Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Type R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Willow,

Badlands comes with rock rails bolted to the body. No Ford step/running board option.

I'm told that they can be easily removed and a step installed. I'm looking at a retractable power step.
Sponsored

Willow

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Willow,

Badlands comes with rock rails bolted to the body. No Ford step/running board option.

I'm told that they can be easily removed and a step installed. I'm looking at a retractable power step.
Thank you for sharing.

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A few other threads suggest that the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands might be at least partially mounted to the body and not the frame.

badlands.png

The options codes include an entry for 18D Tube Step - Powder Coated, which is standard on the Outer Banks.

outerbanks.png

Is it safe to assume those are mutually exclusive but that they are probably installed using the same mount points (for good or for bad)?

I'm asking because I suspect that if I put the Squatch package on my Badlands, the height of the 35s is going to be enough to require the steps for my wife to get in the passenger side. Yeah, tube steps are generally not rock rails and are low enough to impede clearance when on the trail.

For my FJ, however, I have the factory rails and just one N-fab step on the passenger that I can quickly remove when I hit the trail.

N-FAB_JPTS32.jpg

Would be nice to have a similar solution for the Bronco, a slider-step combo, at least eventually. While I'd rather just keep the factory rock rails, the concerns over the mount points have me worried enough to wonder whether I should just switch to the factory steps for a while until a better solution is out there.

Any other thoughts on this?
There are going to be so many cool side steps and rock rails available. It's an ideal customization area. The factory bits are nice, but custom might be more fun.

OP
OP
elmystico

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are going to be so many cool side steps and rock rails available. It's an ideal customization area. The factory bits are nice, but custom might be more fun.
Yeah, very hopeful for some cool tube rails like N-fab's.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm hoping that Rugged Ridge (or someone else) makes Boat Sliders for the Bronco.

Pics of my current Jeep with the Rugged Ridge boat sliders.

They mount to both the frame and body pinch seam, while also running along the lower rocker panel, for triple support.

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps 20200919_182444
Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps 20200919_182452

20200909_163122.jpg

20200909_163134.jpg

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think it was that ford modular video, but i seem to recall the guy saying that you could retro fit you bronco on a Saturday Morning, go off roading, then convert it back to city/mall mode.

During that I swear he said that the rock sliders and side steps mount to the same spots so you can pop off the steps, stick on the RR for the weekend and then go back.

Could be mistaken though. I'm getting the tube steps for no other reason than to guarantee I have something on delivery (that hopefully prevents door dings)..oh and of course helps the wife and kid get into my WT.

OP
OP
elmystico

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it was that ford modular video, but i seem to recall the guy saying that you could retro fit you bronco on a Saturday Morning, go off roading, then convert it back to city/mall mode.

During that I swear he said that the rock sliders and side steps mount to the same spots so you can pop off the steps, stick on the RR for the weekend and then go back.

Could be mistaken though. I'm getting the tube steps for no other reason than to guarantee I have something on delivery (that hopefully prevents door dings)..oh and of course helps the wife and kid get into my WT.
I think I recall that, too. I saw the mount points on one of the prototypes at one of the public events. I agree that they sure look easy to remove. Might make them too easy to steal, of course...

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping that Rugged Ridge (or someone else) makes Boat Sliders for the Bronco.

Pics of my current Jeep with the Rugged Ridge boat sliders.

They mount to both the frame and body pinch seam, while also running along the lower rocker panel, for triple support.

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps 20200909_163134

I love those sliders, just enough to step in, solid and looks like they won't hang up much off road.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I cant believe Ford went through all this design, mirrors on the body, the squatch package, etc, and they would mount the rock rails to the pinch weld.

Reactions: RG7

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I cant believe Ford went through all this design, mirrors on the body, the squatch package, etc, and they would mount the rock rails to the pinch weld.
Well according to their testing, they state the RR are more than enough to support the weight of the Bronco. So they did not seem to be concerned about lack of frame mounts.

For me, if the rock rails actually stuck out like their supposed to and had some sort of integrated step, I'd be all over them.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
May go old school aluminum diamond plate...

Dubfound

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi’s
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps 3AAD9947-D960-4F7E-A7D1-68EB8F16A84D

I think the factory ones look pretty good in this Wildtrak that someone posted the other day. I am usually
not a fan of factory running boards.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I want a side shot to see how far out the running boards are compared to the doors and tires

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps 3AAD9947-D960-4F7E-A7D1-68EB8F16A84D

I think the factory ones look pretty good in this Wildtrak that someone posted the other day. I am usually
not a fan of factory running boards.
You just HAD to show another pic of Race Red!!?? didn't ya? It's growing on me...surprisingly.
Sponsored