Sponsored

Can you step on rear plastic bumper? And spare wheel?

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you step on rear plastic bumper? What about stepping on rear spare wheel (to access rooftop tent for example)?

Mostly asking Jeep JL owners here since I believe it should be similar on the Bronco.
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you step on rear plastic bumper? What about stepping on rear spare wheel (to access rooftop tent for example)?

Mostly asking Jeep JL owners here since I believe it should be similar on the Bronco.
I don't know if anyone but Ford can say for sure about the rear bumper, but it's worth noting that the steel bumper has steps and the standard bumper doesn't.

Do not stand on the spare. The swing gate can only take so much weight.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know if anyone but Ford can say for sure about the rear bumper, but it's worth noting that the steel bumper has steps and the standard bumper doesn't.

Do not stand on the spare. The swing gate can only take so much weight.
Plastic bumpers on other vehicles I've seen are supported by a steel frame and can be stepped on.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plastic bumpers on other vehicles I've seen are supported by a steel frame and can be stepped on.
I realize that but I hesitate to answer that definitively. Any plastic bumper is going to have steel inside, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can stand on it. I would guess yes. But it's just a guess.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would have never questioned if you could stand on the rear bumper of a 4wd vehicle with a roof rack.
You sure as heck better be able to.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I upgraded the tire carrier on my Jeep JK and confidently stand on my spare while it’s latched...

(my extra weight isn’t going to exceed the load rating of the carrier, especially considering it has to support the large spares bouncing down the road)

I would be more hesitant however to do it on a stock Bronco setup before we have more info and anecdotal information from people less hesitant to try. (Jeep had an issue of welds popping on the gates, presumably from people mounting larger/heavier spares.)

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You can stand on either...should be no problem. The swing gate is held on both sides when closed, so it's going to be able to take a whole lot more weight than you standing on the tire and not be a problem. My FJ had a rear plastic bumper, and I never gave standing on it a second thought. It's a tough 4x4, "you better be able to" as was said below.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why not just open the tailgate and stand on the rear floor?

Or it looks to me like you could easily stand on the rear tire on either side to get up there higher. At least on the Sasquatch version, which sticks out to the side quite a ways.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know it’s an old thread, but I stand on the plastic rear bumper on my Isuzu whenever I need to. It has steel under it and is quite solid (like jump up and down solid). I imagine the Bronco would be the same.
Sponsored