Christal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a featured trail write-up that I hope will be of interest to all Bronco enthusiasts, especially those who own/will own a 6G.

I recently saw a photo taken by a fellow Bronco enthusiast who goes by Utah.Bronco on Instagram, which showed latitude and longitude coordinates easter egg hidden on the new 2021 Ford Bronco.

Bronco Easter Egg Coordinates Bronco Knoll.jpg

I was extremely curious about where the coordinates were pointing, and was delighted to discover that the secret location was in Johnson Valley OHV Area, just a few hours from where I live. I had never been to JV before, but always wanted to go, so I began researching the area and planning a trip. I couldn't think of a more fitting day to visit the spot than New Years Day 2021, to celebrate the first day of the year of the new Bronco!

The coordinates are on the top of a small hill in the Northwestern part of the OHV area, about 5 miles East by Northeast of Cougar Buttes, just West of Anderson Dry Lake, and about 500 feet above the surrounding valley. I used Google Earth to scout out the three routes that I considered to be the most likely to allow me to get up the hill in my completely stock 1991 Bronco XLT.

Bronco Knoll 001.jpg

I first attempted the Southern route, but the steep 35%+ hill climb with loose rocks and gravel proved to be too steep. (I may try it again next time with lower pressure in the tires.) Since I couldn't make it that way, I drove to around to the South end of Anderson Dry Lake and ascended the hill on the slightly less steep route up the East side of the hill. Here I encountered a couple of rocky ledges and took a little minor damage to a tube step, but was able to make it.

20210105_165728.jpg

At the top, the trail turns to the West and follows the ridge to a somewhat prominent peak, with a relatively wide flat spot. At this point, I turned on the GPS (Locus app on my phone) and walked the last few feet to the precise location.

Screenshot_20210101-104100_Locus Map.jpg

I half expected to find a plaque or memorial left there by the Ford Bronco testing team (T-shirts on the Ford Bronco amazon store tout Johnson Valley as "The Original Proving Ground", and many of the reveal photos and videos were shot there). Instead, I found nothing but rocks and great views. Being a land surveyor by profession, and having a penchant for monuments marking unique and special locations, I naturally raised a small cairn to mark the spot and named it Bronco Knoll.

20210101_104938.jpg

On the descent, I attempted the third route, but was soon blocked by a very narrow rocky pass on a sidehill trail that I didn't dare attempt without supporting vehicles, and was forced to go back the way I had come. Maybe another day.

I'll be back in Johnson Valley again later this month and/or early next month for King of the Hammers, and will gladly lead a group of other adventurous souls to the site. I hope many Bronco owners will visit Bronco Knoll in the future and add a stone to the pile!

20210101_105604.jpg

(Send me a PM if you'd like to have a kml file of the routes.)
[Edited for typos]
Looking forward to adding a rock!
Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a featured trail write-up that I hope will be of interest to all Bronco enthusiasts, especially those who own/will own a 6G.

I recently saw a photo taken by a fellow Bronco enthusiast who goes by Utah.Bronco on Instagram, which showed latitude and longitude coordinates easter egg hidden on the new 2021 Ford Bronco.

Bronco Easter Egg Coordinates Bronco Knoll.jpg

I was extremely curious about where the coordinates were pointing, and was delighted to discover that the secret location was in Johnson Valley OHV Area, just a few hours from where I live. I had never been to JV before, but always wanted to go, so I began researching the area and planning a trip. I couldn't think of a more fitting day to visit the spot than New Years Day 2021, to celebrate the first day of the year of the new Bronco!

The coordinates are on the top of a small hill in the Northwestern part of the OHV area, about 5 miles East by Northeast of Cougar Buttes, just West of Anderson Dry Lake, and about 500 feet above the surrounding valley. I used Google Earth to scout out the three routes that I considered to be the most likely to allow me to get up the hill in my completely stock 1991 Bronco XLT.

Bronco Knoll 001.jpg

I first attempted the Southern route, but the steep 35%+ hill climb with loose rocks and gravel proved to be too steep. (I may try it again next time with lower pressure in the tires.) Since I couldn't make it that way, I drove to around to the South end of Anderson Dry Lake and ascended the hill on the slightly less steep route up the East side of the hill. Here I encountered a couple of rocky ledges and took a little minor damage to a tube step, but was able to make it.

20210105_165728.jpg

At the top, the trail turns to the West and follows the ridge to a somewhat prominent peak, with a relatively wide flat spot. At this point, I turned on the GPS (Locus app on my phone) and walked the last few feet to the precise location.

