Compare wind and tire noise with soft top vs MIC

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As someone earlier in the thread said - if you are worried about this then a Bronco may not be for you...

that said, driving a JL to compare is no mystery- there are at least ten in my neighborhood alone. Compared to older model jeeps they are shockingly quiet for what they are. I use my phone, talk to wife, etc regularly at highway speed with no issue. Between soft and hard top pretty minor difference when in motion. But if you are at a stoplight next to some Harley or semi then the hardtop is much quieter.
Sponsored

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looking at all of the interior photos showing the MIC top, I suspect this vehicle will be a real rattle trap. I've owned plenty of vehicles with removable hardtops; they all squeaked and rattled big time. Actually worse than a true canvas convertible top. I cannot explain why this is not deterring my decision to buy the Bronco :)

OP
OP
Djdmustang

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at all of the interior photos showing the MIC top, I suspect this vehicle will be a real rattle trap. I've owned plenty of vehicles with removable hardtops; they all squeaked and rattled big time. Actually worse than a true canvas convertible top. I cannot explain why this is not deterring my decision to buy the Bronco :)
Hey guys, I’m asking for help in determining what the comparable noise levels is to the Jeep not because I want a Jeep or I’m a Princess when it comes to noise! I want to make a good buying decision not having driven the soft vs hard modular top. Was hoping someone that drove the new Bronco could give a comparison to the JL.... so if the Bronco soft top is better than the JL soft top then that’s my choice at this time and I will wait for the white hard top with insulation down the line. If it’s better then I can go test the JL on the freeway and see if Thats my direction for now. I was hoping for help from this forum not “this is not the right truck for u”. I’m here trying to buy this Beast like y’all.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys, I’m asking for help in determining what the comparable noise levels is to the Jeep not because I want a Jeep or I’m a Princess when it comes to noise! I want to make a good buying decision not having driven the soft vs hard modular top. Was hoping someone that drove the new Bronco could give a comparison to the JL.... so if the Bronco soft top is better than the JL soft top then that’s my choice at this time and I will wait for the white hard top with insulation down the line. If it’s better then I can go test the JL on the freeway and see if Thats my direction for now. I was hoping for help from this forum not “this is not the right truck for u”. I’m here trying to buy this Beast like y’all.
I'm not sure you'll find anyone at this point (on this forum especially), who has not only driven a Bronco in both configurations, but who is also willing/able/authorized to comment on it.

We're going to have to wait until the press units are out, and the reporting embargo is lifted to hear that type of info.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder difference between MIC and Mod. Sound deadening is only with MIC right? Assuming, based on nothing MIC will be louder than mod, but what about MIC with sound deadening vs mod.

I doubt any difference would be enough to change my mind, just curious
What makes you say that?

Our information that we have is that the design of tops are ostensibly the same, except for the features and the materials...

...besides, even if Ford does't offer sound deadening for the Mod top from the factory, I have no doubt that the aftermarket will provide.

I'm planning on going with Hotheads. I have them in my Jeep and they are fantastic (way better than the Mopar option). They're on the forum and have already said they will be offering a set for the Bronco.

Hello from Hothead Headliners!

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never noticed a difference in the premium soft top vs hard top on my JKU.
The noisiest part by far was the tires. 35” mud terrains are LOUD. Comes right through the floor pan and can drive you nuts. I’m hoping the tires on the Bronco are quieter and the sound insulation is much better.
+1 on the tires being the biggest factor here. I ran GY Duratracs on my JKU with the premium soft top. All was relatively quiet until they started to wear down. Wind noise was not really a factor unless it was crazy windy out.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are YouTube videos of Jeep hardtop/soft top comparisons with a decibel meter and that's as close as anyone can estimate the difference right now. It's been brought up and discussed to death and that's part of the reason why you're getting some of these answers.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish there was an article about; “wind & tire noise” on the 4door Bronco. Comparing soft top vs MIC with sound insulation.... wish someone could do that test. Is noise comparable to the Jeep soft & hard top? What’s it like at 45, 65 & 80 on the highway. I know the Jeep Wrangler is not as aerodynamic so the Bronco should be much better. Reason I ask is it takes me 1-2 hours to get to the desert, I want to know how loud this beast will be specifically with the SAS package. Can u talk on the phone at highway speeds? This beast still has to function on my daily routine. I’m not looking for a Merc whisper quiet cabin just some guidelines....
I don't intend to challenge the validity of your question but, regardless of vehicle and/or top choice, when you start out deliberately equipping 35" M/T tires you're already kind of saying noise shouldn't be a concern to you.

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I moved to Manitoba I drove the 44 hours from Nova Scotia in my Ranger with my dad. I didn't have 35s on but 32 A/Ts. No AC. Middle of August. Windows down almost the whole way. Even if they are up the old Ranger is loud with wind. He took out his hearing aids. I put in my earplugs. We drove across more than half the country only talking at rest stops and at the daily camp spot. :ROFLMAO:

Can't imagine a Bronco being worse than this. Though it is still one of my best memories.

Tl;dr: I don't give a damn if it's loud. Bring on the Bronco!
I moved from Michigan to Florida years ago. I drove my car down in June. The A/C died in Toledo.

I drove with my windows open but in Georgia it was still unbearable. I had to stop and go into a fast food restaurant every hour for an A/C break.

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What makes you say that?

Our information that we have is that the design of tops are ostensibly the same, except for the features and the materials...

...besides, even if Ford does't offer sound deadening for the Mod top from the factory, I have no doubt that the aftermarket will provide.

I'm planning on going with Hotheads. I have them in my Jeep and they are fantastic (way better than the Mopar option). They're on the forum and have already said they will be offering a set for the Bronco.

Hello from Hothead Headliners!
That's a good point, I'm going off of my memory of some text on B&p... So yeah

My only concern with aftermarket is MY ability with anything fit and finish related.
I'm spending way more than I originally desired to and the last thing I want is anything on this ride looking janky.

But it does sound like hotheads provides a better solution than what jeep offers

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a good point, I'm going off of my memory of some text on B&p... So yeah

My only concern with aftermarket is MY ability with anything fit and finish related.
I'm spending way more than I originally desired to and the last thing I want is anything on this ride looking janky.

But it does sound like hotheads provides a better solution than what jeep offers
If anything the Hotheads in my jeep are waaaaay less janky than the mopar version. Would (and will) buy again.

OP
OP
Djdmustang

Djdmustang

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't intend to challenge the validity of your question but, regardless of vehicle and/or top choice, when you start out deliberately equipping 35" M/T tires you're already kind of saying noise shouldn't be a concern to you.
I agree, I will check out some videos on YouTube. I’m leaning towards the MIC with sound insulation, will be quieter and cooler in the summer. When they come out with better insulation I will consider that at that time. Thanks

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, I will check out some videos on YouTube. I’m leaning towards the MIC with sound insulation, will be quieter and cooler in the summer. When they come out with better insulation I will consider that at that time. Thanks
Definitely consider the Hotheads vs the Ford factory option for your insulation. Maybe Ford surprises me and ups the game for factory installed headliner insulation, that would be nice, and be one of the instances where I'd be happy to be wrong. Google a bit and find some reviews and vid's of the Hotheads in Wranglers. If Ford's is anything like Jeep's I'd much rather go with Hotheads - plus the owner totally stands by his product (and it is 100% made in America). I'm going dual roof (MIC + soft) and will pass on the factory liners.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bestop did a video on youtube about this very thing. Ran decibel tests and temp tests between hardtop and soft tops. Check it out, its a good video. The short of it is.....no real difference between hardtop and soft.

As the current owner of a JK with both hard and soft tops I must say that anyone claiming comparable noise between the two is a) working for the marketing department of a soft top maker or b) overdue for their audiologist exam. It is not even close. I can have done 12 hr continuous drives in a hardtop and only hated life moderately, while 6 hrs in a soft top will have your ears ringing.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish there was an article about; “wind & tire noise” on the 4door Bronco. Comparing soft top vs MIC with sound insulation.... wish someone could do that test. Is noise comparable to the Jeep soft & hard top? What’s it like at 45, 65 & 80 on the highway. I know the Jeep Wrangler is not as aerodynamic so the Bronco should be much better. Reason I ask is it takes me 1-2 hours to get to the desert, I want to know how loud this beast will be specifically with the SAS package. Can u talk on the phone at highway speeds? This beast still has to function on my daily routine. I’m not looking for a Merc whisper quiet cabin just some guidelines....
The sound insulation does nothing for outside noise. It’s just carpet glued on to muffle interior sound from bouncing off of a hard surface.
Sponsored