First Name
Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Long time Lurker here. With all the option prices rising on the Ford bronco I decided to take another look at the Defender. So I decided to price out a stripper offroader defender and then option up a Bronco to get them as close to the same feature set as reasonable. Its making me question fords Pricing models.

Defender 90 MSRP: $47,450
Off Road Pack : $1,550
Total: $49,000

Bronco Outer Banks (2door): $40,450
Sound deadening: $450 (needed to get even close to JLR road noise levels)
High package: $1,295 (360 system and other features)
Advanced 4x4: $1590
Total: $43,830

Difference: $5,170

If you want a squatch then the difference shrinks further.
Land Rover: $52,200 (+terrain response 2 and Air suspension)
Bronco: $48,855 (+sasquatch)
Difference: $3,345

All I wanted was a Bronco with 3 options, auto, climate control and lockers but that bumps me from 28.5k base to $42k. Never thought I would wish for Ford to give me a Porsche style options list.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand what magic all you guys are doing.

When I spec comparable 4-door 6cyl models, specifically a Badlands vs an "equal" defender build... the Defender comes out over $10k more.

::EDIT::

Okay... so I built a 6cyl Badlands with MIC, Tow, and LUX

vs

Base-ass defender with 6cyl 110 with sunroof, Tow, Heated Seats, and the "Off Road Pack" (electric diff).

AND THE DEFENDER IS OVER $15k MORE EXPENSIVE

Bronco Build
Land Rover Build

Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 16.10.27

Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 16.13.01

Last edited:

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last time I built a 90 I added the adventure package. It was around 68k. I also picked the bronze brown as my color! And this time about 60. Honestly I'd skip it if I want something of that nature I'd buy a used GWagon. Which I would not take off road. Bronco on the other hand does it all for me!

Screenshot_20201229-151142~2.png

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously there is a lot more to consider than the price, especially on paper. The value of the Defender, in my opinion, is much higher.

I want a Bronco, for Bronco sake. I like the Defender, and it's, I'm sure, a better vehicle than the Bronco, but I want what I want.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Long time Lurker here. With all the option prices rising on the Ford bronco I decided to take another look at the Defender. So I decided to price out a stripper offroader defender and then option up a Bronco to get them as close to the same feature set as reasonable. Its making me question fords Pricing models.

Defender 90 MSRP: $47,450
Off Road Pack : $1,550
Total: $49,000

Bronco Outer Banks (2door): $40,450
Sound deadening: $450 (needed to get even close to JLR road noise levels)
High package: $1,295 (360 system and other features)
Advanced 4x4: $1590
Total: $43,830

Difference: $5,170

If you want a squatch then the difference shrinks further.
Land Rover: $52,200 (+terrain response 2 and Air suspension)
Bronco: $48,855 (+sasquatch)
Difference: $3,345

All I wanted was a Bronco with 3 options, auto, climate control and lockers but that bumps me from 28.5k base to $42k. Never thought I would wish for Ford to give me a Porsche style options list.
As these are purchase as opposed to ownership costs do not forget the remainder of costs between the two. If you check the LR build site, mpg on the small defender 4 cylinder engine gets worse miles per gallon than my current 6 cylinder ecoboost. Thats right, the defender's "little" engine. And then there is the elephant in the room: reliability, maintenance and repairs, which if you track the respective companies' performance in this arena, there is virtually no comparison. Of course if you plan on getting rid of the defender before the warranty runs out, that's different. I put a quarter million miles on my last truck over twenty years. It was American as opposed to British. There is flat out no way a typical LR product could have lasted that long with so little drama.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Impressive maths. The material quality of the bronco interior will never match the Land Rovers. Pretty sure you'd have to compare the stock wildtrack package to the defender 90 with offroad package for closest comparison. Me too lazy to do maths today

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As these are purchase as opposed to ownership costs do not forget the remainder of costs between the two. If you check the LR build site, mpg on the small defender 4 cylinder engine gets worse miles per gallon than my current 6 cylinder ecoboost. Thats right, the defender's "little" engine. And then there is the elephant in the room: reliability, maintenance and repairs, which if you track the respective companies' performance in this arena, there is virtually no comparison. Of course if you plan on getting rid of the defender before the warranty runs out, that's different. I put a quarter million miles on my last truck over twenty years. It was American as opposed to British. There is flat out no way a typical LR product could have lasted that long with so little drama.
Also, considering how often it'll be returning for warranty work... dealer network makes a difference.

Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 16.24.20
Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 16.24.46

(note: That's a Toyota/Ford Dealer)

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Defender 90 vs Bronco 2 door download

I love the Defender 90 (Pangea Green with white contrasting roof on the white steelies make me feel some type of way), and I've found my mind wandering on their build and price a few times.

But I'd want to ensure my dealer is WELL STOCKED with comparably-equipped loaners I can drive while mine is being consistently unfucked under warranty.

Though my closest dealer is about 100 miles away, so it's a non-starter anyway.

Check out TFL's youtube videos about their Defender to get a glimpse at what the ownership experience entails.

OP
OP

zeaken

Outer Banks
First Name
Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yeah thats because the 6 is a hybrid. The mpg difference between the two is going to be negligible based on the bronco sport mpg though.

You are Correct though that the brand has a terrible rep. Honestly Ford has not been doing a lot better but their parts are at least cheaper to fix.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did a rough Defender B&P a few minutes ago. My BD 2-door, CG, tow package, advanced 4x4, and door bars comes in at $40,280. A similar-colored Defender with the off-road pack, tow package, and undershield package, with fancy gray paint is $52,225. The 2.0L turbo engine is 20 more HP and 15 less torque but mated to an automatic transmission, which is a no-go for me. But to be fair, I need to add $1,595 to my build to add the Ford 10-speed. So my build is $41,875. That's $10,350 more for the Defender with no manual trans and fixed roof and doors, and most likely with less off road capability and vulnerable rockers. Even less desirable is the Defender's cloth seats and fancy interior. Would I dare enter the Defender with my bog-smooched, muck-covered hunting boots after a morning of pheasant hunting? But I could keep chilled a few champagne cocktails in the optional center armrest cooler...

Nah, no thanks.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
dealer network makes a difference.
Despite the fact we treat "dealer" as a 4-letter word, Ford's service network is perhaps their biggest ace in the hole. Once I move away from the 'big 3', everyone else is the same 1 hour 40 minute drive you describe.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very confused by people saying the defender will be a more capable vehicle. Any of you want to fill me in on what I’m missing here?
Sponsored