Screenshot_20210101-104100_Locus Map.jpg

I half expected to find a plaque or memorial left there by the Ford Bronco testing team (T-shirts on the Ford Bronco amazon store tout Johnson Valley as "The Original Proving Ground", and many of the reveal photos and videos were shot there). Instead, I found nothing but rocks and great views. Being a land surveyor by profession, and having a penchant for monuments marking unique and special locations, I naturally raised a small cairn to mark the spot and named it Bronco Knoll.

20210101_104938.jpg

On the descent, I attempted the third route, but was soon blocked by a very narrow rocky pass on a sidehill trail that I didn't dare attempt without supporting vehicles, and was forced to go back the way I had come. Maybe another day.

I'll be back in Johnson Valley again later this month and/or early next month for King of the Hammers, and will gladly lead a group of other adventurous souls to the site. I hope many Bronco owners will visit Bronco Knoll in the future and add a stone to the pile!

20210101_105604.jpg

(Send me a PM if you'd like to have a kml file of the routes.)
[Edited for typos]
Now this was a post worth reading! Thanks, very cool. Looks like you had a nice adventure too.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool adventure! Thanks for sharing. It'll be neat to see the rock pile grow into a monument.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very cool adventure, thank you for the effort and for posting.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If there's nothing obvious at that location, then what are people's guesses for what happened there? Somebody took a whiz or buried a deuce? Wrap party? Something broke?

Thanks for finding Bronco Mecca!
On the reveal video I think it was at the end there were the three Broncos parked in a row. If I remember right it looked pretty similar to that area. Have to go watch the reveal again.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If there's nothing obvious at that location, then what are people's guesses for what happened there? Somebody took a whiz or buried a deuce? Wrap party? Something broke?

Thanks for finding Bronco Mecca!
Knowing Ford it's supposed to be some other area entirely and they just bungled the coordinates. :ROFLMAO:

Pretty cool to have a little shrine though. Even if random cairns drive me mad.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking you should of took a metal detector, or shovel.......lol. Very awesome, thanks for sharing!
YES! Might be a prototype Capable Bumper buried there, and could have been the only person to have one in '21

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very cool. Hope to make it out there and add a rock to the pile someday.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One delivery before the end of the year (and another mentioned) totally makes it not vaporware...

They've just eked out a couple and they're not road-proven by any means. Even the greatest engineers at Ford and the fresh-out mechanical engineers driving around for NVH will tell anyone, except their bosses, that they can't find every problem before it hits the streets. The Mach-E has zero credibility aside from the Ford name and the stolen Mustang moniker which means nothing since it's brand new for Ford and shares nothing with a Mustang. They're practically starting over with a new lineup and have nearly as much risk as a brand new car manufacturer would have.

@pan-y-cerveza I'm not sure if it does now, but my point was about the novelty of the Transit. I missed thinking it through and it has been out long enough to somewhat make its bones, but the E-Series cutaway still exists. The Transit is just not filling that role yet.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One delivery before the end of the year (and another mentioned) totally makes it not vaporware...

They've just eked out a couple and they're not road-proven by any means. Even the greatest engineers at Ford and the fresh-out mechanical engineers driving around for NVH will tell anyone, except their bosses, that they can't find every problem before it hits the streets. The Mach-E has zero credibility aside from the Ford name and the stolen Mustang moniker which means nothing since it's brand new for Ford and shares nothing with a Mustang. They're practically starting over with a new lineup and have nearly as much risk as a brand new car manufacturer would have.

@pan-y-cerveza I'm not sure if it does now, but my point was about the novelty of the Transit. I missed thinking it through and it has been out long enough to somewhat make its bones, but the E-Series cutaway still exists. The Transit is just not filling that role yet.
Wrong thread?

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those battle scars are kickass and a nice souvenir from your visit. This is precisely how automobiles become a part of us, like a friend or family member. They’re often with us on our most memorable adventures, sharing experiences with us, and sometimes the sole reason we’re able to have any kind of unique experience at all (in the case of more specialized vehicles). I find that I develop a much deeper connection to a car after a long road trip, especially if it didn’t leave me stranded or otherwise cause some huge inconvenience.

This may be my favorite post on 6g since joining. Well done, sir!

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can't wait for the day I'm cruising west out to Nevada in my bronco! Cool breeze on my hair. Headed down the highway of Valley of Fire.. down to Johnson Valley...then hop over to Death Valley see the racetrack playa!! Def hope this stays enacted for years be a stopping point in my adventure!
And the right time of year for your trip is March / April. This of course depends on the year. They are all different.
Sponsored