Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, maybe zero to VERY low interest for 6 to 7 years.....but regardless, I limit myself to 5 years, maybe 4 depending on what I'm looking at.
We usually keep vehicles a long time, probably too long.
A work vehicle for me .... no way I'm going 6/7 years.

I suppose, since I've been eyeballing Super Duties for awhile, when I buy one, it will be a keeper, a legacy truck so to speak, so if they have zero for 6/7 years, as BB22 said , why not?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d rather have a lower payment and pay more on my payment. That way if something happens where I’m not able to pay I can miss a few payments with no problems

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I do the same thing. I work construction and it's much easier to give extra or double payments than try to renegotiate if construction gets slow. Case in point what we are going through right now.

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never even consider the monthly payment On a loan. It’s only a calculation of purchase price and interest. I would do a 0% loan @ 84 months all day long. Sure I’ll take your money for free for 7 years! The extra money I’m not spending on payments and interest is invested and making ME money and if I ever want to trade in the car, I use some of that.

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never even consider the monthly payment On a loan. It’s only a calculation of purchase price and interest. I would do a 0% loan @ 84 months all day long. Sure I’ll take your money for free for 7 years! The extra money I’m not spending on payments and interest is invested and making ME money and if I ever want to trade in the car, I use some of that.
If you do that, like ChrispyKC said, you'll find yourself (likely significantly) upside down on your vehicle. You've got to either put enough money down, or have a short enough loan term, or you're going to have a real tough time building any equity in the vehicle. You might not plan to sell it, but things happen, wants/needs change, and then you'll have to pony up just to get back out of the vehicle.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you do that, like ChrispyKC said, you'll find yourself (likely significantly) upside down on your vehicle. You've got to either put enough money down, or have a short enough loan term, or you're going to have a real tough time building any equity in the vehicle. You might not plan to sell it, but things happen, wants/needs change, and then you'll have to pony up just to get back out of the vehicle.
the actual vehicle may be upside down but I’m ahead. I took the money I would have put down and kept it and made interest on it. I didn't pay anyone interest for 7 years and made compounded interest on what I didn’t pay n the auto loan and if I want to trade my “upside down” vehicle at any time, I just grab some of that wad of cash I made by taking out a 0% loan for 84 months.

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the actual vehicle may be upside down but I’m ahead. I took the money I would have put down and kept it and made interest on it. I didn't pay anyone interest for 7 years and made compounded interest on what I didn’t pay n the auto loan and if I want to trade my “upside down” vehicle at any time, I just grab some of that wad of cash I made by taking out a 0% loan for 84 months.
That might work if you're several years in, but the shorter the time you have owned the vehicle, the less time your invested money has had to work. And let's be honest, the difference between a zero percent interest loan and the going rate of <3% right now isn't exactly going to give you a lot of investment $$ to turn into your "wad of cash" ... at least not in comparison to how quickly a new vehicle can, and often does, depreciate.

I get your point, and kudos to you if you're one of the few who would wisely take that difference and add it to your portfolio.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do the same thing. I work construction and it's much easier to give extra or double payments than try to renegotiate if construction gets slow. Case in point what we are going through right now.
Now that you mention it, wife and I had thst exact discussion at the finance table for the last two cars. We went 5 years instead of 4 for those exact reasons.
Plus, there's the feeling of "WIN" when you pay it off "early". LOL
Takes discipline though.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I spend a lot of money per year on car mods and tools, but I can't see me spending that on one new vehicle.
The bronco I'd probably want, I'm guessing, even an SE trim or higher with 2.7, will probably be $50 or more.
That's 3 (or more) years of car mods for all the other stuff I own. The more I look at it, the better
chance I'm buying used.

But, it's good to see that many have that ability and desire to spend that per month, almost indefinitely.
Aside from this hiccup, country must be doing pretty good.
Sponsored