiresize.com/

chicknwithabeer

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited 2015 Ford f150 3.5 E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Type of tires you want IMG_20200327_144615342_HDR

Toyo MT will definitely be my go to.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So from a warranty view, the Open Country A/T III are looking nice. But I have to weigh the tradeoffs for my needs in an A/T tire:
#1 Ride and Comfort, #2 Quiet, #3 Treadwear Longevity, #4 Gas mileage, #5 Handles Texas Clay Mud
I can tell you from experience that Duratracs meet your criteria. I got 75k miles out of my first set on the JKUR. They are quiet (for big tires with muddish blocks on them) for about 3/4’s of those miles. Can’t comment on gas mileage - I drive a lifted Jeep on 34’s. They ride a lot softer than the OEM BFG KMs did (which lasted about 30k miles). They Have good wet and snow grip too, and are a truck tire with good tow rating.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Stance caters perfectly to a crowd of people who thrive on negative attention.

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s April 1st...

0A94495C-5EE3-4C61-974A-943167C6CF1E.jpeg

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, and look, those wheels are black!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They do more than hum. 15 MPH they will vibrate the steering wheel right off the column :)
(not nearly as bad at speed). In the right kind of mud, they also slam virtually brick size mud cubes
into the wheel wells @ 100's per minute, which is a downright scary noise the first time you hear it.

Sponsored

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the Open Country AT2. 33" will be my choice. Local dealer does roush and outfitter stuff so pretty much lift/tires can be added to purchase agreement

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run a set of 265/70/17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXPs on my 2019 Ranger, and have been very happy with them. This is DC's new A/T-M/T-hybrid tire that performs well on the street (relatively quiet) and has gotten me through snow, rock, and sand while offroading. I've had two previous sets of M/T DCs, which did just as well, except louder. These currently retail for $180 at Tire Rack, and purportedly have a 45K-mile tread life; I only have about 6,000 miles on mine, so haven't detected noticeable wear yet. They handle well at Ford's recommended 30 psi on pavement, and are very effective offroad when aired down to 15 psi.

By the way, Dick Cepek is owned by Cooper; build/mfg. quality has been superb in my experience.

Tire Rack page for the tire:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Dick+Cepek&tireModel=Trail+Country+EXP&width=265/&ratio=70&diameter=17&cameFrom=selectSize&partnum=67QR7TCEOWL

Following is a video from the manufacturer that showcases some of the tire's fairly high-tech (imo) design features:

As installed on my Ranger with 17" factory wheels:

Ford Bronco Type of tires you want zxuzITG
Sponsored

Last edited: