Sponsored

The IFS vs SFA Thread

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
or if it gets stolen, it will drive directly to the police station,after locking the thief inside of course.
That going to be rough on a soft top................ (or no top)
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As I've probably mentioned somewhere. My biggest issue would be ripping the CV boots
from them getting poked by fallen tree limbs/brush, and then running through water crossings.
(sometimes very deep, even on main trails around here).

Do they make upgraded bombproof boots, something like RCV has, but for stock
joints?
Im pretty sure RCV does make stockers. I looked up ones for a zj dana 30 i was planning to swap into an eagle. Just as expensive as all the bigger custom axles though.

Rockcrawls

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firebird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I personally lean toward a preference of a solid axle, IFS has many benefits as well. Check out this Ranger rolling on 40's built by an Ultra4 driver. It's definitely not stock, but IFS can be capable.

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I personally lean toward a preference of a solid axle, IFS has many benefits as well. Check out this Ranger rolling on 40's built by an Ultra4 driver. It's definitely not stock, but IFS can be capable.

not to deride his work, or IFS, but he spent almost as much as that truck cost to make it do what a stock JL/JK can do? Or was donated the parts seeing as how he has a name, but would cost me or you as much again?

Hell, my F-250 can do that.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

not to deride his work, or IFS, but he spent almost as much as that truck cost to make it do what a stock JL/JK can do? Or was donated the parts seeing as how he has a name, but would cost me or you as much again?

Hell, my F-250 can do that.

Very true there. He is BIG in the KOH races, think he won a couple of them. I'm a big SFA guy as well but ……. you can make an IFS work, but as stated here and many other places, IT IS $$$$$$ !!!!!. Look how much wider than a production Ranger, hell it even looks wider than the Ranger Raptor, than that Ranger is. Just like his KOH 4400 it is IFS with looooong arms on it, it's as wide as a full size truck. Great for IFS articulation / wheel travel but not so great for tight "woodsy" trails.

Ford Bronco The IFS vs SFA Thread 1588285571890

Typical long travel IFS kit is about 4K the kit above is stated as being more because it uses new custom made knuckles as well so maybe 5-6K ?? 2200 per cv axle shaft. 1600 per coil over. It's badass but $$$$$

That being said, in the past IFS has not been very "beefy", now technology has come a long way and R&D, by many people ,have overcome the short falls of early production IFS. So what I am hoping is that if Ford has done what they have done in the past …. build it FORD TOUGH. If it is just Explorer stuff in a different wrapper might not fair so well. ;) I'm thinking somewhere in-between Explorer and all out KOH stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Should have googled before I replied. Looks like he put an IFS Bronco on the pole for KOH 2020. I'll have to watch the replay but I do remember him having early problems this year.

https://modernjeeper.com/race-resul...fying-for-the-2020-nitto-king-of-the-hammers/

edit: I couldn't remember, just him being broke, actually it looks like he broke the rear u joint/driveshaft maybe ? on the last lap. the video I watched had his Ranger on it as well.
It's long ……...

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hope they fixed this on newer chassis/suspension. Sounds like TTB (Temporary Toe Behavior) annoying toe changes all over again, UGH!!

"All right for everyone who has been kind of curious I do have a bit of an update. Today I was playing around with the alignment machine on my truck just to check things and make sure things were settled in after running the suspension for about 3 weeks. I'm glad I did because I noticed that when I got my fat ass in the driver's seat the toll would go far out of spec. I would have to help for about 10 degrees easy between left and right. I decided to pay attention to this and fix it and see what happens on my way home. For the most part it took a lot of vibration away with the exception of low speed engine Buzz which is probably a normal thing on these. I will post a picture of what the alignment spec is going to be with the old man emu lift with no one in the driver's seat. Just be patient as it will be a few days until I get back to work."

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/vibration-at-55mph.7340/

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hope they fixed this on newer chassis/suspension. Sounds like TTB (Temporary Toe Behavior) annoying toe changes all over again, UGH!!

"All right for everyone who has been kind of curious I do have a bit of an update. Today I was playing around with the alignment machine on my truck just to check things and make sure things were settled in after running the suspension for about 3 weeks. I'm glad I did because I noticed that when I got my fat ass in the driver's seat the toll would go far out of spec. I would have to help for about 10 degrees easy between left and right. I decided to pay attention to this and fix it and see what happens on my way home. For the most part it took a lot of vibration away with the exception of low speed engine Buzz which is probably a normal thing on these. I will post a picture of what the alignment spec is going to be with the old man emu lift with no one in the driver's seat. Just be patient as it will be a few days until I get back to work."

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/vibration-at-55mph.7340/
Jeep JKUR (for a similar SFA problem point of view): When I went up 1/2” in front to reduce the take a little and switched from 285/70 33” to 295/79 34” Duratracs I started getting minor but annoying vibrations at highways speeds. The guys at Discount Tire must think I am crazy because I’ve had them rebalance a number of times. Alignment checks out within specs too. This is on a Dana 44 SFA, although the problems seem to come from different corners at different times. All the ball joints, etc are new. Steering stabilizer and track bar bushings. Bearings in front are new. messed with different tire pressures. Put on longer lower control arms in front to correct the caster geometry to within specs. I am only up 2-1/2 - 3”. ARB OME springs, but it was well behaved with the same springs before...

My conclusion is it just comes with the bigger tire territory.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep JKUR (for a similar SFA problem point of view): When I went up 1/2” in front to reduce the take a little and switched from 285/70 33” to 295/79 34” Duratracs I started getting minor but annoying vibrations at highways speeds. The guys at Discount Tire must think I am crazy because I’ve had them rebalance a number of times. Alignment checks out within specs too. This is on a Dana 44 SFA, although the problems seem to come from different corners at different times. All the ball joints, etc are new. Steering stabilizer and track bar bushings. Bearings in front are new. messed with different tire pressures. Put on longer lower control arms in front to correct the caster geometry to within specs. I am only up 2-1/2 - 3”. ARB OME springs, but it was well behaved with the same springs before...

My conclusion is it just comes with the bigger tire territory.
I've had huge issues over the past 7 years with brand new out of round tires, but that is a vibe that really never goes away, even after road force bal. Maybe it's partially due to less sidewall and bigger rims these days. My 79 on very old , 16.5 rim BFG AT 35's has no vib issues.

My newer cars with low profile tires, even perf AS's, flat spot a lot after only several days, but that eventually goes away (I live less than a mile form highway entrance, so it can be very pronounced with no mileage before highway). Hope that 35 tire option comes to fruition, so at least you have some recourse, if you are stock.........

Anyway, not sure how heavy that guy was. I align my EVO while I am in it, but that is going to be mostly a track car going forward. I know toe changes some, but does not go out of spec if I am in it or not (my mustang and 60 bird don't either) . I would be surprised something with much longer A -arms and tie rods would.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@OX1 you have pics of your Evo? Those are cars that I was never in to when they were around but I'm super in to now. I had convinced myself the STI was better, but then I spent some time around Subarus and f*ck that noise lol.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bought it new, only have 11K miles. Was real on the fence about making it a road course car
being these things as mint and low mil as mine is, still go for pretty big money. I'm a huge Ford guy, except for my Cummins diesel and this EVO. Fell in love with AWD cars (and Mitsu turbos) when I got a used Talon back in the day.

Trying to not do anything that is irreversible (IE, I bought used bumpers to hack up for splitter/
diffuser, brake ducts, etc...). As I said, has big bars and soft springs now for street ride quality.
Dreading taking that big front bar back out now that I want a track setup, have to remove virtually entire front drivetrain/sub frame.

This was first time I took it, about 2 years ago.

20181019_160303.jpg

Aligning............

20170222_185024a.jpg

Most camber I could get with factory adj bolts and bilsteins

20170227_193012a.jpg

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great news for those willing to throw a lot of money at your Bronco. Here is Casey Currie of Currie Enterprise (Famous 9" Builders among others) Talking about being excited to get to work on the Bronco SFA
glenn.gif

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know this is an old thread, but I did a surge instead of starting a new one I figured I'd tack this on.

I watch this you tube channel and this particular episode showed something interesting. Matt was out testing his gladiator in Moab, but in their group there was one guy that had a Toyota 4Runner which as we all know is IFS.

Now this was some serious rock crawling, but it was interesting to see Jeeps go over the obstacles, and the Toyota struggle, be unbalanced, and such.

One thing to note, is that they make a comment that the forerunner undid both his sway bars and it resulted in worse handling they thought.

Just odd to see a long ass gladiator go right up, and the IFS to almost flip... Oh and the guy who owns the 4runner turned around and redid the trail in the gladiator with much better results... So it ain't driver skill.

Sponsored