RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was really looking towards the Gladiator when FCA confirmed it going to production, but the long wheelbase and cab proportion makes the whole package look awkward. It really needs to be on 35's to look right for me.

I wish FCA would have brought the J6 Concept to production as well as a single cab alternative to the Gladiator, I would have put in an order for one no question.

Ford Bronco Jeep Gladiator Struggles to Tow 1607036370663

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder if they actually weighed the trailer. RV trailers typically weigh more than advertised and are easy to load up. The Airstream is also notorious for having extra tongue weight.

It's not suprising that the Gladiator had trouble with a large trailer nearly maxing out (or over) it's capacity.

Many vehicles are at towing at their max capacities. Especially a Jeep towing something with the surface area of an Airstream.

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder if they actually weighed the trailer. RV trailers typically weigh more than advertised and are easy to load up. The Airstream is also notorious for having extra tongue weight.

It's not suprising that the Gladiator had trouble with a large trailer nearly maxing out (or over) it's capacity.

Many vehicles are at towing at their max capacities. Especially a Jeep towing something with the surface area of an Airstream.
The article states they were 1,000 lbs. below the max tow rating, but did say that a load leveler would be helpful. That's probably true of other trucks though.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If they would have made a 2 door Gladiator I would already own one. But that 4 door monstrosity is ugly as hell in my opinion.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The article states they were 1,000 lbs. below the max tow rating, but did say that a load leveler would be helpful. That's probably true of other trucks though.
That's what I was wondering though. Are they going by the stated weight or the actual weight? The dry weight of my trailer listed on the badge is a few hundred pounds less than the actual dry weight. Add batteries, fuel, beds and supplies you can run it up pretty quick.

I was curious if they actually weighed the trailer and checked the tongue weight..

The same trailer can tow completely differently depending on how it's loaded and how much it's loaded.

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's what I was wondering though. Are they going by the stated weight or the actual weight? The dry weight of my trailer listed on the badge is a few hundred pounds less than the actual dry weight. Add batteries, fuel, beds and supplies you can run it up pretty quick.

I was curious if they actually weighed the trailer and checked the tongue weight..

The same trailer can tow completely differently depending on how it's loaded and how much it's loaded.
Good question...is it a trailer provided by Jeep or one used by MT and loaded in a typical weekend mode?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good question...is it a trailer provided by Jeep or one used by MT and loaded in a typical weekend mode?
To be fair I'm assuming it's an empty, or close to empty, and they are using the true weight.

Still doesn't change my opinion that it's not surprising that towing a 23 foot Airstream with a Galdiator is going to be less than ideal.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bet the reason for the I'll handling was the trailer was trying to get away. Airstream be like "I dont want to be seen being pulled by you".

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Jeep Gladiator Struggles to Tow 2021-Jeep-Gladiator-Sport-EcoDiesel-1

Granted it has been a few years since I owned a Wrangler, but the cockpit of this one really looks tight and busy. I am an average guy, but I don't think a big boy (tall or wide) could be comfortable here. Not a shot, just an observation.

Sponsored

cnhendricks93

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 mustang gt 1991 mustang gt 1953 F100
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The non-turbo V6 is also a major problem.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot that could go into that towing experience to make it bad though. They did say the Mojave doesn’t have a trailer brake so that could help it a lot(not sure why they wouldn’t add an aftermarket one if testing towing). And while they recommended getting a weight distribution hitch it never says if they actually used one. If not, that alone can make a huge difference when towing. And how much tongue weight is that camper? Even if under the tow cap, could actually be too much tongue weight. I’ve seen other airstreams with relatively high tongue weights for their size, so towing close to the tow cap could actually be like towing over the tow cap with that higher tongue weight vs same weight trailer with lower tongue weight, especially if they didn’t use a weight distribution hitch. But yea, if all ya do is constantly tow close to the gladiators max it’s probably not the truck for you. Few other reviews around saying gladiator tows fine up to or even above 6k, and others like this saying towing sucks, so lots of varying opinions and differences in setup(the sport with max tow package probably handles it better too). Comes down to what you’re towing(not just what it weighs), how you set it up, and how comfortable you are with it. Gladiator could def do with a better engine than the 3.6 as well.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Forget the dedicated truck and just make a simple cargo area conversion that can be reversible and offer a bulkhead and HD rear springs. But dont pretend its as capable as a ranger.

4everbored

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was really looking towards the Gladiator when FCA confirmed it going to production, but the long wheelbase and cab proportion makes the whole package look awkward. It really needs to be on 35's to look right for me.

I wish FCA would have brought the J6 Concept to production as well as a single cab alternative to the Gladiator, I would have put in an order for one no question.

Ford Bronco Jeep Gladiator Struggles to Tow 2021-Jeep-Gladiator-Sport-EcoDiesel-1
That concept was what I was hoping for.

Deleted member 3063

"I experienced more trailer anti-sway stability control intervention in a one-hour freeway drive behind the wheel of the Gladiator than I have in the entirety of my 12-year vehicle testing career. Every judge who trailered with a Gladiator experienced at least one near miss with an 18-wheeler when the trailer nearly jumped out of its lane and the Gladiator did nothing to stop it. Not a single judge ever wanted to trailer with a Gladiator again."

That's whats called wagging the dog. It would probably be just fine at the Bronco's 3,500# limit. Sure, both can physically pull the weight but it should probably hint an answer to all those who ask - "why is Bronco only rated to tow 3,500# ?"
I can see plenty of litigation in FCA's future.
Sponsored